"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

micky

by micky

KWalker wrote:I know its an ages old debate, but having the WC be just 1 race makes no sense. They should bring back the World Cup and make that the world champion.

Yes they should bring back the World Cup but no, the winner shouldnt get the world champion jersey.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

nickl wrote:
Donkey wrote:One thing I don't understand, Froome isn't trying to be in contention for the Vuelta but is using it as training for nexr year's Tour.

I never heard Froome claim it was training? That's crazy - there's a whole off-season between now and then.

Seen it too on CN and it's not crazy, even if lots of sandbagging was involved. At the fitness level of a Grand Tour champion you need some meaningful training stimulus to progress. The body remembers all training, and not completing a three week race one season, you're missing out on such a stimulus that is near impossible to emulate in training.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

KWalker wrote:Then why do you race?

attempting to look fast and racing are not mutually exclusive bruh. Racing is merely one of the many platforms were one can show others how fast they look

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Valverde signs with Movistar till 2017.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I don't actually have a good response to this. I race because that's what everyone here does. I don't even particularly enjoy racing. I enjoy improving my skills and strength... but don't really care how that compares to the strength of others.

KWalker

by KWalker

nathanong87 wrote:

attempting to look fast and racing are not mutually exclusive bruh. Racing is merely one of the many platforms were one can show others how fast they look

So its a way to diversify one's Instagram and web photo portfolio? Got it.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

el condor

by el condor

I have the privilege to live close to the velodrome where the attempt will take place this coming Thursday at 19h00 Swiss time, but yesterday I read in a Swiss newspaper that Cancellara is upset about the whole attempt as -as he says, everything happened behind his back or in other words-without his knowing, I first thought maybe Voigt does it in a way also to get some useful information out of it for Canci should he ever attempt to break the record, so to hear that-being in the same team they do not share the preparation etc. I'm quite surprised, anyone got some more/inside information as to why???

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I've always liked Cancellara, but if the report is true, then it sounds like jealousy girly crap to me!!

spud

by spud

honestly, Jens may be a great guy but who expects him to set a record? Cancellara should look at this as data gathering that would benefit his own attempt later.

erty65

by erty65

spud wrote:honestly, Jens may be a great guy but who expects him to set a record? Cancellara should look at this as data gathering that would benefit his own attempt later.
This:
vs(49.7 km)
is possible for Voigt.

If it was up against this(56.375 km):
It would've been more difficult.

KWalker

by KWalker

It would be weird if the Fabian vs. Jens report is true. In the past Fabian has stated that he has worked on the equipment and whatnot with Trek and done a lot of prep work, but it sounded like his main source of hesitation was timing it with Worlds and racing.

I'm not surprised that Trek modified the Speed Concept- why bother making new molds for maybe 5 total bikes? It probably won't make that much of a difference anyways. Its more of a marketing play for Trek who can then say they have the fastest frame against the clock in any configuration and you can buy it at your local dealer.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

el condor

by el condor

Maybe it's because since the UCI decided to allow aero frames and bars-and not the classic steel bike configuration, it set Canci off as he wanted to compete against the likes off Merckx etc, which on the other hand made Trek upset after all they invested, so they put the time and energy spent into project Jens, as it's also a marketing thing.
Canci will retire in 2016, the way he talked doesn't make it clear when if at all he will go for the record.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Still waiting to see the track SSC on the UCI approved frame list.... ;)

whilgenberg

by whilgenberg

But if they were really pursuing the absolute hour record they would be up against this (91.556km);

But if unfaired is your thing, this other recumbent went 52.074km;

They have such a stigma for being fat old man bikes but they sure as hell have a lot of potential for speed. . .

ave

by ave

That is a surprisingly low average speed for the open recumbent. The closed one is very fast, and I wonder how much faster could it go with a Tony Martin in it. Would be nice to know the power data for that 91 km/h average.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com