HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 1200, 1201, 1202, 1203, 1204, 1205, 1206 ... 1586  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:52 pm 

stella-azzurra wrote:
I tried to convince myself that brown would be the new black but can't seem to do it. Hmm brown hasn't taken off yet.
It's been a few years don't you think?

First, brown has actually been in fashion for a while. Black has rarely gone out of fashion, and in the fashion world actually referencing black as a fashion trend is a bit moot.
But then again, and no offense here, I've never taken you to be interested in the design fields beyond being a casual consumer, so I don't hold anything against you and your opinion.

Second, you're clearly focusing too much on the colours and ignoring the design. Colours of a jersey are largely determined by the sponsor: brown and blue are AG2R's corporate colors. The design itself, which is what I am discussing, is very well executed and, as I stated before, the closest any pro peloton jersey has ever gotten to be relatively in-step with current haute fashion trends at the same time. As Pete mentioned, blue & brown also happen to be an excellent (and relatively recent) combination trend, so having AG2R's colors in a well executed design is a win-win.

Third, there's no accounting for the bitter gripes that come with people aging as the world passes them by with changing social norms, technologies, and expectations. No one on this earth is removed from being blown by the winds of change and time, some choose to move with it, some choose to grumble against it - and wilt in the erosion. This was not directed at you, stella, but everyone (myself included). Reading various threads and comments on this forum show a few folks to be of one type or the other. Coincidentally - and with complete irony - the very change that they are grumbling against now is the same was what they claim to yearn for. They're pointing at the past to things that, in that time, were 'innovative' and 'adventurous' while shunning the same qualities in what is happening now and adding adjectives to past concepts as 'reliable', 'classic', 'perfect' and so forth.

It's easy to tell who is in the creative fields and who isn't by language used. In a similar vein, it's easy to tell who is in the HVAC industry and who isn't by the language used. In either situation, one experienced person may claim the other, non-experienced person's viewpoint is lacking. Such is the way of the world, no? Each person has their expertise (which can also be plural).

edit: added quote for pagination.

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:52 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:12 pm 

First time I raced against Ag2r I was very, very surprised how good they looked in reality. In my opinion it's the best looking kit in the pro peloton. Classic and unique. Next on my list is LPM.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:23 pm 

I can say that the bibs are brown dyed white lycra and far from opaque when sitting in the grupetto with a pair in front. Not a great look.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:41 pm 

prendrefeu wrote:

First, brown has actually been in fashion for a while. Black has rarely gone out of fashion, and in the fashion world actually referencing black as a fashion trend is a bit moot.
But then again, and no offense here, I've never taken you to be interested in the design fields beyond being a casual consumer, so I don't hold anything against you and your opinion.

I am glad you do not hold it against me because you know nothing about my preferences.

prendrefeu wrote:
Second, you're clearly focusing too much on the colours and ignoring the design. Colours of a jersey are largely determined by the sponsor: brown and blue are AG2R's corporate colors. The design itself, which is what I am discussing, is very well executed and, as I stated before, the closest any pro peloton jersey has ever gotten to be relatively in-step with current haute fashion trends at the same time. As Pete mentioned, blue & brown also happen to be an excellent (and relatively recent) combination trend, so having AG2R's colors in a well executed design is a win-win.

Color is important especially when most of us are watching cycling on a TV screen. An earth tone color like brown does not stand out next to other bright lively colors. One of the reasons why colors on cycling uniforms are bright.
It really is more about been seem apart from the rest than a fashion statement in cycling. They are billboards on wheels.
If the marketing guys had their way they'd put flashing lights in the jerseys. Hey look at me. :smartass:

prendrefeu wrote:
It's easy to tell who is in the creative fields and who isn't by language used. In a similar vein, it's easy to tell who is in the HVAC industry and who isn't by the language used. In either situation, one experienced person may claim the other, non-experienced person's viewpoint is lacking. Such is the way of the world, no? Each person has their expertise (which can also be plural).

Would anyone in the HVAC industry or similar industry "who isn't by the language used" that prendrefeu is eluding to like an apology? because if I was, I would really like one. :noidea:

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:54 pm 
Shop Wrench

I don't understand how Omega Pharma-Quick Step hasn't been mentioned! Easily the best looking jerseys in the peleton!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:14 pm 

I like the AG2R too.

Post subject: "PRO" Cycling Discussion
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:23 pm 

The shit shorts are deffo see-thru close up. However, I have to agree that the ensemble kinda works in person. The shininess doesn't really come out on tv.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:46 pm 

Shiny, translucent, brown lycra shorts.

I'm not sold. :hmm:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:38 pm 

I'm on my phone, so no image links lest I break my thumbs and the sun is coming up here on a beautifully sodden, pot hole-filled riding day
, so gotta go.

Good brown- AG2R/ Bad brown- Footon Servetto flying squirrel suits.
Good black- Colombia/ Bad black- err, half the peloton.
Good bright- Bardiani/ Bad bright- Vini Fantini (death by association)
Best all time- T Mobile, La Vie Claire, Renault

When pro athletic wear tries to ape "current fashion" trends the result can be laughable. Remember the LeOpard scarf party. When we see our heros out of their usual context something doesn't gel (unlike their hair on said evening). I want Pros to look like superheroes...no wait..superbillboardheroes, like Superman whoring out shoe polish. The LOTTO kit is a great example. I'm fond of the Androni kit for the same resaon.

Just a few thoughts,
Monkeyburger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:07 am 

Carrera & Castorama. Instant classics - still selling today. F**k fashion.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:23 am 

I too like Lotto-Belisol. Perfect moving billboard. Androni is cluttered like a poster wall. Cool in a way, certainly.
AG2R is good. Sky is good. T-Mobile was good in 2006-7. In 2003 not so much, but Ulle was in a fine Bianchi kit that year anyway.
Lampre-Merida is good. Uncluttered, distinct, and 3 colors evenly distributed around the wheel.

I liked the kits that took the side panel matching all the way, like Alessio and Saeco. Designs like that went out of cycle fashion.

Carpani was brilliant, but so is the Juve (and Newcastle) shirts of the time too. A good steal.

Last edited by Kjetil on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:22 am 

Yet more good news... :sarcasm: But I thought everybody saw the light & stopped in 2006?! :sarcasm:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/raboban ... ask-doping

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:36 pm 

^ :lol:

should Rassmusen sue Rabobank for damages then?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:27 pm 

one more vote for AG2R kit. what's with stella azzurra?

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:27 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:39 pm 

May have to change username after saying this but...

Really liked (and in fact bought) the 2007 Discovery Channel Jersey

Go to page Previous  1 ... 1200, 1201, 1202, 1203, 1204, 1205, 1206 ... 1586  Next