"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

Want to post what part of the podcast it is at because I, and many others, have no desire to listen to these guys talk for an hour to hear 1 sentence or two.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Check out Horner's new book, hot off the press (October 1, 2013). Has some pretty racy topics.
http://velopress.com/books/reading-the-race/ wrote:Reading the Race
Bike Racing from Inside the Peloton
Jamie Smith with Chris Horner

In Reading the Race, race announcer Jamie Smith and veteran road captain Chris Horner team up to deliver a master class in bike racing strategies and tactics. Armed with strategies and tactics learned over thousands of races, cyclists and cycling fans will learn how to read a race—and see how to win it.

Bike racing is called a rolling chess game for a reason. Sure, a high pain threshold and a killer VO2max are helpful. But if you’re in it to win it, you need race smarts, and a little undetectable help. Starting breaks, forming alliances, microdoping, managing a lapped field, setting up a sprint—on every page, Horner and Smith reveal new secrets to faster racing and better results.

Smith and Horner dissect common mistakes, guiding riders with lessons learned from decades of racing experience. Reading the Race reveals the veteran’s eye view on:

Assembling the best possible team
Crafting strategies around the team, course, and rivals
Reacting instantly to common scenarios
Releasing bio passport data without understanding it
Making deals and combines
Breaks, echelons, blocking
Pack protocol and etiquette
Finishing in the prize money or on the podium
Winning the group ride

Whether you’re a new racer, an aspiring pro, a team manager, or even a roadside fan, Reading the Race will elevate your cycling IQ and hemoglobin for better racing.

Paperback with illustrations throughout.
7″ x 9″, 256 pp., $18.95, 9781937715106

53x12

by 53x12

HammerTime2 wrote:Check out Horner's new book, hot off the press (October 1, 2013). Has some pretty racy topics.

In Reading the Race, race announcer Jamie Smith and veteran road captain Chris Horner team up to deliver a master class in bike racing strategies and tactics. Armed with strategies and tactics learned over thousands of races, cyclists and cycling fans will learn how to read a race—and see how to win it.

Bike racing is called a rolling chess game for a reason. Sure, a high pain threshold and a killer VO2max are helpful. But if you’re in it to win it, you need race smarts, and a little undetectable help. Starting breaks, forming alliances, microdoping, managing a lapped field, setting up a sprint—on every page, Horner and Smith reveal new secrets to faster racing and better results.

Smith and Horner dissect common mistakes, guiding riders with lessons learned from decades of racing experience. Reading the Race reveals the veteran’s eye view on:

Winning the group ride

Whether you’re a new racer, an aspiring pro, a team manager, or even a roadside fan, Reading the Race will elevate your cycling IQ and hemoglobin for better racing.

Hammer, how is that any different than what you posted yesterday AM? I am confused. Did you forget you posted this yesterday?

HammerTime2 wrote:

Winning the group ride

"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

HammerTime2 has replaced J-Nice as dope police.
Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Unless it becomes a compulsive disorder.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

petepeterson

by petepeterson

KWalker wrote:Want to post what part of the podcast it is at because I, and many others, have no desire to listen to these guys talk for an hour to hear 1 sentence or two.

It's at the 29min mark.

MC - "Does stuff like seeing Horner keep going make you go like fack, he's older than me....."
LL - "uhhhhh..... I think I'll bite my tongue on that one...."

AGW

by AGW

stella-azzurra wrote:HammerTime2 has replaced J-Nice as dope police.
Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Unless it becomes a compulsive disorder.

More like 53x12 is the new dupe police. Rather than just leave a dupe alone or report it like a good little brown shirt, he quotes it for posterity and confounds the litter. I believe he even sent me a PM about one of my posts to make sure I'd noticed something he'd posted about the same topic. Go ride your bike...

tranzformer

by tranzformer

AGW, go ride your bike.

djconnel

by djconnel

Tour distances are holding strong since 2000. This year's tour was short, but with no prologue and only a single long time trial, 2014 is the longest in awhile:

djconnel

by djconnel

The transformation is complete...

nathanong87 wrote:Image

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

brother from another mother....uncanny

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

ok, so which one won the sumo???

Stefano

by Stefano

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lefever ... he-giro-di

Interesting... I say that doing the giro, especially this particular giro, may have hurt with Cav's chances in the tour? Look at the results

2008- abandons giro halfway through, 4 tour stages
2009- abandons giro halfway through, 6 tour stages
2010- doesn't ride giro, 5 tour stages
2011- abandons giro halfway through, 5 tour stages and green jersey
2012- Goes for giro points, 3 Tour stages
2013- Wins giro points, 2 tour stages.

I just think that even when your are a sprinter, the rules still apply- you can't be on top form in both the giro and tour.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Pure sprinters go for stage wins.
Cipollini packed his bags once the road headed up.
Look for Kittel to spoil Cav's party.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

Not sure if this is OT but this might have weighed on Rabo's choice to leave the sport

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... resurfaces

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com