"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

Kjetil wrote:That is a pretty bike!

I want to know what size that bike is.

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

campbellrae

by campbellrae

To quote Rob Warner: How does he walk with balls that big?!

ave

by ave

Actually Kittinger and Andreyev had big balls, yes.
They did their jump 50 years ago, nobody went any higher before them, and supporting technology was a bit weaker, wasn't it.

Cyco

by Cyco

gg333 wrote:I would have to say that the rider I now have my biggest doubts about is Boardman. His "athletes hour" record is so ludicrously further than anyone else.

The 'superman' position played a HUGE role in this ride.

I tried it at the time and it took over 4 seconds off my 4000m IP times, or close to an 2% improvement with no optimisation or adaptation phase (went back and forward to test for consistency).

Considering he spent a lot of time training in it, and used a more extreme version (flatter) than I was riding I see no problems with him going just over 1% further than Rominger.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Wilier, did you mean "Slovakia" ?
Sagan probably relaxes at home.
Or is that not him with his snoot in the suds?
Funny photo nonetheless. Thanks for sharing.

gg333

by gg333

Cyco wrote:
gg333 wrote:I would have to say that the rider I now have my biggest doubts about is Boardman. His "athletes hour" record is so ludicrously further than anyone else.

The 'superman' position played a HUGE role in this ride.

I tried it at the time and it took over 4 seconds off my 4000m IP times, or close to an 2% improvement with no optimisation or adaptation phase (went back and forward to test for consistency).

Considering he spent a lot of time training in it, and used a more extreme version (flatter) than I was riding I see no problems with him going just over 1% further than Rominger.

Not in the "athletes hour" it didn't as the rules meant he had to do the record on a traditional steel bike with no aero bars.

Timo

by Timo

gg333 wrote:Not in the "athletes hour" it didn't as the rules meant he had to do the record on a traditional steel bike with no aero bars.

Yeah, but you know, Boardman was special, he could do all that at the height of the EPO era against all those doped riders without touching the stuff :thumbup:
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

gg333

by gg333

^ exactly my point

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

Boardman was so specifically trained, he drilled threshold training and was a impressive athlete, yet beyond the TT and track he never really found alot of success. Which leads me to believe that he was clean. He also was in direct competition with another athlete that we know to be clean, Graeme Obree.

Unless he started doping before his first big wins as a junior that is.

LeePaton

by LeePaton

Yeah if Boardman was doping he was not doing it well, possible tour winner if he had. IMO of course.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

So is anyone following the new cyclocross season at the moment? If so check out my friend Alex Zander "Moustache" Revell! He's the only male New Zealand CX rider on the European UCI circuit. He's giving it his best shot. I'm sure some of you would have seen him at the first Superprestige and the recent Ronse Trofee race just been.

Here's his most recent blog entry for Spoke Magazine too http://spokemagazine.com/2012/10/16/rolling-meadows-struggling-minnows/

ave

by ave

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

LeePaton wrote:Yeah if Boardman was doping he was not doing it well, possible tour winner if he had. IMO of course.

I remember an article with him in the mags a few years ago. I think superman played a significant role in the distance because when he went for the athletes hour that stood with Merckx 49.431, he broke it by a very slim margin indeed. We all have views about whether someone is clean or not; personally I would say he was clean. He couldn't understand why he had the physical numbers but was getting mashed in the Grand Tours.