"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Agreed. Low class

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

Sky works super close with and has a multi million dollar deal with Gatorade, who develops custom nutrition mixes for each rider. I'm guessing he has a good idea of exactly what his intake should be and it should feel like?

Other teams have to step it up. Plain and simple. Be it training, nutrition, aerodynamics, logistics, etc. they simply have to do it.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

maquisard

by maquisard

Wow, Kwalks, that sounds like a page from the US Postal script.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

to try to get this back on track ...

cyclingnews article: Froome penalised 20 seconds for illegal feeding wrote:"At the end of the day a rule is a rule and if I’ve been given 20 seconds I’ll have to take that, but if you look at the technicality it was actually Richie Porte who fed from the car not myself. I fed from Richie Porte so maybe that’s something that needs to be taken in consideration," he <Froome> said.
Class Act!! So Froome orders his loyal servant Porte to illegally go back to the team car to get him food, and then bitches that only Porte should be penalized. That;s like a mob boss ordering a murder, and then saying that only the triggerman should be punished.

JackL

by JackL

Quintana's clear sunglasses? Anybody know?

DanW

by DanW

Wow, Kwalks, that sounds like a page from the US Postal script.

What would you prefer SKY to do? Not make the most of the various technical collaborations they have at their disposal to assist with racing to somehow prove no advantages by the old school methods (aka doping)?

SKY really can't win! *Unless of course they win the TDF :D

djconnel

by djconnel

First, I guess the rumor Contador had blown 6.8 kg were unfounded... or maybe we find out about it in November :).

On the feed: define "take a feed". If the feed came from a car and was handed from car to Porte to Froome, then it seems like Froome and Porte both took the feed. The feed was tainted.

On the other hand, had Porte had a bar in his pocket, which he handed to Froome, then got a fresh one from the car, then Froome shouldn't be penalized.

Next time Porte should take the feed then offer it to Contador....

KWalker

by KWalker

maquisard wrote:Wow, Kwalks, that sounds like a page from the US Postal script.

Or many successful sporting teams throughout history. Everyone loves the ragtag story, but in almost every sport there has been a time in which a country or team gains a foothold from details in coaching, technology, nutrition, training, teambuilding, and smart player selection. Sky has done every one of things better than any other team.

Postal did not.

Postal treated Lance better than anyone, his lieutenants on a rung below, and anyone else was left out to fend for themselves. Its well-documented that Lance often reserved the best equipment, training methods (including doping methods), and innovations solely for himself. After hearing inside stories about Sky, its nowhere near as unorganized and chaotic as postal was. Postal didn't select teams for the GTs and classics in December and give riders their race schedules accordingly. Postal didn't send all of these riders from each team to 4 specific training camps across the season. Postal didn't pay domestiques 6 figure salaries or find them houses in Nice and organize every single aspect of their training, nutrition, equipment, etc. from day 1.

Cycling is caught up in stupid traditions that are dying hard. I doubt any other team does any of the things that I mentioned above and definitely not all of them.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Rodriguez strong again, seems his quiet first two weeks might have been on purpose. Really hope he can make the podium to round out his career.

wingguy

by wingguy

prendrefeu wrote:Can you really blame a fan base for their skepticism after they've been burned for so many years? Really?

Blame for skepticism at good performances, no.

But I do blame people who use not going fast as evidence of doping as much as they use going fast as evidence of doping. That's just ridiculous.

russianbear

by russianbear

KWalker wrote:
maquisard wrote:Wow, Kwalks, that sounds like a page from the US Postal script.

Or many successful sporting teams throughout history. Everyone loves the ragtag story, but in almost every sport there has been a time in which a country or team gains a foothold from details in coaching, technology, nutrition, training, teambuilding, and smart player selection. Sky has done every one of things better than any other team.

Postal did not.

Postal treated Lance better than anyone, his lieutenants on a rung below, and anyone else was left out to fend for themselves. Its well-documented that Lance often reserved the best equipment, training methods (including doping methods), and innovations solely for himself. After hearing inside stories about Sky, its nowhere near as unorganized and chaotic as postal was. Postal didn't select teams for the GTs and classics in December and give riders their race schedules accordingly. Postal didn't send all of these riders from each team to 4 specific training camps across the season. Postal didn't pay domestiques 6 figure salaries or find them houses in Nice and organize every single aspect of their training, nutrition, equipment, etc. from day 1.

Cycling is caught up in stupid traditions that are dying hard. I doubt any other team does any of the things that I mentioned above and definitely not all of them.

I agree with this. I even remember Porte posting his TT day schedule from Paris Nice on twitter, it was typed up and laminated; it had the time and what he was suppose to do/eat at those times. I think Orica is a step below, but seem pretty well organized. Cyclingtips had a photogallery of their base in Varese and it seemed like a smoothly ran thing - might be a wrong impression. They just lack talented GC riders.

savechief

by savechief

djconnel wrote:On the feed: define "take a feed".

I have no idea what the actual rule states, but it seems as if the important part of the "feed" is the part where it actually may help you. You know, the part where you ingest the item in question. I could take 50 gel packs at an illegal time during a race, but unless I eat them, they're going to do nothing but slow me down.

I know, logic has no place in writing some cycling rules.
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Is this statement true? This would be the second time around up Alpe D"huez.

It took Contador 41:52 to climb Alpe d'Huez and he crossed the line two minutes down on Rodriguez and Quintana and a little over a minute behind Froome and Porte.

-cyclingnews
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

savechief wrote:
djconnel wrote:On the feed: define "take a feed".

I have no idea what the actual rule states, but it seems as if the important part of the "feed" is the part where it actually may help you. You know, the part where you ingest the item in question. I could take 50 gel packs at an illegal time during a race, but unless I eat them, they're going to do nothing but slow me down.

I know, logic has no place in writing some cycling rules.

Chris Froome (Team Sky) has been penalised 20 seconds by the Tour de France race judges after the stage to Alpe d'Huez for illegally taking an energy bar from the team car in the final kilometres of the stage.

Under UCI race rules, feeding from a team car is only allowed before the final part of a stage for road safety reasons. For the finish on Alpe d'Huez, feeding was banned six kilometres from the finish. However Froome became desperate about taking on some fuel in the final five kilometres of the climb, and ate some food that teammate Richie Porte had collected from the team car.

The Australian was also penalised 20 seconds according to an official race communiqué. Team Sky directeur sportif Nicolas Portal was also penalised. He was fined 1000 Swiss francs. Froome and Porte were fined 200 Swiss francs.

-cyclingnews
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree