Madfiber wheels in the house!!!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

CharlesM

by CharlesM

I'll promise you that we will see documented product failure.

Nobody builds unbreakable wheels.

The important part will be the amount of problems and how they're handled...

jwilliams

by jwilliams

KW I had team members at that race and not one person said it was a failure, but crossing tires as it was a cat 4/5 if it was the same race. But I can ask some of the guys. I won't take it as truth until I see it or hear it first hand.
Wilier Zero.7 SR11 being built
2011 C59 Di2 AX SRT 24's, THM Calvica, Fibula
2010 RXR VIP @ Red RXR Sold
MY RXR VIP-> viewtopic.php?f=10&t=77056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Cat 4/5 racers running Madfiber wheels.

:roll:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

KWalker

by KWalker

Its Arizona and So Cal, almost everyone is running high dollar setups and wheels in the lower categories. Its quite amusing actually.

JWilliams- Thats why I said it was just hearsay. The report was from my friend who was riding literally right next to the guy when it happened and didn't happen to see foul play, but wasn't 100% sure there wasn't any. They were both in the back of the field, totally using those weight and aero benefits to their advantage :roll:
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

jwilliams

by jwilliams

prendrefeu wrote:Cat 4/5 racers running Madfiber wheels.

In socal it's the norm. Why not if you got it. The Starbucks used to be full of exotic cars, now it's $15,000 bikes On the weekends
Wilier Zero.7 SR11 being built
2011 C59 Di2 AX SRT 24's, THM Calvica, Fibula
2010 RXR VIP @ Red RXR Sold
MY RXR VIP-> viewtopic.php?f=10&t=77056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yeah. What pisses me off most is that people are willing to drop a lot of money on bike products, yet entirely unwilling to spend a fraction of that price to help further the sport they love so much. ... Convincing a blinged out racer to spend $3000 on a pair of wheels for a Cat 5 crit is easy, yet convincing that same person to spend $40 on a yearly membership to the Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition (whose work actually helps them continue their sport, continue their ability to train out on the roads) would be entirely unheard of. I find it f*cking pathetic. :evil:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

rhayles

by rhayles

Kdub, I was in the race and that kid went down right behind me. I am pretty sure it was because hes a terrible bike handler/rider that he crashed, not his Madfiberzz. His tire was however rolled off the wheel after the crash.
There are two kids on that team (presumably juniors(due to cassette size)) that both ride custom painted Willier Cento Uno's wiht Di2, Madfiber on one, Zipp808 on the other, both with custom wheel decals. its redic $12k crit bikes

KWalker

by KWalker

Word, I thought it was you or JJ who made the Madfibersplosion remark. I thought it was custom LWs on the Cento. Them shits are ugly as all hell especially the one with neon orange logos.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Yeah, there's a big difference beteween a wheel failure causing a crash and a crash causing a wheel failure. Inquiring minds want to know which.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

prendrefeu wrote:Cat 4/5 racers running Madfiber wheels.

I guess I didn't mention this before, but the guy I raced against two weeks ago was a 4 - he ran the Madfibers first in the 4/5 race and then the 3/4 race later in the day.

x43x

by x43x

Bike Tires Direct has the wheelset in Campy for 15% off, making the price $2209. Plus you get $220 in VIP points so you could get the tires for free. Cheaper than the Enve's I have on order. DAMN IT!

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

PezTech wrote:Yeah, the Standard LW's are no slouches... The big kicker here is that you can get a set of Mad's for the cost of a rear LW and not give up much if anything.

In he US yes, not where i live :wink:
so should add "in the us" :lol:

I have not tried the madfiber wheels, would love to, interesting wheels.

Also, just a question, since the spokes are flat and align to the rim in a similar way to LW's (although the construction is totally different), and the madfiber spokes are wide and flat while the LW's are oval, why would they be more aero ? Also, since the rim is moving a lot faster with respect to the air, doesn't it make more sense to have the rim shaped in such a way as to get the best balance at different yaw angles (I know the LW's don't have that quality either) ?

CharlesM

by CharlesM

I'll wait for an aero test to talk about aero, but the rim profiles for both Lightweight and Mad have a lot to do with the construction... The want the spokes pulling in line with the side walls and that would make shaping the rims at the point of spoke attachment harder. Thats not to say that they couldnt toss some sort of a vortex killing bump shape at the inside edge though.

bodid

by bodid

I tried buying wheels from them but they're backed up for 3 months. Guess I'll go back to ENVE. They're very nice there and Jake is a good guy to work with

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

bodid wrote:I tried buying wheels from them but they're backed up for 3 months.
If you're referring to Mad Fiber, that's curious, as their web site as of a few minutes ago indicates they have all models in stock. Is Mad Fiber's web site not up to date, you are trying to buy other than direct from Mad Fiber, or there's some other explanation?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com