"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I think (hope) he's going to have a great year in 2013.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

I don't know Prendfreu, do you think the likes of Grabsch, Steegmans, Maes, Fenn will will shield Cav. Velits and Martin aside.... They don't have the same ring as Eisel, Renshaw and Goss.. I would love him to dominate the sprints though don't get me wrong, what do you reckon?

pastronef

by pastronef

Roubaix cross world cup

they are riding the track the wrong way! :mrgreen:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/uci-cy ... tos/245036" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

KATIE F*CKEN COMPTON! Nice work :D

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Monkeyboy3333 wrote:I don't know Prendfreu, do you think the likes of Grabsch, Steegmans, Maes, Fenn will will shield Cav. Velits and Martin aside.... They don't have the same ring as Eisel, Renshaw and Goss.. I would love him to dominate the sprints though don't get me wrong, what do you reckon?

When Cav (or Chav) was starting off with High Road, later to become HTC/Columbia/etc:. there were similar question marks about Eisel/Renshaw/Goss in support.
Turned out well.

My point is that I don't think we can necessarily predict a failure or success with Grabsch/Steegmans/Maes/Fenn. We don't know.
What we do know is that OPQS is not a team oriented around GC contenders, as Sky is. This opens up opportunity for Cavendish to have a team in support of his sprint efforts even during a major stage race.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

Yep good point Prendfreu, I can't wait for the new season to roll in so we can find out!

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Oh baby!
Lemond to run for UCI presidency

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lemond- ... presidency
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Not sure if Lemond is the guy for that job, I think some of his ideas are a bit kooky at best.....but anything is better than Pat.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Lemond might not be bad if he gets a chief operating officer to keep the trains running on schedule and attend to actual management, while he provides top level direction/inspiration.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

This whole business with Contador not riding grand tours over points next year is really quite absurd. The current problems in pro cycling really do go much deeper than simply doping. What a f*cking disaster and a joke of a professional sport. I am no Bert fanboy but can you imagine Roger Federer not getting to play any grand slams next year?

An league of top tier of teams needs to be established as stable/credible franchises including development teams at lower levels. This current model of getting a sponsor(s) that allows you to throw together riders with enough collective points to hopefully get you into the grand tours is so amateur. Look at how other pro sports are run and pro cycling looks like a complete gong show. Team ownership should be desirable and be long term investments not just whimsical experiments for rich guys. Riders should have rights and should be unionized. Contracts should be longer than 2 years max... I could go on.

No doubt change is required at the top but I don't think that Lemond is the best guy for it. Actually, other than being a nice feel-good story at this point I don't know what value he brings. The doping issues are a part of larger issues of how the sport is arranged - the whole show needs to be overhauled and some with experience running a legit pro league is needed.

Ghost234

by Ghost234

Lemond is definite the guy with the right attitude towards the change, but I'm not sure if he has the discipline required (really bad ADD) to keep the organization running efficiently. But maybe he will surround himself with individuals who will keep the organization running properly while he directs the vision? If he were to do that, he would be an excellent individual for the job.

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

Sojasun will be riding BH Bikes next season. Shame, there was something special about a French team riding a French bike.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

petepeterson wrote:This whole business with Contador not riding grand tours over points next year is really quite absurd. The current problems in pro cycling really do go much deeper than simply doping. What a f*cking disaster and a joke of a professional sport. I am no Bert fanboy but can you imagine Roger Federer not getting to play any grand slams next year?

An league of top tier of teams needs to be established as stable/credible franchises including development teams at lower levels. This current model of getting a sponsor(s) that allows you to throw together riders with enough collective points to hopefully get you into the grand tours is so amateur. Look at how other pro sports are run and pro cycling looks like a complete gong show. Team ownership should be desirable and be long term investments not just whimsical experiments for rich guys. Riders should have rights and should be unionized. Contracts should be longer than 2 years max... I could go on.

No doubt change is required at the top but I don't think that Lemond is the best guy for it. Actually, other than being a nice feel-good story at this point I don't know what value he brings. The doping issues are a part of larger issues of how the sport is arranged - the whole show needs to be overhauled and some with experience running a legit pro league is needed.

very well said

only agenda Lemond might have is 'end doping', one can tell that reading his words on Dick Pound. while it (=doping) only touches the surface of problems in cycling, how would he even begin his work in that direction? call everyone in and tell them to stop? good luck with your (plausible) run mr. Lemond :popcorn:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

It actually sounds like Lemond just wants change to begin at the UCI...people are jumping the gun if they think Lemond believes he's the messiah...

Velonews:

LeMond admitted that he might not be the best candidate to replace McQuaid, who has been under pressure to explain how Armstrong managed to avoid detection for so long, amid allegations that the UCI accepted cash to cover up a positive test. But he said he was prepared to work hard to make the UCI “more democratic, more transparent and find the best candidate in the long term to lead” the organization.

artray

by artray

The UCI independent commission "The Commission will also investigate whether any persons previously convicted of doping, or voluntarily admitting to doping, or supporting riders in doping, should be able to work within the world of cycling in the future; and, if not, how such a prohibition could and should be enforced"

If thats the case there wont be many teams racing . Cav could win a grand tour . :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com