"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

prendrefeu wrote:...

:up:

kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DanW

by DanW

Re: custom Osymetrics - if they had done that they would have course had to announce the commercial launch date of their new product, sometime within 9 months of their use in competition, before using them, in order to stay within the UCI rules.... ;)

I guess if that was the case then the pros and their teams will have to start giving up lots of their equipment! Custom layups on frames, custom geometry changes, etc, etc. I don't know what the rules are but I guess the "product" is out and available to the public and customisation is not an element of the "product". I can't recall the modifcation rules (which are different to the product needing to be available to the public rule) though... Isn't it something like "it must not compromise the safety of the product"????

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

liketoride wrote:...To work as hard as what i saw those guys doing you just cannot heal in time to go out and race another 114 miles in the hills...

We do not have the full power details for every rider for every stage but certainly those that have been released are within documented limits. If perhaps they were doing the same thing day after day for 20+ days there may be questions. But cycling is a unique sport, and it is very possible to have a cruisy day even in the middle of three week race.

Again, this neither proves or disproves the use of doping or PEDs.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

hasbeen

by hasbeen

oh man those welcome back Frank jerseys are hilarious! I gotta have one!
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

I'm digging the hairdos!
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

gravity

by gravity

Just checked out Oleg Tinkov's twitter. Gosh surprised is an understatement!

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Tinkoff is a businessman and a greasy one at that. He is not someone you want to watch your back in a battle.
I would shot him first before going into battle and I would have a better chance at coming out alive.
For all of you that are on Twitter the answer is simple: stop following assholes.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

DanW wrote:I guess if that was the case then the pros and their teams will have to start giving up lots of their equipment!

Equipment has to be as supplied by the manufacturer, no modifications allowed, and the manufacturer has to make it publicly available within 9 months of its use. No custom bike equipment for anything, unless you offer it for sale too.
With the rules as written..... :?

Of course you can sell one single item commercially, at any price you like and that meets the requirements.... :wink:

KB

by KB

Tapeworm wrote:
liketoride wrote:...To work as hard as what i saw those guys doing you just cannot heal in time to go out and race another 114 miles in the hills...

... But cycling is a unique sport, and it is very possible to have a cruisy day even in the middle of three week race. Again, this neither proves or disproves the use of doping or PEDs.

Tend to agree. Some years ago, they had live data from the HRM's on the Tour. On a flat stage through Les Landes, one of the Dutch guys (Servais Knaven I think), his HR was around 110bpm nearly all day. And the top pro's have phenomenal powers of recovery and that's what sets them apart from us mere mortals.

ayrej2

by ayrej2

Yep.. go have a look at Laurens ten Dam on Strava for the TdF. Some of the flat stages were basically recovery rides for him. This was avg 111bpm:

http://app.strava.com/activities/65873614

maquisard

by maquisard

Unless you were on Sky, Movistar, Belkin or OPQS, in which case there were very few if any rest days.

Quite a good article here : http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2012/06/ho ... rance.html

Horze

by Horze

boysa wrote:
Let's be clear... Clean or dirty, the champions all have one thing in common: they all work their tails off and they all know how to suffer on the bike.

Wait, that's two things.

Training and especially Working your tail off is the worst thing you want to do in any sport. After several formative years of development you reach a status-qua and maintain that form. After that you're flicking switches here or there.
If you were Armstrong you jammed the entire switchboard.

Frankly I didn't like to see the cruel mistreatment. Shows how easily they can give titles and take them way. Uncivilized.
Athletes got through the net, that's tough. That's net owner's fault.
7x Forum Racing Ban Champion.

Horze

by Horze

liketoride wrote:Tapeworm, i never responded to your post but i have trained with NFL players for over 5 years and i know it is a different elite athlete but it is still to scale. Humans after pushing hard break down muscle fibers which takes days to heal naturally. To work as hard as what i saw those guys doing you just cannot heal in time to go out and race another 114 miles in the hills. You talked about that guy running laps around me and i agree we are not in the same class but again it is all to scale. Those guys are riding with the best in the world, so they are pushing each other harder then they could train on there own. that is why practice is never the same speed as the game. I do not know if you really could be competitive in the TDF not aided by something, just to take on the work load that is put on the body over 22 days. why do you think it is so much apart of the sport? it is so they can heal, all the increase oxygen in the blood increases blood flow, which increases heal time.

Cycling is cyclic. You're not tearing yourself down every day. After reaching reasonable form you maintain and carry that over to the next stage and so on. After a heavy stage, chances are likely you can use the next stage as a recovery.

Even if you're "aided by something" it will have very specific function, usually operating high on physiology. But in my view if you haven't tested anything you can't know for certain what outcomes will be. No testing in stages, it's unreliable and has potential unwanted side-effects.
You can recover naturally with preparation Before and After 250km.
7x Forum Racing Ban Champion.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

If I remember correctly Osymetrics have made custom chainrings for ppl since day one.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

Froome is on standard O Sys rings- you can tell just by looking at the crank and shape of the rings.

O Sys hasn't made custom rings since the late 90's when they worked with Festina. It sucks actually, because the ideal orientation for them requires the right seat angle and joint alignment and if they could custom make them or use an adjustment pattern like Q-rings then chances are they could get a lot more customers.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike