"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

wasabi1

by wasabi1

Even a middle of the road female pro would be able to ride anyone on this forum of their wheel.

That's the bottom line.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wasabi1

by wasabi1

Also almost 1000 pages and 15000 posts!

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

wasabi1 wrote:Even a middle of the road female pro would be able to ride anyone on this forum of their wheel.

That's the bottom line.
Adam Hansen, a.k.a. WW board member "zakeen", is on this forum, although he hasn't posted for a while. I'm guessing that he could more than hold his own against top women professionals. You have clearly exaggerated in order to make a point. There are clearly several other professional and amateur riders who aren't too shabby on this board. Could I be beaten by a middle of the road female professional? Yes, but I am hardly in the top echelon of board members.

pdxmech13

by pdxmech13

stella-azzurra wrote:Trent don't sue us.

Love,
CyclingNews

I think he did and that was the outcome.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

6-7 years ago i'd trained on numerous occasions with pro female women that participated in international races. subjectively i was in great shape (although no racing for me) and those rides were pretty... relaxing.. or boring. if the weather was bad (like strong wind etc) i'd ride in front and still it wasn't very demanding.. nowadays chaps who are more in friends with female cyclists say it ain't that easy no more. despite women cycling being completely forgotten by media or major sponsors, they actually managed to improove like hell. the times of cruising behind gals and admiring ....ermm... landscape are probably long gone
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

wasabi1 wrote:Also almost 1000 pages and 15000 posts!

Speaking of which, should there be a new thread after this one hit's 1000 pages?
Perhaps a "PRO" Cycling Discussion part II?
It would make sense as it sort-of-coincides with the 2013 Road season starting off. Even though "Pro" covers more than just road, more than just men, and so on, the discussions are mostly centered around the Road season.

Thoughts?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

pdxmech13

by pdxmech13

+1

maggierose
Shop Owner

by maggierose

Boys, boys, boys. Some of you make US look like asses.

Here are the Olympic TT results:

1 Kristin Armstrong (USA) 37:34.82
2 Judith Arndt (GER) 37:50.29
3 Olga Zabelinskaya (RUS) 37:57.35
4 Linda Villumsen (NZL) 37:59.18
5 Clara Hughes (CAN) 38:28.96
6 Emma Pooley (GBR) 38:37.70
7 Amber Neben (USA) 38:45.17
8 Ellen van Dijk (NED) 38:53.68
9 Trixi Worrack (GER) 39:20.73
10 Lizzie Armitstead (GBR) 39:26.24

Armistead rode the 18 mile course at an average clip of about 27.37 mph for tenth place. Who here can go faster? If you could break into the top ten post your data and then talk shit. Until then...

aerozy

by aerozy

I dont get some of you. A vo2 max (5min) of 6.6W/kg puts Vos at the beginning of the mens "domestic pro" bracket. Is that bad? How many of you have a 5min better then hers? Geeez my best is only 6.2 and I thought that wasnt bad. I remember seeing some power values from the 2012 tour of california, a certain rider with an american national jersey was doing 10mins off the front of the peloton at 330watts (light rider). In my view with a 5min power like that Vos could at her best do well in a mens race.

An FTP of 6.5 is according to science of sport the maximum an un-doped human being could possibly reach. We are talking about guys like Wiggins, Froome, Contador at the height of their form. So hats off to Vos!
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

manne

by manne

Since this discussion is getting boring, and while we're at it.

Vos TCX :mrgreen:

wasabi1

by wasabi1

Is that vos'?

wasabi1

by wasabi1

Cancel that, didn't read properly.

erty65

by erty65

aerozy wrote:I dont get some of you. A vo2 max (5min) of 6.6W/kg puts Vos at the beginning of the mens "domestic pro" bracket. Is that bad? How many of you have a 5min better then hers? Geeez my best is only 6.2 and I thought that wasnt bad. I remember seeing some power values from the 2012 tour of california, a certain rider with an american national jersey was doing 10mins off the front of the peloton at 330watts (light rider). In my view with a 5min power like that Vos could at her best do well in a mens race.

An FTP of 6.5 is according to science of sport the maximum an un-doped human being could possibly reach. We are talking about guys like Wiggins, Froome, Contador at the height of their form. So hats off to Vos!
Are womens races as competitive as the mens, i.e. is it easier for a very talented rider like Vos to dominate the womens race, than an equally talented man to dominate mens races?

cerro

by cerro

Interesting but does it matter if women are slower then men? Take Tour of Qatar with attacking, people who tries and succeeded like Kirsten Wild. All in all 2,5h racing. Then the men with Mark Cavendish having a team to just keep the speed up and we miss the hole attacking part or a small group getting loose in the wind to fight about the win.

Was watching the womens world cup in Vårgårda 2010 from a car. Never seen better road racing. Riders where trying and exciting racing for sure. Marianne Vos did an impressive attack on last lap but didn't succeed.

So no matter about speed or if some thinks the level are low, awesome racing that doesn't lasts forever like long races for the men. Ronde van Vlaanderen for example where the women races the last part with cobble stone sections and don't race the more boring first part the men races.

SpoonMan

by SpoonMan

I don't know about the numbers in general - we all know there's more to riding and racing than just those numbers.

My beautiful wife got tested at the Tour Village for the TDU a couple of week ago, and put out a 5 sec wattage of 685 - winning for all women tested that day. She wasn't especially impressed (particularly as a 12 year old girl won the juniors with 788 :shock: ). But based on that chart, she'd be a cat 2 racer (she's 55 kgs). She is always one of the last of her group to get up a climb, and has never won a sprint in her life (mind you, she doesn't race either).
2011 Scott Addict R3 (DA groupset, Tune Skyline RR wheelset, Rotor 52/36 Q-Rings)
2008 Giant Trinity A1 (cheapass 50mm carbon clinchers)
No easy road goes anywhere worth going

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com