"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

djconnel wrote:How many here would have ever even heard of Katusha had they not sponsored pro cycling?
I heard of their rockets long before I heard of their pro cycling team.

Liggero

by Liggero

trychle wrote:Is this the future of the sport alongside bicycle manufacturers taking over teams?

I might be pessimistic, but I do no longer see why any company from outside the cycling industry would want to sponsor a professional cycling team (due to doping-issues, reliabilty problems..).
But then again, it might be better for professional cycling after all.
As I see it cycling fans can actually make sure that professional cycling is preserved in this tendency.

maybe...

but if you consider how cheap is a pro cycling team compared to a soccer team, or f1 team... and the global rising of cycling as an activity...
i think cycling brands noticed this, and, they get the largest advertising profit. they don't do a favour to pro cycling, pro-cycling gives them the best advertising, i would say. mtb on the contrary, is actually held thanks to the cycling industry.
Happy Trails !!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lippythelion

by lippythelion

ultyguy wrote:Banco Santander looks the obvious one to step in as the lead sponsor as they've had a long cooperation w/ Alonso in F1 and of course have their heart in the region (well Cantabria, but close).

I think Alonso had persuaded Santander to sponsor a cycling team in '09 but they backed off when the recession hit.

airwise

by airwise

Does anyone have details of who does the testing at the Vuelta?

Every year it throws up some remarkable performances from has beens or unknowns and racing unlike that which we see elsewhere.

Is it the Spanish federation or WADA that are doing the controls?

ave

by ave

I see no suspicious results here.
In my amateur races the best riders are also 40+, this must be the norm. ;)

maquisard

by maquisard

In fairness to Horner he is one of the most open riders out there with his SRM data. Both he and Roche have already released the SRM data from their earlier stage wins and the power outputs were nothing spectacular. No dodgy power estimates required.

Roche : http://www.stickybottle.com/coaching/ni ... l-40-secs/

Horner : http://www.srm.de/news/road-cycling/vue ... a-stage-3/

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Castelli has signed an exclusive partnership agreement ...
Castelli will continue with its close partnership with Team Garmin-Sharp for the 2014 and 2015 seasons.

Cool, but they need to step it up on the press side :smartass:
Last edited by HillRPete on Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djconnel

by djconnel

maquisard wrote:In fairness to Horner he is one of the most open riders out there with his SRM data. Both he and Roche have already released the SRM data from their earlier stage wins and the power outputs were nothing spectacular.

The standard for unspectular is different at 29 than it is at 41.

The term "anti-aging doctor" comes to mind (for example), and not just with Horner. Test thresholds are set to accomodate the endocrine system of a 21 year old, not the 21 year old's father.

I'm not accusing Horner of anything. It does, however, come across as very, very strange. For example, the oldest winner of the Tour was 36, in 1922. There was the same strangeness about Leipheimer when he was dominating races at 37, but that's even four years younger.

As an aside, isn't it remarkable how many successful pro stage races of the past 20 years were prone to premature baldness? Even Lance's hairline was on retreat until 2006, after which it halted coincident with his retirement.

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

Danish cyclingblog Veloropa, who generally is quite informed, heard rumours of Horner doping before the Tour of Utah. Is going to be quite interesting to see if the accusations hold up.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

KWalker

by KWalker

airwise wrote:Does anyone have details of who does the testing at the Vuelta?

Every year it throws up some remarkable performances from has beens or unknowns and racing unlike that which we see elsewhere.

Is it the Spanish federation or WADA that are doing the controls?

Who was unknown last year? Cobo is the biggest suspicion, but a lot of the riders this year either had late starts to their schedules or plenty of rest leading into the race.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

KWalker

by KWalker

Horner is looking even thinner than normal. I dunno if I really believe it or not, but he hasn't raced much this year and has been very consistent with his racing the past few years. It seems as if his rise on the Pro Tour coincides right with when all the pros claimed things cleaned up and they stopped using.

Rumors of him doping have been around for years and are mainly based on speculation because he typically trains alone in remote locations in CA and Oregon in the mountains. It was long rumored that he had a cabin near Big Bear that was almost impossible to find in order to foil USADA, but I always found that hard to believe as they could probably just sit on the nearest main road and find him.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

airwise

by airwise

@Maquisard

I don't know 6.75w/kg for nigh on 8 mins and over 8 w/kg for over two? A look at an athlete's fatigue profile would set a few alarm bells ringing, even if he weren't 42, with all the implications on aerobic capability that has

djm

by djm

I'm ignoring all the ringing alarm bells and for the first time in several years really enjoying watching a GC rider doing well :-)

May the smiling redneck win! :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

HA!
Horner isn't a redneck, that's for sure. Oregon man, yes. Redneck, no. Not even close.

That said, Wikipedia lists him at 5'11" (1.80m). :shock:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.