Would you buy without a warranty?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Getting to the point, I am currently in Europe for a few months and have the opportunity to pick up a Canyon bike. Would you buy such a bike knowing full well that once you moved back to the states the warranty would be void? I come from a mountain bike background where a warranty is a must, how often are road frames having issues?
Instagram @seanblurr

Nutellaurent

by Nutellaurent

so far i never had a problem with my frames, but personally i wouldn't buy a new frame without warranty. you never know...flaw in the carbon etc...
is the warranty only covered by the shop and not by canyon themselves?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

de zwarten

by de zwarten

you can't buy Canyon through a shop.
But I guess you can claim warranty through some European friend/middleman?

ave

by ave

It's much more likely to crash a frame, than to have any manufacturing defect.
Also, they are not that expensive...

So, I would.

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Canyon deals direct, so if I were living in Europe all the time I would just mail my frame back direct to them, but moving back to the states, they wouldn't accept the shipment from a US address. Risk vs. benefits...
Instagram @seanblurr

53x12

by 53x12

I would rock a Canyon without a warranty. As ave mentioned, more likely for you to crash your frame than it to be a warranty issue. If something ever did arise, I'm sure you could find some European WW willing to help you get a warranty replacement for a few Euros to cover their troubles and buy them a few cups of nice coffee.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

There is a reason there is warranty. The likelihood of failure is small within the warranty period.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

mattyb95

by mattyb95

Have they explicitly stated they would not accept a warranty claim from the US even if you can prove you bought it legitimately at their factory shop say?

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Negative. But there is a legal issue with them sending product into the United States.
Instagram @seanblurr

mrfish

by mrfish

Have you looked at using Shipitto? They have an Austrian address which will forward any package you wish to buy in Europe to the US. They also do assisted purchases to avoid non-local credit cards being blocked etc. As long as Canyon is happy to ship your package to/from this address I don't think there is a big issue.

Or you could work with a friend in Europe, ask (or pay) someone on ww to help you out, or find a work colleague who would be willing to carry something back for you.

Personally I would take the view that you are getting a great bike at a great price and only worry about the warranty issue if you have a problem.

53x12

by 53x12

As mr fish mentions, worry about warranty stuff if it ever comes up. Or are you expecting a warranty issue with the frame. If you are expecting a warranty issue, why buy a Canyon frame in the first place as you don't have confidence in it. Don't make a big deal out of nothing at this point.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Just food for thought. I'm pretty much settled on an Aeroroad, but before I purchased I wanted to ask WW.
Instagram @seanblurr

Geoff

by Geoff

That is an unfortunate by-product of the quest for stuff that is not commonly available. I can't remember the last time I had a warranty on bike stuff.

I'll bet you'd be the only kid on the block with an Aeroad! what price would you put on that?
Last edited by Geoff on Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

seanblurr

by seanblurr

About what the frame cost :lol:
Instagram @seanblurr

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lobular

by lobular

I typically buy my frames/bikes 2nd hand so obviously no warranty....am yet to have an issue (on to bike no. 6 now). My theory is if I can get them at the right price and something does happen, I should easily be able to find something else. Some people have great luck with warranty issues and are rolling on something new within days.....others have to wait months and end up with something they're not happy with. Kind of like bike servicing from LBS.....I'd rather sort it out myself.