"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

That position seems to be quite rearward yes, I'm thinking it's along the lines of the rough recommendation of Hogg where you go a fair amount of mm's behind the actual metatarsals. Not saying at all that Hansen used that a guideline or listens/reads the guy's stuff just that it seems like something that would come out of following his cleat position philosophy.

Anyhow, those shoes are AWESOME!

It's like he took a pair of Bont's, stripped them down to just the carbon and then wrapped it entirely around his foot+molded it to that. Pretty awesome to say the least and would love to hear him talk about them a bit more.
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pastronef

by pastronef

anhk

by anhk

SolidSnake03 wrote:Ok so he does sort of have crazy long arm but really 200mm? :unbelievable:

He said so to Kei Tsuji Japanese photographer.

KWalker

by KWalker

I remember reading Hansen made them himself.

There is no way to tell how aft they are from the pictures- the first makes them look normal, the second far back, and the others normal as well. Depends how long his toes are. If you remember that those cleats have the center line a bit further forward, then the first picture makes them look actually fairly under the 1st met protrusion. The second boa line from the front appears to be right at his first met, and the center of the cleat about 1cm behind it.

Judging by his bike setup and watching him pedal I'd be very surprised if his cleats were very far back. A rearward cleat position requires a much lower than average seat height to compensate as the foot becomes less of a lever, if I recall from his pro bike video on Cycling News he actually needs a 400mm seatpost just to get his seat high enough. Also, he is a leadout man for Greipel and moving the cleats further back really reduces top end snap and acceleration and he would still need that in a leadout to move quickly through gaps and step on the gas in the last few km.

The shoes would not be hard to make- someone would just have to make a basic mold to get the arch curvature right and then smooth out the footbed area a bit. They could then make a general mold of the foot and then place the carbon in the first mold and wrap it around the foot and cut the carbon accordingly before it dries. Probably easier said than done, but not impossible.
Last edited by KWalker on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

crazy that the cleats seem non-removable and molded to the shoe as well. I guess when you know your cleat position, you know.

pastronef

by pastronef

Marcel Kittel about today stage winner in Turkey

https://mobile.twitter.com/marcelkittel ... 102208?p=v

I was not often in my life so angry about a result of someone else. And I see many people around me feeling the same. #TourofTurkey

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Is Mustafa Sayar is associated with doping? Or is it something else that has him so angry at Sayar?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

fa63

by fa63

Sayar, to my knowledge, has never been associated with doping. That said, his teammate last year, Gabrovski, was busted for doping after winning last year so I can see where the skepticism is coming from.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Valid points, I wasn't really thinking about the cleat position in terms of Hansen's style/role however, when taking that into account it does seem unlikely he could have his cleats too far back at all. If anything, the more toe-down pedaling style combined with high seat height might make it more logical that his cleats are quite far forward *Mavic shoes :mrgreen: ?*

KWalker wrote:I remember reading Hansen made them himself.

There is no way to tell how aft they are from the pictures- the first makes them look normal, the second far back, and the others normal as well. Depends how long his toes are. If you remember that those cleats have the center line a bit further forward, then the first picture makes them look actually fairly under the 1st met protrusion. The second boa line from the front appears to be right at his first met, and the center of the cleat about 1cm behind it.

Judging by his bike setup and watching him pedal I'd be very surprised if his cleats were very far back. A rearward cleat position requires a much lower than average seat height to compensate as the foot becomes less of a lever, if I recall from his pro bike video on Cycling News he actually needs a 400mm seatpost just to get his seat high enough. Also, he is a leadout man for Greipel and moving the cleats further back really reduces top end snap and acceleration and he would still need that in a leadout to move quickly through gaps and step on the gas in the last few km.

The shoes would not be hard to make- someone would just have to make a basic mold to get the arch curvature right and then smooth out the footbed area a bit. They could then make a general mold of the foot and then place the carbon in the first mold and wrap it around the foot and cut the carbon accordingly before it dries. Probably easier said than done, but not impossible.
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

munk93

by munk93

Anyone got a better look at Spilak's bike in Today's Tour of Romandie stage? First thought was the Aeroad, but I actually think its the old Ultimate CF SLX. And I don't think that the reason is that the team hasn't got their hands on the new SLX yet. Kristoff was riding it in PR along with almost the whole team.

Guerdi

by Guerdi

Kozontchouk was riding the new slx. That's weird is the only one riding that frame.

pastronef

by pastronef

best place to put your Fanta can is your srm :mrgreen:

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

OK one of the two pictured, is a PRO rider. The other had too many cheeseburgers before his upcoming criterium today. Guess who's who.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Awesome! My favorite rider hands down....big results in that kids future.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

John really needs to lay off the burgers. And is amazingly short.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com