HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 1094, 1095, 1096, 1097, 1098, 1099, 1100 ... 1796  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:24 pm 

prendrefeu wrote:
Will BMC or Sky have any wears to show for their classics teams?

Ehm, Sky isn't on the starting list.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:59 pm 

LouisN wrote:
5 8 5 wrote:
I agree at that point it was "full gas" to get and stay on Cancellara's wheel during his attack up the Poggio.

IMO, at that point, Cancellara just joined the two man breakaway, and stepped on the gas to keep the pace up, and maybe accelerate things. It was Nibali, a few seconds earlier that did the brutal attack an put out the biggest sustained effort...yet. 3 guys with 3 strategies in mind. Gerrans , clever and strong at that point. Clever at the end.

Louis :)

I meant from the point when Cancellara caught them and went to the front.

wassertreter wrote:
5 8 5 wrote:
I'm talking about the run-in to the finish where you'd expect the breakaway riders to all contribute in some way to maximise it's chances of success.

What makes you come to that conclusion? Most of the finishes I've seen the pacing work wasn't shared fairly, and certainly even less so the more riders were involved, and the closer the finish line came.

Where did I say shared fairly? I said "contribute in some way". I meant all three had something to gain - a podium position in a Classic. It's the ideal maximum breakaway size in a one day race.

Lets look at some numbers. When Cancellara went to the front the time to the finish was just over 7 1/2 minutes.
Gerrans took one turn of 30 seconds. Nibali didn't take any. Cancellara did 7 minutes or 93.3% of the pulling.

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:59 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:04 am 

Timo wrote:
prendrefeu wrote:
Will BMC or Sky have any wears to show for their classics teams?

Ehm, Sky isn't on the starting list.

:lol: You are correct.

The classics, however, are not over. There are a few left.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:50 am 

BMC is not doing so hot this year, funny since they have the last 4 world champions, tons of support riders, and shitloads of money.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:46 am 

5 8 5 wrote:
Cancellara did 7 minutes or 93.3% of the pulling.

Except he wasn't pulling down the Poggio but tried to sprint away out of each turn.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:02 am 

Local Championship of Nothern Greece :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:20 am 

Kjetil wrote:
5 8 5 wrote:

Except he wasn't pulling down the Poggio but tried to sprint away out of each turn.

stop letting truth get in the way of a good story. cancellara is a god amongst men and should be allowed to win even when physically inferior riders outsmart him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:29 am 

Renshaw I wanted to be more successful as a sprinter

Don't know what kind of deal he has with Blanco, but sure doesn't look like it's working out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:01 am 

mentok wrote:
Kjetil wrote:
5 8 5 wrote:

stop letting truth get in the way of a good story. cancellara is a god amongst men and should be allowed to win even when physically inferior riders outsmart him.

There's been only one PR 'god' and that's Sean Kelly. He would have nipped off a Paris Nice, T of the Basque country and a few other victories beside by then, got some gold from some of the other classics afterwards perchance, finished in the top ten in the TdF with the points jersey, get a victory in the Vuelta, and bash 'em as winter looms in the T of Lombardy.

Fabio's gone to the seaside. In April. I rest my case.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:40 am 

SolidSnake03 wrote:
Interesting to see a pro on a cut-out saddle. Not too many pro's riding them so thought it was worth a mention
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gallery/a ... 972?img=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think Phinney uses a Romin also

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:04 am 

ticou wrote:
There's been only one PR 'god' and that's Sean Kelly. He would have nipped off a Paris Nice, T of the Basque country and a few other victories beside by then, got some gold from some of the other classics afterwards perchance, finished in the top ten in the TdF with the points jersey, get a victory in the Vuelta, and bash 'em as winter looms in the T of Lombardy.

Paris Roubaix god: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_De_Vlaeminck... or Boonan and his 4 victories.

Sean Kelly is more of an all-season-long type god.

ticou wrote:
Fabio's gone to the seaside. In April. I rest my case.

Well, he did just pull off the Flanders Roubaix double. Again. He could put his feet up for the rest of the year and still call it an excellent season.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:36 am 

sfo423 wrote:
bigtrain wrote:
I don't see how Stybar blew it . Getting hit by some idiot in the crowd was not his fault.

You want to ride outside the gutter and mix it up w/fans; you get what you get. Spart & Sep were well inside. Chalk it up to inexperience.

Firstly, we're talking about two separate incidents. Vandenburgh hit the spectator, Stybar swerved to avoid what looked like an imminent crash with a complete dickhead playing chicken with Cancellara.

I disagree about it being Vandenbourgh's fault, or due to inexperience. The outside line is by far the easiest, so it's the smart place to ride. It is a calculated risk but I would have thought it a relatively small risk compared to the massive benefit in terms of energy saved. The crash really shouldn't have happened and it's the spectator's fault.

Stybar lost the wheel when he unclipped and swerved to avoid the aforementioned complete dickhead. All three of them were right in the middle of the road at the time, not in the gutter. I didn't see what happened after that because the cameras stayed on Cancellara who didn't try to avoid said dickhead. He may've crashed into a spectator on the far side of the road, but if he did it was immaterial as he'd lost the wheel and wasn't ever going to get back on with Cancellara going full gas.

Maybe Stybar's inexperience contributed, in that he is less used to racing with crowds that aren't behind barriers, and maybe he shouldn't have swerved, but that's a whole realm of what-ifs (what-if, for example, the dickhead hadn't moved fast enough and Cancellara and Sep had gone down?).

I'm surprised that there has been much less discussion of this than of "wheel sucking" ( :roll: ). Stupid behaviours of spectators massively influenced the outcome of this race. OPQS were in very strong position with two of four riders in what was almost certainly going to be the winning break. They were robbed of their chance at one of the two most important races of their season through no real fault of their own.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:58 am 

Privateer wrote:
I'm surprised that there has been much less discussion of this than of "wheel sucking" ( :roll: ). Stupid behaviours of spectators massively influenced the outcome of this race. OPQS were in very strong position with two of four riders in what was almost certainly going to be the winning break. They were robbed of their chance at one of the two most important races of their season through no real fault of their own.

there's really no discussion though, even from stijn' pov (cyclingtips)

"I was just on the side of the road, and a spectator was lined up in front of me. So I hit him and I crashed, and that’s that. I chose the side and not the cobblestones. I was too close to the spectators and I crashed. In any case, I felt really good when I was away with Sep Vanmarcke earlier in the race. I was riding just 90 percent, and I saw on his face that he was suffering and I felt better. He is 2nd today, so it is hard for me that I am not on the podium today."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:53 pm 

Sure, maybe the Stijn crash was one of those "hey, that's racing" moments, but the spectator playing chicken with Cancellara was way beyond acceptable behaviour, even for drunk classics fans.

He almost took down the entire breakaway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:28 pm 

Renshaw just isn't that good against the top few bunch sprinters- basically a Goss with less wins, but not Farrar bad.

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:28 pm 

Go to page Previous  1 ... 1094, 1095, 1096, 1097, 1098, 1099, 1100 ... 1796  Next