"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

micky

by micky

5 8 5 wrote:I enjoy reading The Secret Pro.

"And speaking of new gear, some of our sponsors have been playing with prototypes and new product releases lately.
Unfortunately some of the new stuff is absolute crap."

I wonder if he's referring to 9070?

My bet is on it too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

Tinea Pedis wrote:Something has to give. 5 GC riders in one team.

Just ain't gunna fit.

You mean like money?

Fiery

by Fiery

KWalker wrote:Also, despite Wiggo's problem a lot of teams are riding or have ridden 9070 with no problems. There are many more problems with Sram and perhaps its not a groupset issue the rider is talking about- could be frames or wheels.

Evans too mentioned that there is some some gear they are using this year that is simply not finished and ready - and he said it commenting on Wiggins' Trentino bike toss. What equipment do BMC and Sky share?
Last edited by Fiery on Wed May 08, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

micky wrote:You mean like money?

No, opportunities. You read the article yesterday? Even before that it should have been apparent there are not enough GT's to cater for the talent Sky have on hand.

KWalker wrote:In addition, I've picked up in interviews that a lot of riders at one time or another got a bit dissatisfied with the AIS structure and setup and have no desire to return to it or any remnant thereof.

Any links? As not only have I never gotten that impression, they are totally separate entities. Which they have to be, as the AIS uses government funding, which cannot be used for a private set-up like Orica.

Porte's professional and certainly never said as much. All these musing and chatter come from behind the scenes. Again, being in Australia, a lot of people pinned their hopes on him signing for O-GE.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Perhaps they should have taken up a collection....

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

When you're competing against the best team in the world (in spite of my bias towards our first PT team, I can recognise Sky are a cut above the rest) and the only thing you might be able to directly match them on is money, then totally understand Richie re-signing.

anicomp568

by anicomp568

micky wrote:
Tinea Pedis wrote:Something has to give. 5 GC riders in one team.

Just ain't gunna fit.

You mean like money?

Too many children in one playground...
Shut Up Legs! (Jens Voigt)

wingguy

by wingguy

jt2gt wrote:In fact, let's just go ahead and shut this thread down cause it really isn't worth talking about since it doesn't make any difference what they use or how they use it. I get it now. :wink:

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. If you enjoy following every fashion trend and replicating every riding choice a pro makes down to the saddle bag and spare tube then have at it, meanwhile I'll ride my bike how it's comfortable and fun:wink:

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

Tinea Pedis wrote:

No, opportunities. You read the article yesterday? Even before that it should have been apparent there are not enough GT's to cater for the talent Sky have on hand.

KWalker wrote:In addition, I've picked up in interviews that a lot of riders at one time or another got a bit dissatisfied with the AIS structure and setup and have no desire to return to it or any remnant thereof.

Any links? As not only have I never gotten that impression, they are totally separate entities. Which they have to be, as the AIS uses government funding, which cannot be used for a private set-up like Orica.

Porte's professional and certainly never said as much. All these musing and chatter come from behind the scenes. Again, being in Australia, a lot of people pinned their hopes on him signing for O-GE.

Yes, I think this is also the case with cuddles, a lot of the Aussie fans, even those with limited cycling knowledge assume that Aussie cyclists automatically want to ride for an Aussie team without possibly knowing the feasibility behind it.
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

KWalker

by KWalker

Tinea Pedis wrote:

No links, but I remember Michael Matthews and Jack Bobridge both distinctly saying that's why he went to Rabobank and thought I remember both Graeme Brown and O'Grady saying something very similar. I'm not sure how I'd go about googling it, but I remember that being a big reason Bobridge went to Blanco. I know the AIS uses government funding, but they felt the structure was very similar and it was that that they did not care for.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

I remember reading somewhere that Bobridge left OGE as he felt 'too familiar' around the current team, management and general set up of OGE as he'd been associated with much of the management and team since he was a young track star, and as a result he wasn't pushing himsel to his limits, as he was too comfortable with the current environment. He felt that being in a new team and in a new environment out of his comfort zone would 'force' him to work harder.

As for the other blokes, I haven't heard anything.
IIRC, Bobro wasn't unhappy with the team at all, he just needed to be out of his familiar surroundings..

genesis692

by genesis692

Tinea Pedis wrote:Any links? As not only have I never gotten that impression, they are totally separate entities. Which they have to be, as the AIS uses government funding, which cannot be used for a private set-up like Orica.

What about the womens team, Orica-AIS?

Regardless of the whether there are links between OGE and the AIS, I think Porte made the right decision staying with Sky. I just can't see OGE assembling a team strong enough to have a proper run at GC in a big stage race (at least not with their current roster).

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

IMHO Porte has no reason to leave the team.
Well structured, regardless of what you choose to listen to in the media, very well funded and well staffed.
He's got it good where he is, he sees himself as part of a long term plan there, and he's obviously well thought of within the team, so why would he leave..?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

KWalker wrote:
No links, but I remember Michael Matthews and Jack Bobridge both distinctly saying that's why he went to Rabobank and thought I remember both Graeme Brown and O'Grady saying something very similar. I'm not sure how I'd go about googling it, but I remember that being a big reason Bobridge went to Blanco. I know the AIS uses government funding, but they felt the structure was very similar and it was that that they did not care for.

Nope, that's not at all why Jack left Orica.

And Mathews is now at Orica, so that is certainly not it. And probably why Google isn't turning up any results.

genesis692 - I've no idea how that is working.

MarkGiardini - precisely what I said above.

mentok

by mentok

OGE hasn't yet demonstrated that they have the strength or know-how on the team to support a GT contender, while SKY have shown repeatedly that they can do it. Sure, OGE have experienced riders like o'grady and plenty of young firepower to control a bunch, but they haven't actually done it in a grand tour yet. bit of a paradox...

If i were Porte and I wanted a GT win to my name i'd be sticking with SKY - maybe he can win a tour with OGE, but it's far more of a gamble. With SKY he knows he's making his attempt under optimum conditions. Surely it's no more complicated than that.

TP: i agree - i remember hearing quotes from people who should know that Richie was of no interest to OGE at their inception because had better development opportunities elsewhere (and i'm sure the sentiment went both ways) but that once OGE were matured somewhat he would be sought after as their GC contender. perhaps once he has won a tour with SKY (he should have a decent chance at the vuelta this year as many have speculated) he may be more willing to ride for a weaker team if there's more money on the table and he is given the opportunity to be 1st in the pecking order rather than 3rd or 4th as he is at SKY.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com