Madfiber wheels in the house!!!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

Above / below...I'm confused.
Do you mean does it have a raised profile?
Yes, just slightly.
I'll take some closer photos tonight.

Oh, and that MSRP is $2599 with...
- Wheelbags (still on the way)
- Brake pads (look identical to Zipp Tangente cork)
- Quick release skewers (very similar to Lightweight)

-Mike

Getter

by Getter

Sorry...maybe I should have worded it better.

Wanted to know if the finish on the brake track in above the final layer or below.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

I posted a similar question on your blog, but Zipp and Hed have shown wider rims are more aerodynamic when mated with 23 mm tires. Are these also relatively wide to provide a smooth transition from tire to rim? It appears such from your photo.

SFcyclist

by SFcyclist

Those things look like they could be more than a handful in crosswinds. Any word on that aspect of their performance?

cinema

by cinema

Just looking at these wheels scares my cycling shorts off of me.

neomoz

by neomoz

cinema wrote:Just looking at these wheels scares my cycling shorts off of me.

The way those spokes are bonded to the rim is scary. :shock:

cinema

by cinema

neomoz wrote:
cinema wrote:Just looking at these wheels scares my cycling shorts off of me.

The way those spokes are bonded to the rim is scary. :shock:

yeah, you couldn't pay me to ride these, no matter how much testing they claim to have done, it just looks unsafe. The carbon spokes look paper thin, not to mention the way the finish looks around the bonding

Wizzo

by Wizzo

I remember tugging on the spokes and they seemed pretty solid. I guess only time will tell or...until someone beefs it :thumbup:

jrdm91

by jrdm91

sweet wheels except for that bonding of the spokes... lets face it, if they break theres got to be some kind of warranty or liability from Mad Fiber...and besides for a wheel that cost $2500 and is somewhere around 900g...forgot the right numbers... its a steal even if its not as good looking as the $6000 Reynolds RZR...can you justify the extra $3600 for 100g lighter...weight weenie or not thats F****** ridiculous.

nice set... let me know how they work out, im heading to boston in a few weeks ( NO TAXES!!!!!) and may look up to buy a set if they hold up...maybe.

jrdm91

jrdm91

by jrdm91

where in canada are you from?

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Gotta love the poo leaking in here.

Ignorance is bliss...

And/or Terror :lol

Toss up the extra picks Cip.

I have a set of Evo Slicks stretching right now as a set is shipping...

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Charles can we trust in you to weigh them?

Great work Mike and pic's actually better than normal - but seems we always get two out of three :doh: :lol: no weights!?? :(

edit: I think I'm also going to be very much alone here when I say....I actually don't mind the stickers.
Last edited by Tinea Pedis on Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

natiedean24

by natiedean24

I'd have to agree - "That's Ugly" (speaking of the finish).

by 11.4

I have a pair for testing at the moment.

1061 grams including skewers, without tires or glue.

So far we've not only put road miles on them with several riders, but also tested them under reproducible conditions on an outdoor track versus Zipps, Lightweights, Reynolds, and Edge wheels.

Short version on wind performance: There's a slight fluttering as a yaw angle starts, possibly because of the sharp edges. However, the wheel is no busier than an Edge 65 or a Zipp 404 at 34 mph with an 18 mph crosswind on the track. The lightness may create the sense of instability, but they handle just fine.

Short version on construction: I haven't seen their written guarantee, but I can tell you that if you see the inside of the rim, the spokes have a very substantial gluing surface. Further, this isn't just a dab of crazy glue. MadFiber uses state-of-the-art gluing techniques that are used to assemble wings of attack fighters. I have a feeling they just might be up to a pair of bike wheels. They hired top talent out of Boeing's aerospace composite group who know how to do this kind of thing right.

These are a rather radical new design but their engineering design has incorporated the idea of minimizing failures. They know that they have to replace a wheel if it fails from a manufacturing defect, so they are using techniques proven in aerospace to ensure the wheels won't fail. So far the pair I have has remained perfectly true. They've already won a couple races under different riders and will see more wins as other riders try them out.

I think they have a good strategy with sound engineering. Most of what I've read here and in forums on Road Bike Review is woefully uninformed and ignorant. These wheels do have to stand the test of time, but for a new wheel design they've done this well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

Updated the blog with further pics, info, weights, etc...
http://mikesbikeparts.blogspot.com/2010 ... anada.html

Quick thoughts for y'all:
- The company is run by some very reputable guys...I highly doubt they would be putting out a product that wasn't thoroughly tested and fully safe.
- So far my brief ride impressions are very good in terms of wind-up, stiffness, solidity and braking.
- Weight came in slightly above claimed, but still very competitive in the marketplace.

Otherwise, I've posted a fair amount of info in the blog, so feel free to comment there, or continue to ask questions and I'll try to address everything.

-Mike