"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Around here guys that brake for no apparent reason to get you off their wheel end up in ditch soon after. Don't end up in a ditch. :lol:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ave

by ave

Does anybody know WTF is this? (I took the shot from Eurosport.)

pastronef

by pastronef

in Girona on the old bridge "pont de piedra" they usually meet at 10:00 am
I saw Rollin in FdJ kit, Dan Martin, a Baku guy (maybe Brammeier) and one An Post guy, last february.
actually I was walking to the bar for a cafe' con leche, and waiting for the temperature to rise a bit to go riding.
I did not ask, but I think I could have just followed them going out of town. as soon as the hilly terrain would begin, they would have left me behind without noticing.

AGW

by AGW

ave wrote:Does anybody know WTF is this? (I took the shot from Eurosport.)

Are you able to check your Eurosport feed and let me know who wins P-R next year?

KWalker

by KWalker

xnavalav8r wrote:
KWalker wrote:To answer your question it seems that many MAMILs basically ride around solo until they can latch onto a rider or group that has no interest with riding with them. They will often triumphantly pass you at a random, dangerous point in the road to prove that they are hella faster than the racer guy and thus relevant on some level. Around here these types are usually on Parlees, Gurus, or bespoke steel frames and some sort of deep carbon tubular wheels. Sort of like a lot of posters on this forum.

The one time I saw Boonen out on the road I was a bit awe struck, but had no intention of trying to tag along. Kinda creepy to just take a camera phone photo from a distance without permission. I don't see what the big deal is unless you can actually chat with the person, but even then these guys put their pants on 1 leg at a time like the rest of us so unless its a really cool experience to have an interesting non-bike conversation with the rider its just taking a picture of a dude on a bike.

I would be offended by this generalization, but it's far too accurate to dispute. I'm a middle-aged guy myself (apparently) and I constantly deal with random strays sucking my wheel and then sprinting past me for the next mile marker without even uttering a "hello." I'm all for strangers joining up on a ride, but at least be courteous about it.

I want to clarify that I have nothing against middle-aged males, dudes with nice bikes, or talking to people on rides. I've come across a few WW's especially in the Bay Area as I've recognized their bikes from the intro forum and all were super nice and good riders that could figure out how to ride 2 abreast and have a conversation.

The type I'm talking about are typical either very new or of the mindset that their cost of their equipment is a limiting factor. You can guarantee if I had the means I'd have some of their bikes, but hopefully would have learned something about common courtesy on the road.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

martinko

by martinko

ave wrote:Does anybody know WTF is this? (I took the shot from Eurosport.)

I thought it is Sastre, but he had different logos and man and woman on sides are dressed differently than that year (I deeply apologise I don't know their name, I don't bother searching them anyway).

Norregard

by Norregard

It seems to be a bad photo/videoshop of the 2010 TDF award ceremony. Just look at all the similarities with this picture:

Don't know why anyone would want to photoshop Saxo or 2015 on there, and then broadcast it on an international TV station though.

Rudi

by Rudi

Only reason I can think of why a TV company might want to photoshop and broadcast this would be if they were running some kind of "2015 predictions" show and wanted to mock up what the winners of various events would look like.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

Wingnut

by Wingnut

KWalker wrote:To answer your question it seems that many MAMILs basically ride around solo until they can latch onto a rider or group that has no interest with riding with them. They will often triumphantly pass you at a random, dangerous point in the road to prove that they are hella faster than the racer guy and thus relevant on some level. Around here these types are usually on Parlees, Gurus, or bespoke steel frames and some sort of deep carbon tubular wheels. Sort of like a lot of posters on this forum

Wow ! You just described a day in the life on the Mornington Peninsula, especially today...just add some Colnago's to the description... ;)