Madfiber wheels in the house!!!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

wojchiech

by wojchiech

jwilliams wrote:Madfibers claim a 2nd in the PRO race in San Diego this weekend, the guy who took first was 17 years younger !!! and on a Time RXR.

ahh, the Pista Palace Team. The guy who won has a twin brother on the same team who I used to go to school with. Good to see him doing well. :beerchug: and cool to see a relatively new wheel doing well in real-world race situations.

also, here's a video of Madfiber that roadbikereview put up for NAHBS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9pjSP97PNc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

bluhorizan wrote:Still wonder why they went with a full 60 mm/ 66 mm wheel profile rather than a more all around 45 mm profile. Could the structure be inherently stronger with the shorter, flat spokes.

Pez already addressed this. Spokes are glued to the rim so the angle for attachment is better with deeper rims, he says. Unclear to me from this photo:

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

Yep, I'm not really seeing the angle being an issue... seems like gluing the spoke to the opposite side of the rim would be best if that was case.

Chipotle

by Chipotle

Spokes are glued to the opposite side of the rim, and the rim depth was chosen so that the spoke interfaces at the same angle as the rim. This results in a joint that is loaded in pure shear, as adhesive is strongest in shear. You want to avoid tensile stress, and more importantly, peel stress, in adhesive joints.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

The spokes and rim are bonded in a very wide contact patch to the opposite side of the rim to the hub. They pull directly in line and the angle is an important part of the structure...

It's not really accurate to describe it as glued to the rim... There is a lot of material at the transition from rim to spoke spreading the load to a very large portion of the rim.

kdogg32

by kdogg32

I think it's great that Madfiber is giving LW, Reynolds, and Mavic a run for their money because in the end, riders are going reap the benefits. $2,600 is a steal (relative of course) and will hopefully drive carbon wheel prices down. :P

maxima

by maxima

Should add a 1k or 3k fiber range to complete with LW Or Bora. The stickers are crap as well. They will get this right someday and move up the ladder of high end wheel

fleshpile

by fleshpile

Why'd they use a 90 degree weave pattern for the spokes? Tension is only being applied in one direction so it would be lighter to use unidirectional carbon for the spokes.

cmh

by cmh

Interesting review...not sure if it was posted or not...
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... lset-44586

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

cmh wrote:Interesting review...not sure if it was posted or not...
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... lset-44586

Some observations:

Spokes seem to be under-tensioned if they are becoming unloaded during typical riding conditions. This will adversely effect stiffness.

Oscillations at 35-40 mph... caused by imbalance... and all light rims do this?

The WI hub design with the set screw and collar isn't inherently problematic, but I don't know about this application.

cmh

by cmh

rruff wrote:
cmh wrote:Interesting review...not sure if it was posted or not...
Oscillations at 35-40 mph... caused by imbalance... and all light rims do this?

Are you asking this or stating this?

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

Did you read the review? That's where I got it.

cmh

by cmh

I wasn't sure if you were agreeing with them or not.

USofChay

by USofChay

fleshpile wrote:Why'd they use a 90 degree weave pattern for the spokes? Tension is only being applied in one direction so it would be lighter to use unidirectional carbon for the spokes.

Cosmetic layer?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

So what happens when a spoke or two gets mangled? Is is repairable like a regular tubular with spokes where a rebuild is just done and away you go? Or is it an expensive conversation piece now of what once was?