Madfiber wheels in the house!!!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

CharlesM

by CharlesM

:lol:

If I opened a wheel company and the concern with my 1080 gram 60-66mm Deep wheels was the viability of the White Industries Hub parts, I would guess I'de hit a home run...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

If I were to open a wheel company and would be concerned about the viability of the White Industries Hub parts of my 1080 gram 60-66mm deep wheels, I would guess I would be worried too... :lol:

CharlesM

by CharlesM

about what?

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Mario Jr. wrote:
11.4 wrote:
Lightweight uses DT in all wheels.

Not true... they use Tune as an option in their lighter wheels.

ScienceIsCool

by ScienceIsCool

PezTech wrote::lol:

If I opened a wheel company and the concern with my 1080 gram 60-66mm Deep wheels was the viability of the White Industries Hub parts, I would guess I'de hit a home run...

Kind of true, but I feel that there are so many unanswered questions. The biggest one for me, is how they were able to make a 60-66 mm deep rim with so little carbon? The wheels are so light that they must be using less material. Weight savings in the spokes, true but that's another concern. Why will these spokes *not* be susceptible to catastrophic failure a la R-SYS? Every safe design I've seen incorporates kevlar strands to prevent a broken spoke from disintegrating.

And lastly, considering the design rules that have been violated (flat spokes, v-shaped rim, etc) why wouldn't these perform worse aerodynamically than other well-proven and measured designs?

From my perspective, we only know three facts about these wheels: how they look; how much they cost; how much they weigh. A couple of test rides won't be adequate to answer all the other unknowns.

John Swanson

CarbonSportsGmbH
in the industry

by CarbonSportsGmbH

xnavalav8r wrote:
Mario Jr. wrote:
11.4 wrote:Lightweight uses DT in all wheels.

No longer.
We stopped using TUNE ~03/2008! and switched to DT Swiss 190 Ceramic for Obermayer and Ventoux 190.
Andreas Schiwy, CarbonSports GmbH
http://www.lightweight.info
support[at]lightweight.info

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

PezTech wrote:about what?

about the fact that it would be a concern, which it isn't. just saying those hubs are fine.. must be my poor english.. :D

Tibber67

by Tibber67

ScienceIsCool wrote:
PezTech wrote::lol:

Kind of true, but I feel that there are so many unanswered questions. The biggest one for me, is how they were able to make a 60-66 mm deep rim with so little carbon? The wheels are so light that they must be using less material. Weight savings in the spokes, true but that's another concern. Why will these spokes *not* be susceptible to catastrophic failure a la R-SYS? Every safe design I've seen incorporates kevlar strands to prevent a broken spoke from disintegrating.

And lastly, considering the design rules that have been violated (flat spokes, v-shaped rim, etc) why wouldn't these perform worse aerodynamically than other well-proven and measured designs?

From my perspective, we only know three facts about these wheels: how they look; how much they cost; how much they weigh. A couple of test rides won't be adequate to answer all the other unknowns.

John Swanson

First, traditional carbon rims have more material to prevent spokes from pulling through the rim, with Mad Fibers method of attachment, this is less of an issue so that they can use less material.

Second, R-Sys type failures aren't an issue, as Mad Fiber spokes are loaded only in tension, where as the R-sys spokes are like wagon wheels with the spoke subject to tension and compression.

musket

by musket

Also, many of the strength and weight gains come from improved carbon processes, allowing a higher ratio of carbon to resin in finished product.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

strobbekoen wrote:
PezTech wrote:about what?

about the fact that it would be a concern, which it isn't. just saying those hubs are fine.. must be my poor english.. :D

Have you seen how bad I write? How would I know if you had poor english!? :beerchug:

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

Mine are going great thus far.
Very stiff, quite stable in cross-winds, nice ride quality.
No complaints.
Though they do sound a little "hollow" when going over major ruts and RR tracks, they've held up perfectly.
Just need to get them on a bike that fits me better :roll:

ScienceIsCool

by ScienceIsCool

Tibber67 wrote:First, traditional carbon rims have more material to prevent spokes from pulling through the rim, with Mad Fibers method of attachment, this is less of an issue so that they can use less material.

Second, R-Sys type failures aren't an issue, as Mad Fiber spokes are loaded only in tension, where as the R-sys spokes are like wagon wheels with the spoke subject to tension and compression.

In my first round of questions, I made the point that this method of attachment (a narrow aspect ratio cut through the sidewall and sidewall loading) is so different that it's unknown what stresses there are on the sidewall absent any modelling and testing. Has this been done? You sure that this requires less material than a standard spoke bed?

And I haven't seen any tension numbers on the spokes. You sure they never experience near complete detensioning during normal loads? And complete destruction of the spoke will happen under tension or compression anyways. That is why every commercially available wheel with carbon fiber spokes is also reinforced with kevlar strands.

I'm sorry everyone for my severe skepticism. The whole scenario reminds me too much of LEW. Supposedly some guys with aerospace experience can use less material than anyone else, use questionable engineering, charge a mint and somehow make a superior product.

I'm not saying it's *impossible*, just that when you go against well established engineering principles you shouldn't be surprised when people call you on it. Actual numbers and test data should be a minimum if you're going to ask people to believe you.

John Swanson

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

As for the way the spokes are attached to the rim, that is quite similar to the way carbonsports does it no ? Except here the spoke enters the rim a bit higher up while on Lightweights the spokes from each side of the hub cross in a X shape but are also bonded along the side of the rim. Either way, it would make sense you need less material as compared to wheels with standard spokes since the force of the tension of the spokes on these works on a really small surface area.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

CarbonSportsGmbH wrote:
xnavalav8r wrote:
Mario Jr. wrote:
11.4 wrote:Lightweight uses DT in all wheels.

No longer.
We stopped using TUNE ~03/2008! and switched to DT Swiss 190 Ceramic for Obermayer and Ventoux 190.

I stand corrected. :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lanierb

by lanierb

ScienceIsCool wrote:And lastly, considering the design rules that have been violated (flat spokes, v-shaped rim, etc) why wouldn't these perform worse aerodynamically than other well-proven and measured designs?

You put this last but I actually think it should go first. If the rim is really v-shaped then I would want to see some wind tunnel figures before spending any money.
CLB