"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

hasbeen

by hasbeen

It would and it is warranted. The scrutiny is based on simple logic and common sense. I think they have the riders for a sweep but considering their response to last years scrutiny I think they might be too smart to make it happen.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

djconnel

by djconnel

I'm less suspicious of Sky having read Wiggins' book, which is excellent.

The key insight isn't so much how professional Sky was in their Tour prep, but more how unprofessional the standard was prior. They really take a comprehensive approach to fitness of the entire team, not just star riders, including everything: diet, sleep, training. Maybe there's some semi-shady stuff going on, Barry claimed Tramadol, which Sky denies.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

^ This was quite the same situation which English football was in during the 90s when a lot of Italian players like Ravanelli, Vialli and Zola came across to the EPL, and the first thing they noticed was the shocking culture and fitness regiment of the English players - no focus on diet & nutrition, and a boozy culture. I remember reading an interview with Ravanelli in 4-4-2 magazine saying how so much of the English culture revolved around drinking and bad eating habits, even players eating bacon sandwiches before games to ease their hangover, while he would be eating a light pasta dish with salad, and he was totally blown away with how amateur their set up was compared to Serie A an La Liga. They've obviously come light years since then, and the whole culture has evolved in to a full emphasis on diet, training methodology, recovery etc.
All I know is that the money invested in to this whole package now is astronomical and it appears that every facet of the athlete's life is scrutinized, so it's definitely win at all cost!
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

ichobi

by ichobi

Michale Hutchinson's book "faster" is a revealing read in this aspect. It details how British cycling (and partly Team Sky) brought science in to the game, and how that changes everything. He explores coaching, nutrition, aerodynamics, psychology and physiology with lots of interview from experts in the British Cycling scene (he was part of the track squad) in great details.

redcard

by redcard

hasbeen wrote:It would and it is warranted. The scrutiny is based on simple logic and common sense. I think they have the riders for a sweep but considering their response to last years scrutiny I think they might be too smart to make it happen.

I hope you didn't spend too much time thinking this over.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

MarkGiardini wrote:^ This was quite the same situation which English football was in during the 90s when a lot of Italian players like Ravanelli, Vialli and Zola came across to the EPL, and the first thing they noticed was the shocking culture and fitness regiment of the English players - no focus on diet & nutrition, and a boozy culture. I remember reading an interview with Ravanelli in 4-4-2 magazine saying how so much of the English culture revolved around drinking and bad eating habits, even players eating bacon sandwiches before games to ease their hangover, while he would be eating a light pasta dish with salad, and he was totally blown away with how amateur their set up was compared to Serie A an La Liga. They've obviously come light years since then, and the whole culture has evolved in to a full emphasis on diet, training methodology, recovery etc.
All I know is that the money invested in to this whole package now is astronomical and it appears that every facet of the athlete's life is scrutinized, so it's definitely win at all cost!

While I have no doubt that English footballers of the 90s didn't take care of themselves the best...
Sheringham in the 'dentists chair' at 96 Euro..

Italian football was light years ahead in other 'methods' as well...

http://www.goal.com/en-au/slideshow/213 ... g-scandals

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

We got the job done

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

KB

by KB

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/27729769

Appears Wiggins will not be riding, but it may be part of a campaign for inclusion.

KB

by KB

MarkGiardini wrote:^ This was quite the same situation which English football was in during the 90s when a lot of Italian players like Ravanelli, Vialli and Zola came across to the EPL, and the first thing they noticed was the shocking culture and fitness regiment of the English players ...

Not quite. There was no money in cycling in the UK. In my own club in the late 60's we had a couple of international riders. They even had to give their jersey's back after races and in some instances had to pay travel expenses. Everyone had fulltime jobs, even the home based pro's. So, it's little wonder that they could not compete at the top level.

10 years ago if someone had said we would produce 2 Tour winners and a rider such as Cavendish winning 25 stages in the Tour, I would have said they were barking mad.

At the end of the day it's about investment and that has been the catalyst to where we are now.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

redcard wrote:
hasbeen wrote:It would and it is warranted. The scrutiny is based on simple logic and common sense. I think they have the riders for a sweep but considering their response to last years scrutiny I think they might be too smart to make it happen.

Comment of the year. :thumbup:
Im wondering if the poster was wearing a tinfoil hat "to cut out the radio transmissions in my head" when he made the post :roll:

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

Not talking about the money I was talking about their attitude to training and diet etc.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Bugger for Wiggo, but I guess his consistently shitty attitude towards froomie did him in.

KB

by KB

Not just against Froome. He went on a bender after winning gold in Beijing and left Cavendish with no where to go in the Madison. Left Garmin after all they did for him to go to Sky. I also think of the mountain stage that Valverde won in 2012 when the team could easily have allowed Froome to chase and take victory with minimal lost time. Last year he stirred it up saying he would like to defend the Tour; leading up to it whereas beforehand he was stating Froome was the man.

For me Wiggins is no team player and I could envisage him turning bandit on Froome if it suits him. Yes, I would like to see Wiggins ride because he rode a great race in California, but I fully understand why Sky would not pick him.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

Leviathan wrote:
redcard wrote:

Comment of the year. :thumbup:
Im wondering if the poster was wearing a tinfoil hat "to cut out the radio transmissions in my head" when he made the post :roll:

No tinfoil hat sadly. Maybe I know a bit more than most but there is no need to get into it. I will simply say that if you think they are riding clean, all "bread and water" like, then you are setting yourself up for disappointment. They are still the best athletes in the world though. Will end it there. I dont want to turn this back into a doping thing. :thumbup:
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com