HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 1254, 1255, 1256, 1257, 1258, 1259, 1260 ... 1767  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:48 pm 

Unless you are a spring classics guy, the Tour is everything.

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:48 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:36 am 

53x12 wrote:
Pretty clear that Cav's prime time is now over. Cavendish 2008-2012. Kittel 2013-?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:56 am 

I would wait until Cav is reunited with Renshaw before declaring his prime over. With a good/proper lead out, he very well could become the sprinter he was.

Sagan isn't winning like he was last year. Does this mean he is past his prime? The only stage he won this year was a result of his team dropping the competition. He is consistently in the top 4, and is doing quite well, even if he is not winning everything.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:01 am 

In 2013 Cavendish has won a stage race, national championship, stages in *two* grand tours and the Giro points classification.

Wish I was that "over the hill".

EDIT: whoops. Sorry. Didn't see this had already been beaten into the ground on the previous page.

Some actual content from the Wattage Group:

Quote:
Froome is clean. Get over it people. 6.5w/kg is new top rung on Power Profile

This article is crap.
http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/biking/Analysing-Froomes-Performance.html?page=1

These guys are clueless.The author and referenced authors and their articles don't know what they are talking about.. They don't really have a clue of what the best can do. Clearly they are un-experienced and don't have access, haven't seen a ton of data from years of clean and un-clean riders. Froome is clean. Get over it people. 6.5w/kg for an hour is the new top rung on the Power Profile. And guess what, he's doing the same as last year and he's telling the truth too when he says his FTP is between 440-460. Brailsford is partially correct when he said, "eventually we'll see clean riders performances match those of non-clean." I personally don't think I'll ever see a 6.7-6.8 w/kg for an hour like I saw multiple times from the "past". But, I have seen plenty of files in the 6.3-6.4 range by clean riders. Froome is just a mutant above and barely at the 6.5 range.

Why is he so dominant this year? Superior coaching and training by and with power . Do you think Contador and Valverde are looking at their PMC's after every stage? Do you think Contador and team coaches(do they even have those on Saxo?) even know what a TSS is? Let me assure you. The boys at Sky are and have been for quite a while. Sometimes the old adage, "Train smarter, not harder" is really true.

Hunter Allen

As one can imagine, this sparked a bit of discussion.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:28 am 

With numbers like that, do you think there is Froome to get a higher w/kg ratio?

Couldn't resist. Sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:31 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:44 am 

53x12 wrote:
Unless you are a spring classics guy, the Tour is everything.

read this about Eisel http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/eisel-a ... -lost-year

remember when someone wrote (after Orica won 2 stages and got the yellow jersey) "they could leave the Tour now and their season would be a succes already"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:17 am 

nathanong87- that's awesome :up:

maquisard- Cav was also dropped off too early b/c GS had to put in such a huge shift to get him into position that he couldn't lead him out. GS had to do that because Argos won the race to that 2nd to last corner.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:31 am 

Cavendish was simply beaten in the sprint, good lead out, even he admitted that!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:35 am 

strobbekoen wrote:
The 'conclusions' some people make here..
Cavendish is past his best because he misses a few sprints in the Tour. as if the Tour is everything. Kittel is just really really good right now.
Froome is doped because his rivals are not as good as expected. As Froome said to a journalist "Maybe you should ask other riders why they are not as good as they used to be instead." The numbers don't show impossible performances as compared to you-know-which-era.
As for the TT, compare Froome's position and Contador's. Big difference. Add that Froome has more absolute power and I am not surprised he took a good lead.
Can anyone explain to me why being a good time trialist and a good climber are mutually exlusive ?

I don't like to be the "online bike fitter of the day" but the 2 guys don't look way so different, like say Andy Schleck.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:42 am 

Doping history aside, Contador just doesn't look as good on the TT bike anymore. I wonder if he has back or fit issues. In the Dauphine TT he looked extremely uncomfortable and was sliding all over the saddle.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:03 am 

maquisard- honsetly, not to drag this one, but I'm not alone in my assessment, seems inrng saying the same this a.m.
edit-However, I agree with you completely on Contador's TT position, what's gone wrong? :noidea: I hate that he's running that long helmet too because he's the worst offender in the 'head dropping' stakes.

"The stage started outside the railway station of Fougères and finished with the Argos-Shimano and OPQS sprint trains pulling into Tours. If we’d been wondering who was the fastest sprinter perhaps we got the answer with Marcel Kittel? Perhaps but it’s not definitive as André Greipel was thwarted by a crash. Plus I thought Mark Cavendish went early in the sprint, allowing Kittel to shelter and then turn on the power. Kittel’s background is as a time trial ace and in the 2010 Worlds in Geelong, Australia he was on the podium with Taylor Phinney and Luke Durbridge for the U-23 time trial. This might mean he’s got the ability to turn on the power for a long duration rather than Cavendish’s kick. Listening to the Humans Invent podcast (16m30s onwards) Daniel Friebe reports Cavendish has been making several big costly efforts during the final four kilometres rather than cruising at a steady wattage before launching his move."
http://inrng.com/2013/07/tour-de-france ... more-16103" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:17 am 

micky wrote:
strobbekoen wrote:
The 'conclusions' some people make here..
Cavendish is past his best because he misses a few sprints in the Tour. as if the Tour is everything. Kittel is just really really good right now.
Froome is doped because his rivals are not as good as expected. As Froome said to a journalist "Maybe you should ask other riders why they are not as good as they used to be instead." The numbers don't show impossible performances as compared to you-know-which-era.
As for the TT, compare Froome's position and Contador's. Big difference. Add that Froome has more absolute power and I am not surprised he took a good lead.
Can anyone explain to me why being a good time trialist and a good climber are mutually exlusive ?

I don't like to be the "online bike fitter of the day" but the 2 guys don't look way so different, like say Andy Schleck.

Froome's hip angle looks better, he doesn't move around on the bike, and his head is always level with his back.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:01 am 

Top pic .... Doper under the microscope now struggles
Bottom pic .... Doper looking like a pre mantis on a bike

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:01 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:09 am 

Contador doesn't look comfortable in his current TT position. He's constantly sliding forward and then having to push himself back in the saddle. He also regularly kicks a knee out, not just while cornering.

Is he too stretched out at the front and he's actually pulling himself forward with his arms?

Go to page Previous  1 ... 1254, 1255, 1256, 1257, 1258, 1259, 1260 ... 1767  Next