"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

micky

by micky

ultyguy wrote:Young Danish gun upsets the big boys, impressive....

Nice sponsor.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

Monkeyboy3333 wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/renshaw-uran-to-omega-pharma-quickstep
will be tell all next year for Cav with Renshaw heading to OPQS with Rigoberto. Get Bernie over too and he's all set.

They got this guy which was supposed to be the last man but with Renshaw back...what are they gonna do?

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Inrng reporting TJ Slagter to Garmin. Nice pick up from them, hope they turn him into the hilly classics monster he could be.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Levi lives?
On May 20, 2013, http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/leipheimer-confirms-im-retired wrote:"I'm retired," he told The Press Democrat in Santa Rosa having been invited to speak to the crowd at the finish of the Tour of California, a race he won three times. "It's just been an unceremoniously retired."
Yet
Regarding the July 13, 2013 race, http://www.tusharcrusher.com/2013-results wrote:PRO/OPEN MEN
Place Bib # Name Time Hometown Team
1 27 Levi Leipheimer 4:06:17 SANTA ROSA, CA Clif Bar
So was this as a Pro (mountain biker) or amateur? The race he won was listed as Pro/Open. And is he competing only in mountain biking ... or also road? What exactly is he retired from, or is he even still retired?

What's next, we'll find out he's racking up KOMs on strava ... perhaps with benefit of digital doping?

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

So to me open means to anyone.
If you look at the teams they are more like sponsors.
You might want to ask the guy from Competitive Cyclist.
The race seems to be set up like the Leadville 100.

The answer to road or MTB is here http://www.tusharcrusher.com/which-bike

He is retired from pro-cycling as you know it.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

petepeterson

by petepeterson

What's the problem? if he wants to ride fondos, smash precious KOM's, or come back to pro racing like David Millar who cares? I'm not cheering for the guy but he's no different from DZ, VDV or Danielson. Do you have a problem with them racing this year? I feel like Levi got such a bad deal compared to those guys with respect to public/media backlash just because they are on garmin. Chapeau to JV I suppose for creating that team identity and managing the situation well.

djconnel

by djconnel

Example of how "attractivity" bonuses can reward riding slower:
http://djconnel.blogspot.com/2013/08/at ... ur-of.html

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Levi blew past me at a mtb race a couple months back (Boggs 8hr Endurance Race). He was on a coed team with a couple high school girls.

Dude's a midget.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

boysa

by boysa

Haha. A few years back he showed up and won Sea Otter. My wife was waiting for my race to finish so she happened to be there when he crossed the line. As I rolled across she said, "Wow, you should've seen this tiny little guy who won the Pro race. He was like one of those lawn jockeys!"

Didn't matter, I was still amazed.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

ultyguy

by ultyguy

micky wrote:Nice sponsor.

Yup, was wondering if anyone was going to mention that. Guess it's probably the local branch?

However, CULT is a pretty cool team name too :-D

Giant DK

by Giant DK

Yes, Festina Denmark has always supported this Danish team.
Techn writer at Velomore Denmark

My Simplon Pavo II

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

djconnel wrote:Twitter:
Dan Martin ‏@DanMartin
I love tour of poland but 6man teams, italy start and silly attractivity classification deciding overall? #keepcyclingsimple #wrong

haha, now imagine how the crowd was confused when suddenly Majka lost his yellow jersey, given the fact he finished in the first group...

TdP was never that much entartaining race (mostly due to time bonuses, and the fact the route remained almost unchanged for years), but this year - it's like a contest for the worst idea.
the first two stages in Italy were, well, empty-crowded, and the initial idea of promoting Poland in Italy through this race is one of the dumbest i've ever heard...

second thing - tv broadcast is so dreadful it requires few shots of some strong alcohol prior to watching the race. there's like 1,5 cameras covering the whole race, and the commentators (on polish national tv - sadly i don't get eurosport here on vacation..) were most likely chosen randomly from the tv staff, as they don't have a clue about cycling whatsoever.

third - time bonuses. if the goal is to confuse spectators, like the poor tv coverage wasn't enough, they sure did great job. 30 seconds for an intermediate KOM? in a race where a gap between the overall winner and a runner up is usually less than 10 seconds? WTF? :noidea:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

jmilliron wrote:Levi blew past me at a mtb race a couple months back (Boggs 8hr Endurance Race). He was on a coed team with a couple high school girls.

Dude's a midget.

boysa wrote:Haha. A few years back he showed up and won Sea Otter. My wife was waiting for my race to finish so she happened to be there when he crossed the line. As I rolled across she said, "Wow, you should've seen this tiny little guy who won the Pro race. He was like one of those lawn jockeys!"

Didn't matter, I was still amazed.

So if Levi is a midget what is Quintana?

TV skews the perception of size combined with the fact that these guys have absolute the lowest BMI per height and weight. Most of us are much bigger even though we are not representative of the average population weight. Someone 6"0 at 170 lb is still bigger then the average elite pro.

Believe me Quintana can pass for a 12 year old. And some 12 year old are bigger then Quintana.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

Levi? two days ago i saw Thor up close for the first time in my life. both at the bike (after the finish) and on the podium. he looked like a miniature version of himself :unbelievable:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Yup, when the 'big' guys are 75 kgs and 190cm, you know you're dealing with a very skinny population. Had the pleasure of riding next to Cancellara in a race earlier this year and he's about half the width he looks like on TV.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com