Madfiber wheels in the house!!!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ChristianK

by ChristianK

fireball05 wrote:Christian,

When did they switch to "newer hub components" I just got my set about 2 months ago and am wondering if I have "new" or "old".

Thanks!
This review has more information about the front hub and how the original design has limited access to the set screw. I have never had to access that set screw. My updated hub still has limited access with a normal allen tool, but I can tell that the trueness has improved.

Being that this review was published more than two months ago, I would suspect that you have the updated design. It cannot hurt to call MF to ask. They keep all serial numbers on file and should be able to track what you have.

Christian.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

ChristianK wrote:My updated hub still has limited access with a normal allen tool, but I can tell that the trueness has improved.

The set screw adjusts bearing preload though, I'm not sure how trueness relates?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ChristianK

by ChristianK

ricerocket wrote:
ChristianK wrote:My updated hub still has limited access with a normal allen tool, but I can tell that the trueness has improved.

The set screw adjusts bearing preload though, I'm not sure how trueness relates?
My hubs went from the original design to the newer design and part of that process helped increase trueness of the front wheel. I was not explained the details, I just received an e-mail from Mad Fiber stating that this was a consequence of the hub work/new hub design. I was a bit skeptical as well, but sure enough...the same serial # is on the front wheel and the trueness is improved.

They may have the ability to address wheel trueness upon servicing the front hub, dunno.

Christian.

djm

by djm

Without having read all the 28 pages of this thread I risk asking my question :-)

Are these wheels really noisy?

I believe some guy next to me in a race this weekend were riding Madfiber wheels, and whenever he'd get up from his saddle and throw his bike from side to side there would be one hell of a noise.. Something wrong or by design?

lasrever

by lasrever

laager wrote:
djm wrote:Are these wheels really noisy?

Mine are silent.

think it may be related to rider weight (i'm 205) - mine are no nosier than any other deep dish wheel in most situations - there is a bit more noise when standing but they certainly have a distinct sound when you go over a pot-hole or whatnot.

it's hard to describe and takes a bit of getting used to but given where i live is strewn with cobbles and half-paved-over industrial train tracks i got used to it pretty quickly.

the closest i could describe it as is the 'thunk' when a truck suspension bottoms out and hits the frame bumper, disconcerting the first few times but then you realize it is what it is and everything is fine.

these are, however, really awesome wheels.
thanks,
nick

djm

by djm

I guess it could be related to rider weight perhaps then..

The guy with the noisy set was easily over 200 pounds.

bricky21

by bricky21

Does Madfiber guarantee the weight to be exact or is there some tolerance? 15g. is about 2 1/4%.

bricky21

by bricky21

Please keep us posted as to their response.

FWIW I have seen weight differences much greater than 15g. when weighing things on different scales and also with different placements on the scale(hanging a frame from the dropout vs. the head tube vs. the top tube).

Be sure to get as much detail as you can about how they weigh their wheels. Scale make/model/date of manufacture, environmental conditions of the room where they weigh the wheels, density of the structure on which they place/hang their scale, and most importantly the qualifications of those who are doing the weighing and those who are monitoring all conditions related to the accuracy of the weighing.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Maybe they are shipping them to Italy to have them weighed? It's really the only likely explanation. :mrgreen:

CharlesM

by CharlesM

They're quoting 1085 per set and you have a set that is 1088... And they're doing running design tweaks.

Really, honestly, that's laughable.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

1088g for this wheelset, given it's depth is really nice. If 3 grams or 15g bothers you, maybe you should have looked at a different wheel to begin with :noidea:

CharlesM

by CharlesM

They've updated the hub internals and made other changes beyond simple weight reduction through cleaning up the process and not all of those changes lowered weight. You should email them again. post the reply they give you. past that, (and I dont mean this to sound overly mean) you're just hearing your own gums flapping too.

If I'm madfiber though I'm not going to tear apart a wheel looking for a couple of grams when nothing else is wrong.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Part of the nice thing about the madfiber wheels was the price point for this lightweight high profile wheel. It looks like they jacked up the price to closer to $3,000 for the standard bearings and over $3,000 for the ceramic version. Is this price increase related to all these new improvements? That being said, one should steer clear of stores selling them for the original 2,500?

ricerocket

by ricerocket

gumgardner wrote:hat being said, one should steer clear of stores selling them for the original 2,500?

Probably not, intro pricing is pretty common for the first year, be it cars, boats, planes, motorcycles, etc.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

the changes are very small and there were no issues at all with early sets... If you can find the cheaper ones, I would grab em...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com