"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

djm

by djm

Quintana isn't even going to the tour.. Can't really understand it..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

SolidSnake03 wrote:Interesting, I guess I have only seen the evade once on a local ride and aside from that it is just all the shot's of the pro's I'm basing this off of. The one look at the Evade "in the wild" wasn't enough to tell if it was really different in any way. To my relatively un-discerning eye it didn't look different...

Also, seems strange to me that they would produce a different version of the helmet for the pro's but I guess it's possible. Anyone have any real insight or proof of this aside from just looking at pictures? It's an interesting an idea but needs some backing to me.

My teammate has both in size M. Measured width is actually the same on both of them, but the Evade sticks up higher and has a longer profile. He says it cools better, but wears the Air Attack most of the time because its smaller. I agree that it does not look like what you see on TV. I wouldn't put it past Specialized because they have lots of pro stuff you can't buy: saddles (the weird Romin hybrid Boonen and Renshaw are on), frames (Boonen and other taller riders have a 60cm TT with a 170mm HT), and shoes (most riders have custom lasts and use the evasive pro-only white shoes).
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

djm wrote:Quintana isn't even going to the tour.. Can't really understand it..

Well that's surprising. Why is that? :noidea:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

ultyguy

by ultyguy

My betfair account is pretty pissed off that Degenkolb couldn't use that great classics sprint at MSR, but I have to say that sentimentally it's great to see him win G-W. Let's see what he's got next wknd...

djm

by djm

stella, they are going for Valverde. Quintana will ride the Giro, and has stated that it is against his will and that that he will do his best, as far as I can recall.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

KWalker wrote:My teammate has both in size M. Measured width is actually the same on both of them, but the Evade sticks up higher and has a longer profile. He says it cools better, but wears the Air Attack most of the time because its smaller. I agree that it does not look like what you see on TV. I wouldn't put it past Specialized because they have lots of pro stuff you can't buy: saddles (the weird Romin hybrid Boonen and Renshaw are on), frames (Boonen and other taller riders have a 60cm TT with a 170mm HT), and shoes (most riders have custom lasts and use the evasive pro-only white shoes).

That is a good point about the amount of custom Specialized stuff you see *frames and saddles*. I'm glad I wasn't the only one that noticed the odd saddle Boonen and Renshaw have. The saddle is interesting to me personally because I thought Boonen was basically responsible for the design of the Chicane and yet this weird hybrid mix and match thing is clearly different still.

Anyhow, that is interesting that they are the same width measured out. I'm actually considering one of those two helmets not because of the aero benefit but because of that reduced wind noise that I have heard quite a few people say they have.
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

wingguy

by wingguy

xnavalav8r wrote:I stand by my original remark. If the GT contenders for the Giro don't perform to their expected levels I will eat my words. Every big GT team in recent history has followed a similar pattern of performance. If you associate it with doping, then that's your assumption. I'm just referring to patterns of performance... however the gains may be achieved.

Oh come on. You can't talk about "Something 'magical' happening" and pretend you weren't implying doping. State your opinions straight out or don't state them at all. Trying to play both sides doesn't come across well.

wingguy

by wingguy

djm wrote:Quintana isn't even going to the tour.. Can't really understand it..

Well that sucks. If it's right I can only imagine they feel he needs another season to raise his all-round level before taking on the Sky boys head-to-head and they think he can definitely win a GT while doing it if he focuses purely on the Giro and the Vuelta.

Still though, you'd think he' be odds on for a TdF podium and that's a heck of a thing to throw away.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

djm wrote:stella, they are going for Valverde. Quintana will ride the Giro, and has stated that it is against his will and that that he will do his best, as far as I can recall.

Hmm a heart break at the 2012 Giro. Third in 2013 at the tour.
Now Contador is back in shape. Seems like another Jan Ulrich. Wrong time wrong place.

Oops realized I'm talking about Rodriguez :oops:

OK Quintana different dude.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Who thinks Valverde has a better chance of winning the TdF GC (or green or polka dot for the matter) than Quinatana has of winning the KOM jersey?

hna

by hna

Quintana is also a more consistent TT rider than Valverde.

ave

by ave

Helmets are very sensitive things... Rigorous Testing and certificates, etc..., life can depend on them.
So I can't see a lighter, less material, less safe helmet used in the pro peloton, than in the general market. Especially after WW's death.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Valverde is also a spanish star rider on a spanish team...

carbon2329

by carbon2329

BINGO!!! :thumbup: :exactly:

micky

by micky

I guess Valverde asked Unzue to have one final shot at TdF while at the same time bringing home the Maglia Rosa is a good thing for such a big team and Quintana can be the main contender for the Giro (plus have time to recover and give a shot at Vuelta).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com