"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

gravity

by gravity

Oleg: Thinking about Fuglsang riding with me next year. What do you guys think? Oh camera?! Come on, look normal and smile guyssss!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

plpete

by plpete

Paolini looks a bit chunky there! What does he weigh? Maybe it's just the beard :lol:

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

Thanks SBS for the HD shot of Terpstras meat n potatoes!
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

KWalker

by KWalker

aerozy wrote:VAM is VAM http://www.oocities.org/mdetting/sports/cycling.html. If he's producing outrageous power numbers its almost irrelevant how long they've ridden before. You also have to take into account these guys have ridden for 3 weeks which makes it even more amazing and only comparable to the 90's.
When a rider dopes during training the benefits are observed long after. What is the point? Not saying Nibali has doped but his climbing is right up there with the "very best"

I know what VAM is- have you ever done a 20min climb while fresh or while tired? Its irrelevant to compare VAM from the two and be like "OK the cat 1 that climbed at 1600 VAM after 200km has the same w/kg as the cat 2 that climbed 1600 VAM after a 10km warmup, therefore, the cat 2 is doping because his time is similar". There are a lot of variables in the way they do the analysis, which I think they need greater control of before implicating that someone could or could not be doping. Rarely do I ever see them mention shifting wind speeds, for example in their analysis, which on some of the shallower gradients might matter more than others.

http://veloclinic.tumblr.com/post/92811418268/a-hell-of-a-race-that-almost-was This chart doesn't look all that fishy, both are riding well below w/kg of years past.

Nibali's climbing is up there, but a lot of other guys are climbing much faster this year than before as well. Also, you might notice that unlike years before Nibali is just riding at a hard pace off the front. No one is putting in massive attacks and he really isn't worried about anyone else actually putting time into him so he doesn't have to get frantic when they do. I wonder how different things would be if the other two were there. Again- go do a climb at about threshold and attack every 2min and then do it steadily and tell me which one has higher power and is easier. Usually its the steady power effort.

So either everyone is doping, Nibali lacks direct competition, or everyone is training better. A lot of the guys battling for the podium are also riding really well compared to the past.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

thechemist

by thechemist

interesting article at cyclingtips on the proconti team bikes. kemobikes, which I have never heard of, looks pretty legit.

"The KE-R8 is the top-end model and features a 100% monocoque construction. The frame has a claimed weight of roughly 760 grams and because a full build of the team bikes initially came in at 6.3kg Kemo beefed up the frames for the team so as to hit the UCI weight limit of 6.8kg."

KWalker

by KWalker

Really good quote from that article that better illustrates what I was struggle to say.:

"Another question – is the power output on climbs midway through the stage lower than it used to be? For instance, yesterday the peloton climbed the Tormalet over five minutes slower than they did in 1996, when Riis went on to win at Hautacam. That’s significant, and it would be interesting to analyse whether the performance on those climbs has changed, as one would hypothesize it has. It’s the athletics equivalent of the marathon world champion running the final 10km in 28 minutes (way faster than world record pace), but only because the first 32km were done much much slower."
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

ITTY

by ITTY

Very interesting article. Interesting analysis of the science behind what is required to produce those types of efforts. However, it is hard to account for all of the variability of physiology, and I think it depends on a lot more than just W/kg, VO2max, and efficiency.

Based on an increased number of riders struggling to get up the climbs this year, I'd say that overall, the peloton is probably cleaner. As mentioned in the article, it is hard to say for "stars" since they are riding the line of what is humanly possible.

That being said, talking about doping is a real drag.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

Rob81

by Rob81

I'd say it's a borderline performance, in general; in line with TdF2013 AND Giro 2013 but in this second case weather impact was an extra factor, among the usual many.
None can be accused of doping by association, but with antidoping being an almost complete failure (and only who makes very huge mistakes and/or wrong calculations get caught), biopassport which could probably be fooled...a performance "passport" to associate with the latter should be considered.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

@aerozy - I'm surprised to see you train with power and that's still your opinion. The lead up absolutely has an effect. I've seen some seriously impressive VAMs from a CAT 1 friend of mine in his build up to nationals - VAMs comparable to those seen in the Tour if we're removing context. But reality is that he likely couldn't survive the first stage or two.

pastronef

by pastronef

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2014/0 ... ition.html

the usual Boston Globe Tour de France pictures (part 1)

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

pastronef wrote:http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2014/07/tour_de_france_101st_edition.html

the usual Boston Globe Tour de France pictures (part 1)

this picture is awesome

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

and this one:

how many Polka-dot winners in the history of TdF were assigned for carrying bottles for their teammates :?:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

tymon_tm wrote:how many Polka-dot winners in the history of TdF were assigned for carrying bottles for their teammates :?:

Number 38 is Michael Rogers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rma

by rma

No needles policy?