"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

Its Tommy D are you really surprised he didn't win?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

Disclaimer- I don't like Farrar

With that said, why on earth would Garmin re-sign him? There are slews of great riders out there that can contribute more as domestiques that have more results that they could easily sign. In a year where there is a large surplus of riders this just seems kinda like a dumb move.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

My guess is JV just likes him.....we all know that he can let emotions rather than rational thinking rule his decision making. I think that Farrar is a hard-working, clean rider and JV truly believes that his luck will turn around.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

That's really the only explanation... along with a pay cut.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

ultyguy wrote:Surprised to see Tommy V's lead disintegrate so quickly today, he had almost 3 min at top Ghisallo. Rumour of a crash in a tunnel, anyone else heard that?

I think it's pretty reasonable 3 mins over 35k is only 5s/km 1 guy vs. the bunch.

Plus I think riding over the Ghisallo solo off the front = a win in Tommy V land.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

LOL at valverdes comment re: tour of beijing

"Thanks to this win he's won the WorldTour so and doesn't need to go to China…"

Gives you an idea of what the riders think of that little project.

Herb5998

by Herb5998

Good Point, after reading JV's article on the election and the fact that the teams have pretty much subsidized the Tour of Beijing since the inception with their license fees.....I can see why no one important attends it.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

little dude kills it. one of my fav riders!

JamieL

by JamieL

Yep - i had £5 on valverde and i still wanted Purito to hang on :?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Also stoked for Rodriguez. One of the riders of the recent years. Always there when it matters. Never any excuses. A genuine role model.

PS: Jerseys for World Tour points leader and/or last year's respective winner would be great.

trychle

by trychle

'Paint me like one of your french girls', never mind, 'STRIKE!'

ultyguy

by ultyguy

From VN article where Vaughters is taking about the shape of his team for next year.

Slagter, he said, should pan out to be a stellar climber over the long run.

“That guy, he’s got big things ahead of him, that’s for sure. He’s explosive on the one, two, three kilometer-long climbs. He’s unproven on the longer climbs, but that’s exactly how ‘Purito’ Rodriguez started out,” Vaughters said. “There’s this old saying in physiology that says you can make a marathoner out of a miler but you can’t make a miler out of a marathoner. I think as time passes he’ll prove to be better and better on the longer slopes.”

I have to say I'm slightly surprised to see Vaughters give the ex-ONCE rider praise :noidea:

I don't really have any beef with Purito, I think most of his results and his rise to promienence over the past few years probably has a lot to do w/ a less doped peloton. But, I also would be amazed if he didn't dabble in his younger days.

pastronef

by pastronef

@Ultyguy: I did not even remember Purito rode for ONCE :mrgreen:

Rijs troubles continue. Just 16 riders for 2014, and rumours are he's selling stuff to the Danish continental team (not more about it, if it's bikes, cars or whatever)

can Alonso come to the rescue?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

ultyguy wrote:I have to say I'm slightly surprised to see Vaughters give the ex-ONCE rider praise :noidea:

I don't really have any beef with Purito, I think most of his results and his rise to promienence over the past few years probably has a lot to do w/ a less doped peloton. But, I also would be amazed if he didn't dabble in his younger days.

What's your beef with giving praise where it's due? Vaughters, having been in the thick of it himself, is way less pretentious than many others in the sport.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

No, for sure, no beef at all. I think Purito rides with his heart on his sleeve more than just about anyone these days and I do believe that he's clean these days. The guy gives it harder than anyone else throughout the year, props to him.

I just found it odd that Vaughters used him as a marker of performance knowing that he probably (hopefully) has a different history than TJ-S or another young rider would have.