"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Yup he is, and they are all (Contador, Froome, Nibbles) sharing a hotel at Teide ( http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cycling/27616069 ).

As usual I am not the only cyclist here as Chris Froome, Ritchie Porte, Vincenzo Nibali and Alberto Contador are all currently roaming the halls of the hotel parador

http://cameronwurf.blogspot.ch/
Last edited by ultyguy on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

petepeterson wrote: How do the Brit cycling fans feel about this? Is there pressure on Brailsford to include Wiggo from sponsors etc?

In the past Brailsford's been unafraid to pick who he thinks will deliver the result, i.e., Kenny over Hoy at the last Olympics. So, there was no sentiment there. The best result for Contador would be for Sky to pick Wiggins because then the in-fighting will start. I believe that even with Contador's return to form, Froome is still his equal although not much between them. Internecine rivalry within Sky could tip it in Contador's favour.

If Froome has a say, then Wiggins will not go, but I think Brailsford would like to pick him. And Wiggins is no team player and I think he would disobey orders if it suited him. Some will say Wiggins should be in based on his California performance and he looks the best he's been since 2012 and there's the long TT at the end, but I don't see him beating Martin and the mountain top finishes will have seen him lose too much time. Wiggins will be giving it loads in the Tour de Suisse. I think he would need the win there to get in the team.

For me it's a straight fight between Contador and Froome. I don't think Nibali or Valverde quite have it to upset them. But then I think they'll all soon have to get used to Quintana in Yellow in the same way that Sagan dominates the green.

As for the sponsors, the obvious result is to deliver the win. So, irrespective of nationality, the best bet is for Froome to decide who rides. But here in Blighty, some view Wiggins as true Brit and support him, whilst others see Froome as something else, especially when he speaks.

Would love to know what's going around in Brailsford's head. Quite a lot to consider!

mjduct

by mjduct

Wiggins will be in the tour, he's already pledged to support Fromme if picked, he's too strong of a motor to leave on the bench and a heck of a backup option if things go wrong for Froomey (Illness, Mechanical, Injury) Wiggins is also way out of tour winning shape, he's been on easy street since we won gold at the Olympics, he knows he can't really compete to win the yellow jersey, maybe take the ITT stages and hold on to the yellow as long as he can when the road goes vertical. But his biggest reward at this point would be a stage win or two, a little time in yellow and supporting the overall victory of his team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

World Cup & Tour de France...
Oh what a way to start the summer!!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

Regarding Froome's profile here (UK), if he did win this year the headlines would still read 'Sir Wiggins helps secure victory for Sky'. Froome has no charisma.

elSid

by elSid

Re: Wiggins

I agree, a win or strong result in the TdS would make denial of a TdF spot hard to rationalize.

Another thing I'm sure Brailsford is considering: a first-week crash - in particular on the "Roubaix" stage - taking out Froome is a real possibility (e.g., Wiggins 2011 TdF). Why not include a backup plan rider with a TdF record equal to that of Froome?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Pharmstrong wrote:Regarding Froome's profile here (UK), if he did win this year the headlines would still read 'Sir Wiggins helps secure victory for Sky'. Froome has no charisma.

Doesn't help that he's a plastic brit.

ave

by ave

There is already a backup plan with Porte, no?

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Wiggo hasn't really been doing the Tenerife training camps though has he? He wouldn't have that same conditioning as he did in 2012

hna

by hna

ave wrote:There is already a backup plan with Porte, no?

I would rather have Wiggo as backup than Porte with all the problems he has had this season.

stuka666

by stuka666

If they all go to the Tour, who is going to the Vuelta?

lippythelion

by lippythelion

Sky couldn't care less about the Vuelta mate.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

stuka666 wrote:If they all go to the Tour, who is going to the Vuelta?

who is going to beat Quintana there anyways...
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

stuka666

by stuka666

I'd like to know if even Horner is going to the Vuelta.. I read something about he maybe going to the Tour, but Costa will be their main man. Working on the Tour and targeting the Vuelta doesn't seem real.

Purito might be going..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

russianbear

by russianbear

Purito to come in 2nd at the Vuelta.