"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

munk93

by munk93

Would have loved to see either Sagan, Nibali or Van Avermaet take this one. But what I don't get, is why Nibali start celebrating 50 meters before the line. I know we are only talking 1 or, with a bit of luck, 2 seconds. I think hes gonna need everything he can get his hands on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stefano

by Stefano

Class act by Nibbles.

I was looking through the footage from Saturday again today-- do you guys think it was at least partially the sprinter from Europcar's fault?? I mean Cav and Gerro were leaning on each other, but they didn't start to look like they were going down till the europcar rider smashed into Gerro's left side, sending him into Cav and into the ground.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Brilliant attack from Nibali, just as Sagan had been done with his little dig on the front. Nobody wanted to drag him back up to the front.

Vagabond

by Vagabond

Well done Vinnie! This tour took a turn for the boring for me yesterday. I was most excited about the Cav Versus Kittle back story. I couldn't care less which formulaic doper takes the overall. Hopefully we'll see exciting racing from the roleurs like today's stage.
Colnago e Campagnolo

53x12

by 53x12

"I was most excited about the Cav Versus Kittle back story."

Marcel Kittel already answered last year that he is the fastest sprinter in the world. Cav would only be going for the left over crumbs imo.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Antoine

by Antoine

Stefano wrote:Class act by Nibbles.

I was looking through the footage from Saturday again today-- do you guys think it was at least partially the sprinter from Europcar's fault?? I mean Cav and Gerro were leaning on each other, but they didn't start to look like they were going down till the europcar rider smashed into Gerro's left side, sending him into Cav and into the ground.

I don't think so :
https://twitter.com/dwuori/status/48545 ... 92/photo/1

wingguy

by wingguy

53x12 wrote:Marcel Kittel already answered last year that he is the fastest sprinter in the world. Cav would only be going for the left over crumbs imo.

That was last year, this is this year.

Froome demonstrated that he was the fastest GC guy last year - do you think Contador's contesting for crumbs this year?

53x12

by 53x12

http://youtu.be/LiZSrt1x6Wo

Denied. She must secretly be a Froome or Contador fan. ;)
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

KWalker

by KWalker

xnavalav8r wrote:
gravity wrote:
xnavalav8r wrote:I'm still trying to wrap my head around what makes a Tour winner and someone who cheated to get on the podium. Why do the media still refer to Riis as a former Tour winner yet refuse to acknowledge the placings of others who doped their way to the top step?

Was his 1996 Tour win stripped? Don't think so..

That's my point. He admitted to doping his way to victory, yet wasn't stripped, sanctioned, or otherwise negatively affected. I don't understand the double-standard.

This goes back to our comment about the statue of limitations, which applies under WADA and the UCI
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

KWalker

by KWalker

If you guys just complain about who you think is doping, why do you even watch pro cycling? I don't know of any other sport where people chide the athletes so much, yet still enjoy/watch it.

Nibali won't hold the jersey for very long I bet, and this will suck if his teammates now have to use a bunch of energy protecting it in the first week.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

53x12

by 53x12

wingguy wrote:That was last year, this is this year.

Froome demonstrated that he was the fastest GC guy last year - do you think Contador's contesting for crumbs this year?

My opinion still stands that Marcel is the better and faster sprinter and Cav would be racing for crumbs this year.

53x12

by 53x12

I agree. It might be best strategically for Nibali to let the yellow jersey go for now. No need to defend it this early in the race. Nice stage win on his part. But much racing is still left.

wingguy

by wingguy

53x12 wrote:My opinion still stands that Marcel is the better and faster sprinter and Cav would be racing for crumbs this year.

Faster this year? Maybe, maybe not - but it really is just, like, your opinion, man ( :wink: ) and unfortunately we won't get to find out this year.

As for better, let's talk about that when Kittel's got 40 grand tour stages :smartass:

motormouth

by motormouth

Cav is faster, but I like Kittel's hair more.

Nibali's first stage win in the TdF -- that's pretty awesome. I like the guy he just doesn't seem to race smart past year or two (maybe went suicidal?). I hope he really does have form.

God I can't WAIT to see who has legs this tour!

Imaking20

by Imaking20

@btompkins - boom!

@kwalkwer - on the money about curiosity of hating so much and yet still tuning in every day. That's bad for the sport IMO

Whether or not Nibali wins GC (which, admittedly, is extremely unlikely if he has to defend from day 3), his attack is exactly why I'm a ran. The dude throws down. I certainly prefer this to 2012 style TdF...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com