"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

djconnel

by djconnel

Nibali position updated by Specialized:

For animation, I matched pad position.
"Nibali's bars were raised so he could try to relax his shoulders and drop his head"

Did photos get swapped?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

euan wrote:Disc covers aren't allowed by the UCI

Are we clear which specific UCI reg stop wheel covers?
I know they have usually not been allowed to be used, but they'd seem to pass the first level regs at least - 3:1 doesn't apply to wheels, TT wheels don't need to pass a rupture test, and fairings are allowed where a credit card can pass between the shielded part (wheel in this case) and the other part (frame)?

djconnel

by djconnel

All components must be structural, not specifically to aid aerodynamics. Same rule which prevents fairings.
USA Cycling specifically allowed them, viewing it as an economic fairness issue, although most fatty masters end up buying full disks anyway, even if they're no better.

erty65

by erty65

pastronef wrote:
erty65 wrote:
ave wrote:I know it's nothing new, but these bars seems extremely narrow for Hansen's size.What I don't really know is what's the benefit?
More comfortable with a narrow bar.

that should be a 40 cm c/c
or maybe even 38?
Maybe!

Wingnut

by Wingnut

ave wrote:I know it's nothing new, but these bars seems extremely narrow for Hansen's size.

What I don't really know is what's the benefit?

Placebo effect...

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Personally, I'm a supporter of any placebo effect in fitness. If it provides any sort of performance improvement, keep doing it!

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I remember years ago gilbert duclos-lassalle was having problems with his bike position...he asked for his seat to be lowered & his manager thought it was all in his mind...result was the seat wasn't lowered but gilbert duclos-lassalle was told it had been...duclos-lassalle went on to do very well in his next few races non the wiser...placebo...

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

djconnel wrote:All components must be structural, not specifically to aid aerodynamics. Same rule which prevents fairings.
USA Cycling specifically allowed them, viewing it as an economic fairness issue, although most fatty masters end up buying full disks anyway, even if they're no better.

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getOb ... M&LangId=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To me it's an area where there's some conflict between different sections, and it seems not 100% clear to me which components are intended to be covered by which parts.
Reg 1.3.024 says (paraphrasing as it won't let me copy/paste now) ANY device added or blended into the structure to decrease aero drag is prohibited.
Then, later on, the same reg specifies how to make a fairing that IS allowed - a fairing encloses a moving part and is legal if a credit card can be passed between the moving and fixed parts of the bike.

I don't see a strict requirement in terms of being "structural", maybe because that is very difficult to define/determine - Can't bolt on wheelcovers, but you can tape them? Or can't tape them but you can glue them? Or gluing, but only if done by the original manufacturer?
Not that they have gone completely away from the"difficult to define" - see that you can only tape valve holes in discs with tape supplied by the wheel manufacturer :?

campbellrae

by campbellrae

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gallery/a ... ok-36168/1

Cav's bike for this year. Looks awful to me... Really 'busy'.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Yashnoon

by Yashnoon

Seat looks pretty far forward... Fit seems a bit off.

Plus like Cambellray said, too busy.

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

Yashnoon wrote:Seat looks pretty far forward... Fit seems a bit off.

Plus like Cambellray said, too busy.

He has always ran his seat forward. If you look back at the Scott bikes, it looked worse because he ran the Arione.

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?

Tillquist

by Tillquist

Cofidis is testing a new prototype Look TT bikes for use in the 2013 Tour de France.
See all my bike h e r e

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

his saddle looks pretty centered in the 25mm offset option of seatpost imho.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

campbellrae wrote:http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gallery/article/mark-cavendishs-2013-specialized-mclaren-venge-first-look-36168/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cav's bike for this year. Looks awful to me... Really 'busy'.

Hate the way the down tube arch doesn't follow same radius as the wheel ( if you know what i mean) also a carbon stem?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com