"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

aerozy wrote:Little bit dissapointed with Erik Zabel. He has always been very vocal about doping and being a sprinter he wouldnt have had as much to gain with doping as others. Just think of all of those classic monuments and grand tour stage races he won which are all now tarnished.
Newsflash from 2007. Zabel admits to using EPO in 1996.

In May 2007, http://velonews.competitor.com/2007/05/news/zabel-and-aldag-admit-to-doping-while-on-telekom_12310 wrote:One of the top cyclists of the past 15 years, Erik Zabel of Germany, admitted on Thursday that he had taken the banned blood-boosting drug erythropoietin (EPO) while competing for German team Telekom in 1996.

“I took EPO in 1996 but I stopped taking it after a week because of secondary effects,” a visibly emotional Zabel told a press conference. “It was my only experience with doping in my whole career.”
So Zabel did not admit (at least then) to doping in 1998.

Edit: boysa beat me to it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Would be interesting if they listed who was tested, but not positive or suspicious. Not that that would mean they were clean.

No Voigt?

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

some nice names on this list... and it's only from one, single race :!:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

maquisard

by maquisard

All the stage winners and classification winners listed here will have been tested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Tour_ ... leadership" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So yes, Voigt will have been tested, as will have Boardman et al.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

So no Christophe Rinero on the list. He finished 4th overall and won the polka, so should have been tested.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

tranquilo

by tranquilo

tymon_tm wrote:
KWalker wrote:Yesterday I was riding up a climb in Santa Barbara with a friend. We came across an older guy with no helmet riding with a small child that was on a Scott road bike killing it up this climb (maybe 5 or 6 years old). The man had a thick accent (French or Belgian). Upon closer inspection he was on the Rca with 9070. Said rider claimed to be a former pro for Cofidis and said he owns a bike factory (we think he said in France) that produced 1.5 million bikes last year.

Does anyone know who this guy could be?

1,5 million? maybe he owns Merida...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_bicycle_industry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or maybe he makes the bikes for Decathlon (international sports shop)?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

I don't understand the "sprinters don't benefit" school of thought. If the peloton is faster due to EPO then that sprinter has to be faster to keep up & beat them to the line? Zabel, Cippolini, Blijlevens & Moncassin are all sprinters.

ave

by ave

I think climbing the Poggio with a "little help" is always welcome. ;)

pastronef

by pastronef

why has the French Senate decided to publish the 1998 tests?
what's the point?

neevers1

by neevers1

MattSoutherden wrote:So no Christophe Rinero on the list. He finished 4th overall and won the polka, so should have been tested.

I read that only half of the 122 samples taken weren't too degraded to test.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

pastronef wrote:why has the French Senate decided to publish the 1998 tests?
what's the point?

It actually wasn't the point, but we (the cycling fan base) are making a really big deal of it. The French Senate were in fact investigating Doping In Sport (in France, specifically). As such, in part of their report on ALL sports in France, the investigated the blood testing of 1998. The Tour is in France.

Hence....

Anyway, read about it here: http://inrng.com/2013/07/the-french-senate-test/

For anyone who does in fact read a bit of French, I recommend you read some articles on the topic through non-sport news sources, or at least non-cycling news sources. It's been a fascinating process. Although it should be said that in a typical French government fashion: the report comes out, the press is upset that 'nothing of value was said' (to keep paraphrase what I've been reading), focus is mostly on the 1998 Tour since it's pretty fashionable to point at cycling, marijuana usage shows positives among footballers, and so forth.

:lol:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

tranquilo wrote:
tymon_tm wrote:
KWalker wrote:Yesterday I was riding up a climb in Santa Barbara with a friend. We came across an older guy with no helmet riding with a small child that was on a Scott road bike killing it up this climb (maybe 5 or 6 years old). The man had a thick accent (French or Belgian). Upon closer inspection he was on the Rca with 9070. Said rider claimed to be a former pro for Cofidis and said he owns a bike factory (we think he said in France) that produced 1.5 million bikes last year.

Does anyone know who this guy could be?

1,5 million? maybe he owns Merida...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_bicycle_industry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or maybe he makes the bikes for Decathlon (international sports shop)?

as i understand Decathlon has ~600 shops

1.500.000 / 600 = 2500

doesn't seem possible to me
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Just a thought on this factory owning person:

In French "mille" means thousand. Million is the same in English.
There may have been something lost in translation or misunderstood due to accent.
Mille can sound an awful lot like "million" to the ears of an English speaker listening to someone with a distinct/heavy accent, especially if I say something like "Mon usine construit 1 1/2 mille vélos par an" and in English we often verbally abbreviate "Million" as "mil." ... which sounds like mille

Just a possibility. ;)
KWalker knows for sure, but I'm just throwing the possibility out there. I was not there, obviously.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

cambrook

by cambrook

Stuart O'Grady admits to doping at 1998 Tour de France

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/c ... 6684674623

STUART O'Grady, one of Australia's most decorated road and track cyclists, last night confirmed he had taken illicit drugs while competing at the Tour de France.

One day after announcing he had retired after having led the Orica-GreenEdge team into Paris, having watched team-mates Simon Gerrans and Daryl Impey wear the yellow jersey, and winning the team time trial in Nice, the 39-year-old O'Grady was named by a French senate inquiry as one of 83 athletes to have returned positive or, in his case, "suspicious" blood readings from the 1998 Tour after having samples re-tested by the anti-doping authorities.

"I made a decision," he said. "I sourced it (EPO) myself, there was no else involved, it didn't involve the team in any way," O'Grady told News Corp journalist and Adelaide-based biographer, Reece Homfray.

"I just had to drive over the border and buy it at any pharmacy. The hardest part of all this is I did two weeks before the Tour de France."
A six-time Olympian and world champion on the track, O'Grady also revealed he had got rid of the doping product once police raided the Festina team's hotel during the race.

O'Grady, who has worn the yellow jersey and also finished runner-up in the green jersey multiple times, also confessed of his doping past to his parents, Brian and Faye, who were on the Champs Elysees in Paris on Sunday night to cheer home their son and the team.

"It wasn't systemic doping, I wasn't out to deceive people," he told Homfray.

"There is nothing more to hide, I have done everything since then on natural ability and when people ask: 'Why are you still racing?' I guess part of me deep down is to prove that you can do the Tour clean, win Olympic gold medals clean."

Among the riders found by the French senate anti-doping probe to have tested positive and in some cases more than once at the 1998 tour included the late Marco Pantani and Jan Ullrich.

Pantani and Ullrich finished first and second on the podium.

Pantani died of cocaine poisoning in 2004, while Ullrich has come forward and admitted his guilt.

This latest probe comes some eight months after the US Anti-Doping Authority found that seven-time winner Lance Armstrong had systemically doped throughout his career.

Tour de France organisers have since stripped Armstrong of his seven victories between 1999 and 2005.

The untitled O'Grady autobiography is slated to be in bookshops this November.

O'Grady declined to be interviewed when contacted by phone by The Australian, while neither Orica-GreenEdge team general manager Shayne Bannan nor media director Brian Nygaard returned phone calls.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pastronef

by pastronef

cambrook wrote: the 39-year-old O'Grady was named by a French senate inquiry as one of 83 athletes to have returned positive or, in his case, "suspicious" blood readings from the 1998 Tour after having samples re-tested by the anti-doping authorities.

I think he should have waited a few days more, he's on the list of the "suspicious". He should have waited, and see how the situation would develop