HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 1414, 1415, 1416, 1417, 1418, 1419, 1420 ... 1857  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:35 pm 

prendrefeu wrote:
Does anyone else see similarities to the "Witch" scene from Monty Python's "Holy Grail" in all of these conversations - both here and on the hilariously low-brow comment sections on the news sites? Or maybe it's just me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_l5ntikaU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You must not have paid attention while LA drama went down. Or maybe you did and participated?

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:35 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:41 pm 

Never said I wasn't in the crowd, everyone has been at some point.

That does not absolve ourselves from the virtue of self-reflection.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:43 pm 

At least we can officially dispense with the stupid argument "oh, he didn't dope because he's such a nice/cool/whatever guy"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:08 pm 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
No spud, you can not dispense with that argument, as there is one glaring counter-example.
I just found my calling.

WWSTD
(What Would Svein Tuft Do)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:11 pm 

prendrefeu wrote:
Never said I wasn't in the crowd, everyone has been at some point.

That does not absolve ourselves from the virtue of self-reflection.

No need for self reflection. We aren't pros. We are the audience/fan for whom they race for.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:54 pm 

prendrefeu wrote:
Does anyone else see similarities to the "Witch" scene from Monty Python's "Holy Grail" in all of these conversations - both here and on the hilariously low-brow comment sections on the news sites? Or maybe it's just me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_l5ntikaU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Situations like this

http://stevetilford.com/2013/10/31/remo ... -hesjedal/

are why people are upset.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:33 pm 

Being upset is fine. Did I state that being upset is wrong? Eh? Where did I write or state that?

It's the approach, not the emotion.

It's pretty clear that those are two separate things.

Your example is a good one, but how the conversations and comment threads read is another matter entirely.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:49 pm 

Sorry everyone doesn't comment or approach the situation like you do. Did you ever really expect that to be the case? People have different opinions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:57 pm 

Again, did I state it's wrong to have different opinions??

How about you go read my original statement?
Specifically I offered my opinion, and wrote "or is it just me." Did you miss that?

Back at you: I have an opinion, just like you, about how people approach things. Just like you, a different opinion. Is any one opinion of approach correct or incorrect? No, and I never stated as such.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:02 am 

You are perfectly fine with your opinion, I have no issue with that. Just that you have an issue with certain types of opinions being expressed here and those 'low-brow comments' on other sites. As if those differing opinions are somehow on a witch hunt because of their stated opinion and that your stated opinion is somehow righteous because you aren't on a 'witch hunt.'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:03 am 

Jeez fellas.....do we need to act like a bunch of women all the time?

FACT: Opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one and they all stink so quit acting like yours smells like roses.

Pretty much everyone doped in the late 90's, early 2000's, even [insert your favorite rider here]. These dudes are athletes that compete for themselves and their own livelihood/success. Let's not make this something it's not.....people deserve second chances. They were not all a bunch of LAs. Good people make bad decisions too and it is short sighted to throw every ex-doper out on their a** so quit the self righteous, smug, holier than thou comments. If you were in their position you may have made the same choice.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=125962

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:07 am 

this dude was blasting in tabor!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:32 am 

btompkins0112 wrote:
Pretty much everyone doped in the late 90's, early 2000's, even [insert your favorite rider here]. These dudes are athletes that compete for themselves and their own livelihood/success. Let's not make this something it's not.....people deserve second chances. They were not all a bunch of LAs. Good people make bad decisions too and it is short sighted to throw every ex-doper out on their a** so quit the self righteous, smug, holier than thou comments. If you were in their position you may have made the same choice.

Exactly!
Well said.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:10 am 

btompkins0112 wrote:
Jeez fellas.....do we need to act like a bunch of women all the time?

FACT: Opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one and they all stink so quit acting like yours smells like roses.

Stop being such a pushover and being impressed with a rider who admitted to doping in the past (how convenient it was past 8 years) and all of a sudden stopped because they thought it was bad. Utter bullocks and bullsh@t. They are pulling the fleece over your head and you believe it. This is NOT a credible confession. This was a, oops you caught me and someone leaked the beans that weren't suppose to be leaked. Only admit after you get caught, otherwise deny deny deny and talk about how the sport is so clean now. The Garmin team is run by a former doper and full of former dopers. Not sure I can even believe in Ryder's Giro win at this point. Why would I be that naive and think that was clean.

I absolutely despise how certain riders that have been doping and been busted/admit to afterwards, get a free pass because they are 'likeable' or a 'nice guy.' However certain dopers (LA, Ricco, DiLuca, Rasmussen...etc.) are hated because they aren't 'likeable' or a 'nice guy.' Ryder should get the same punishment that LA. That is one thing that stinks like a outhouse within cycling, the disproportionate punishments that vary across the sport. The punishments need to be universal and consistent. Regardless of how big of a star you are or how well liked you are.

Last edited by Ahillock on Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:16 am 

I have never attacked ANY rider for doping.....I refuse to judge without absolute knowledge (the type that you obviously have). Giving someone the benefit of the doubt is the reasonable thing to do in my estimation, obviously cynical ranting is what you consider to be the reasonable thing to do. Tomato, tomatoe.

:beerchug:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=125962

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:16 am 

Go to page Previous  1 ... 1414, 1415, 1416, 1417, 1418, 1419, 1420 ... 1857  Next