"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Haha! If there's a way for Purito to come 2nd, he'll find it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

hna wrote:
ave wrote:There is already a backup plan with Porte, no?

I would rather have Wiggo as backup than Porte with all the problems he has had this season.

Ditto. Also Brad has shown his worth on the cobbles as well so he will be a help there, and also if he makes the team, maybe even a hope for the stage. It's only one stage but the old cliche of you can lose the Tour there comes into play

mjduct

by mjduct

ave wrote:There is already a backup plan with Porte, no?

Porte is a 1-2 climbing stage pony, then he gets dropped the next day. Remember when garmin put Froomey on his own for half a stage last year? Where was Porte then? At the back of the pack Wheel sucking a domestique for a continental team who's whole budget couldn't buy his bike...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

indigo

by indigo

^
|
|

mmm, lol ? He's had a couple of bad days (who hasn't) and he's had health issues this year, but Porte is still top drawer. You're not seriously calling him a 1-trick pony ??

boysa

by boysa

Porte falling off on that stage last year was such a farce. Eventually he just about bridged the gap himself, then sat up before making contact.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

hasbeen

by hasbeen

Porte getting dropped was smoke and mirrors. No question in my mind that it needed to happen that way. Sky should/could go 1-2-3 at the Tour if they want.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Lord :roll:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

petepeterson

by petepeterson

It's worth noting how cycling has changed in just a few short years and I guess it's for the better. Instead of figuring out what the other guys are doing for 'preparation' most of the tour favs are all at the same very small hotel in the middle of nowhere to get some extra red blood cells and distraction free training in. Ethically it's better of course but I don't think the mindset is all that different.

mjduct

by mjduct

boysa wrote:Porte falling off on that stage last year was such a farce. Eventually he just about bridged the gap himself, then sat up before making contact.

Yeah leaving your team leader to cover attacks from 3 teams singlehanded on his first day in yellow is really a brilliant strategy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

stuka666 wrote:I'd like to know if even Horner is going to the Vuelta.. I read something about he maybe going to the Tour, but Costa will be their main man. Working on the Tour and targeting the Vuelta doesn't seem real.

Purito might be going..

I would assume (dangerous, I know) that if Horner goes to the Tour it would definitely be in a support role and aimed at getting some hard racing days in his legs. If he goes I would expect him to be in some breaks on mountain stages to provide support to the team leader. I would also be surprised to see him race the full three weeks.

I'm no team director though. This is all just wild guessing.

stuka666

by stuka666

Yeah, if he goes it has to be on that condition.. but is that the best option in building up for the Vuelta?

Meh.. the thing that bothers me is the fact that Lampre won't have enough workers for both Rui Costa and Horner in both grand tours.. but hey.. Horner last year rode "almost" alone to victory ffs.

martinko

by martinko

petepeterson wrote:It's worth noting how cycling has changed in just a few short years and I guess it's for the better. Instead of figuring out what the other guys are doing for 'preparation' most of the tour favs are all at the same very small hotel in the middle of nowhere to get some extra red blood cells and distraction free training in. Ethically it's better of course but I don't think the mindset is all that different.

So it isn't any better. They (not only the riders, but maybe those who Lance will later tell us about :D ) have just found out how to hide it and be ok with public.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

^ i've no idea what you're talking about :noidea:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

stuka666 wrote:but hey.. Horner last year rode "almost" alone to victory ffs.
The key word being "almost". I'm not sure Horner rode "alone", heh, heh.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

hasbeen wrote:Sky should/could go 1-2-3 at the Tour if they want.

And that wouldn't draw any more scrutiny and suspicion than a lot of people already put them under of doping now would it?