2011 FELT

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spartan

by spartan

superdave,

why the huge discrepancy in price in canada vs usa

Hello,

Here are the prices and ETA for your FELT request:

Frame Kit FC 2 199$ (ETA: early november)
Frame Kit F1 3 099$ (ETA: early november)

SPASO Sports
info@spaso.com
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ladeira

by Ladeira

SuperDave,

Could you please tell us about the TT / Tri bikes?

I know its not much tri bike users in here but i really like this thread and im a tri bike rider :D

Thanks

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

spartan wrote:superdave,

why the huge discrepancy in price in canada vs usa

Hello,

Here are the prices and ETA for your FELT request:

Frame Kit FC 2 199$ (ETA: early november)
Frame Kit F1 3 099$ (ETA: early november)

SPASO Sports
info@spaso.com

I'm not certain. I'm afraid I do not have the importation costs including all landing, duty clearing and warehousing, personel overhead, profitability, marketing budgets, and fiscal planning of all of our distributors.

I'd guess that the bikes cost more money in Canada because they cost more money to the distributor. Same for just about every other retail good sold there.

-SD

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Ladeira wrote:SuperDave,
Could you please tell us about the TT / Tri bikes?
I know its not much tri bike users in here but i really like this thread and im a tri bike rider :D
Thanks

Sure, no problem, I've got quite a bit of info on the TT/Tri line, aside from the information provided on our website, what would you like to know?

-SD

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Is the F line using 27.2 seatpost?

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Ahillock wrote:Is the F line using 27.2 seatpost?

Yes, I am very much against ISP and oversize seatpost for most road bikes. We even go through great lengths to make our aero shaped posts "feel" round. They have a round structure with a thin integrated fairing to get the aero shape, all done in carbon, but with a special internal mold.

It is tough to explain without a photo, but basically, if you cut one of our AR seatposts in half you could see there is a round inner section with thinner walls that make up the aero shape. This was a feature that helped the big improvement made in ride quality on the AR models from 2008/9 to 2010/11.

-SD

Ladeira

by Ladeira

The only thing i want to know is: When am i going to able to buy one ?! :beerchug:

DA 2011 for me for sure...

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Ladeira wrote:The only thing i want to know is: When am i going to able to buy one ?! :beerchug:

DA 2011 for me for sure...

October production is sold out. November is almost as well. I really feel the soonest open inventory will be delivered in late December. There are backorders piling up.

It is going to be some time before you see them with a "FOR SALE" tag at a shop.

-SD

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Is the DA price still TBD? Any idea when it will be finalized?

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Ahillock wrote:Is the DA price still TBD? Any idea when it will be finalized?

We haven't launched the price yet. There are a few details yet to finish, and oddly enough it takes some of the 2012 product line to take shape before we can nail it down.

-SD

bigmonter

by bigmonter

SuperDave

This thread has got me interested in either the AR or FC.

Care o give insight into the merits of each? Is one stiffer in a way the average rider might notice? Not to concerned with the weight difference as I am 6'3" 250ish 200-300 grams ain't making a difference.

How would you go about describing how to decide?

Thanks

Steven

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

SuperDave wrote:
Ahillock wrote:Thanks SD. I figured you were super busy with everything at Eurobike and then getting ready for Interbike. Thanks for posting back with the info. I appreciate it.

Could you tell us the STW data you got for the F1 and the other 2011 frames? What were the other frames you tested it against?

I should be clear, we do not have a catalog or much data collected for others' 2011 frames; just what was available in 2010 (and earlier). Many of these top-of-the-line frames are not yet available, so I there is no way to gather the information yet on some of the newest frames.

The STW is a relative number that compares the measured deflection of different parts of the frame using a 10kg static mass. The head tube test is actually captured in the youtube video I posted. Those numbers are collected and divided by the bare (no seatpost collar, w/b bolts, etc..) frame weight.

We don't use our competitors in the marketing of our bicycles. They are used by our product team to compare and improve our bikes. I'm eager to see the independent data posted. We have a few of the new F1 bicycles that have been given to cycling media. ROADBIKE and Tour magazine in Germany will both be reviewing these two bikes shortly and they both do a good job of judging both the emperical details of the bicycle and the subjective. Their findings are typically given more legitimacy that anything I could write anyhow.

-SD

The ROADBIKE article has just appearred, for those interested in reading it, I have a German .pdf copy. I'll try to post a translation later this week.

-SD

53x12

by 53x12

Dave, is the F1 frame made of 1K carbon fiber throughout the whole frame?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

53x12 wrote:Dave, is the F1 frame made of 1K carbon fiber throughout the whole frame?

Yes, the entire outer weave is 1k, we do not sand/mask the joint areas and cover with putty and paint as most others do. There is no cosmetic fill/paint anywhere on the F1. WYSIWYG.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

Two questions:

So I could not possibly get an FC in the near future? I might need a replacement frame asap.

How did you guys come up with these headtube lengths? I need a 56 TT, but the headtube is a good 35 to 40mm to short and I'd rather not run a gigantic spacer stack. That forces me up to the 58, which has a TT that is at least 15 to 20mm too long and still requires a fat spacer stack. I haven't seen another brand with headtubes this short relative to the TT.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike