HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:42 pm 

Some pre-amble so you know where I'm coming from.

I've recently re-injured my back - a Disc popped out and it led to Sciatica. This is from an old over-exertion injury about 10 years ago.

What did me in was a 4 hour bike ride about six weeks ago and I am now just getting back on the bike and have started doing Pilates.

The bike I was riding is a 853 Steel Lugged bike I built myself at Dave Yates in the UK. Thomson Straight Seatpost, Tune Speedneedle Marathon, Fulcrum Zero Wheels, Conti 25mmm GP 4000, 3T LTD Stem, Ergosum LTD Bar, Enve 2.0 Fork.

It rides quite well and is quite stiff when you put the power down but the little voice in the back of my head is telling me that the lugged steel frame really isn't damping a lot of the vibration in the rear end and going through a straight Aluminum Post isn't helping either.

I just built a New Mosaic Ti - However it's built to be more of a take it out for a One hour - Clear the head spin. It has straight gauge 1" CS, and a Non-Butted 44mm DT with 44mm Headtube (Allother tubes butted), with a relatively low head tube for me - not conducive for 4 hours rides and I really don't want to re-injure my back. I'll keep it for quick rides.

As I look forward to 2015 I'm looking at building more of a Comfort/Endurance bike. The most logical thing to do would be too just go by a Trek Domane and be done with it - but I'm not sure I can bring myself to ride a Trek after venturing into the Handbuilt world.

So I'm thinking of a Baum Corretto (I've always wanted one) with every Tube Butted and Swagged to Maximize Comfort, or a Custom Argonaut or Parlee Z-Zero or Custom Painted New Parlee Altum.

I've had a Parlee Z5SL in the past before and it was amazing at damping vibration, so the new Altum would be an easy choice but by the time it's painted it's within 15-20% of the price of the Baum, and not made by hand but in some Taiwaneese Factory (albeit a very good factory).

I'm just curious to know if anyone thinks you can achieve the same level of comfort and vibration damping in good Ti?

On the Baum I would probably use an Enve Setback setback seatpost and 1.0 Fork which is said to ride nicely and probably a Saddle that's a little better at Vibration Damping than the Speedneedle.

Any thoughts? Any suggestions?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:52 pm 

maybe a manta? http://calfeedesign.com/products/manta/

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:52 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:38 pm 

One can of course make a frame comfortable through materials/layups/shapes/etc. but I think it is also very important to think about the tires and tire pressures. That said, if you can get Baum to build you a Corretto that can take 28 mm tires and ride them at 70-80 psi, I imagine that would be one smooth riding bike.

My Photoblog

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:16 pm 

In my opinion, this is, in order, where the most substantial gains are to be made:
1. Skip the needlessly harsh Conti 110-or-even-lower tpi and go for some decent Vittoria or Veloflex 25mm tires at 5-5.5 bar on wider-than-standard 19-20mm wide rims;
2. more comfortable saddle;
3. As a rule, post with setback work better, smaller posts work better.
4. One of those frames-with-gimmicks like smaller seat tubes...
Frame material, by itself, won't help comfort that much. Of course, some materials are easier to make comfortable frames from.

All measures suppose you have the right position first!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:33 pm 

Trek Domane, done. Get over it. :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:58 pm 

Calnago wrote:
Trek Domane, done. Get over it.

Would you ride one?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:41 pm 

If comfort was one of my top priorities I would. I don't think you're going to do better than a frame with some actual suspension. I don't think anything can even come close to the amount of movement you get on something like the Domane, no amount of butting or layup tuning is going to give you that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:50 pm 

Have a look at the two piece seat post from canyon. think it's also sold under the ergon brand.
Gives about 15mm of travel/bounce.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:51 pm 

Everything de zwarten says!

My experience is the frame has much less to say than the contact points (barring shoes/pedals). Get a dampening carbon bar (e.g. 3T LTD absorbs a lot), as wide tires as your frame can fit and then inflate them to the lowest possible pressure. Unless you're above 80 kgs, youi'd be amazed how well 60 psi could work on a 25mm tire with a wide rim.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:19 pm 

mattr wrote:
Have a look at the two piece seat post from canyon. think it's also sold under the ergon brand.
Gives about 15mm of travel/bounce.

Thanks for the tip on the Ergon - That looks very comfy!

So a Fully butted Baum, Ergon, 28mm tires and Some nice comfy wheels and I should be good to go?

I'm still not buying the Domane idea although I know it makes a lot of sense.

For wheels - How about the new 24.2 Wide Campy 35 mm Bora Tubs? I'm guessing they will ride better than the 200 GRam heavier 35 MM Bora Clinchers?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:36 pm 

I am in a similar situation. Comfort is 90 percent wheels, tires, tire pressure, seatpost, saddle (in no particular order). The frame won't make as much of a difference. Also avoid super stiff bars and stem.

If I was shopping today? Synapse Hi Mod, handbuilt wheels with lots of spokes, wide rims and 28 mm tires at 80 psi.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:48 am 

I'd rather be on a Trek than not riding at all.

Wider tires at lower pressure will do more for comfort than anything else.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:38 am 

Just curious @morrisond, why the skepticism on the Domane?

Anyway Trek had some super wide rimmed carbon tubulars made for Paris-roubaix in the past, not sure if they are still made or available to the public.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:13 am 

Kayrehn wrote:
Just curious @morrisond, why the skepticism on the Domane?

Anyway Trek had some super wide rimmed carbon tubulars made for Paris-roubaix in the past, not sure if they are still made or available to the public.

Why Sceptic of Domane? Mainly because it's a me too bike although I acknowledge it's probably the best solution. My first road bike was a Trek 5200 with Ultegra back about 11 years ago and I have had a Madone as well back in about 2006ish. Nice bikes just no soul or Personality.

I'm just a fan of metal these days. I would probably be a lot more excited by the Domane if I knew it was made in the states.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:29 am 

Saddles with carbon rails and a suspension system (usually just rubber bumpers) really do ad an extra layer of shock absorption too, The Turbomatic and Signo come to mind, but there are others.

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:29 am 

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next