"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

maquisard

by maquisard

No need to quote above!

That is actually the way it is in many cycling federations. When I raced ( at amateur level obviously! ) I got my number at the start of the season and I used it in all my races. I also had to safely return it at the end of the season or I was charged for it!

Whilst this sounds like a good idea for the pro scene. In many stages races the number 1 historically goes to the last years winner. Furthermore not all riders ride all races further complicating matters.

I am sure a clothing company could think of a more innovative way of displaying race numbers on a jersey however. A mesh pocket on the back springs to mind or an interchangeable fabric patch that zips into the back of the jersey. Sportful innovated this year with the bottle vest, maybe they can innovate with race numbers as well.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

maquisard wrote:
Frolle wrote:Cycling is really old fashioned in a lot of matters. The pinning of paper numbers to the riders jersey is so out dated.

Why not do like in football where every team member plays with the same number printed on the jersey through the season.

Every team could just use numbers from 1 to ??.

No need to have unique numbers for every rider in a race. The team jersey are different. Just like in football.

That is actually the way it is in many cycling federations. When I raced ( at amateur level obviously! ) I got my number at the start of the season and I used it in all my races. I also had to safely return it at the end of the season or I was charged for it!

"many cycling federations"

I have never seen that in France in FFC or Ufolep :oops:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

Okay, well Cycling Ireland!

ave

by ave

>Why not do like in football where every team member plays with the same number printed on the jersey through the season.

Perhaps because there are more than a thousand cyclist who can take part in a race. (around 18*30 WT riders, 12*20 pro conti, 108*10 conti riders in a European race) So four digits. Also, team mates would range from 51-81 (example) for current WT teams. Do you give 82-> numbers to the next team?

A possible compromise would be that they could use two numbers, one to designate the team, one the rider.

Also don't forget, that the dossards are "sponsored" today.

Frolle

by Frolle

As I mentioned, the team jerseys are different. There is no need to have unique numbers. All the teams can have numbers starting with number 1. No need for four digit numbers to specify the team. The jersey does that.

At least professional teams could do this without any problem.

ave

by ave

So, race radio have to use "Le franchaise des Jeux 28" to designate a single rider instead of a single number?
Don't create new problems while solving non existing problems.

maquisard

by maquisard

My thoughts exactly, imagine what an unintelligible mess the results sheets would look like!

AGW

by AGW

It would simply be "rider 28", since there'd be no other 28 all season long.

planB

by planB

They should at least glue the numbers on. I use some kind of 3M spray glue. It takes just a moment, doesn't flap around, stays on while racing yet pulls off easily enough later and barely leaves a residue.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

^this

you just found a great solution to a non-existing problem :thumbup:

is there any racing/doping going on this weekend?
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

djconnel

by djconnel

Goofing around:

AGW

by AGW

Brilliant! And each rider can have their UCI number patterned after a lotto ball.

maquisard

by maquisard

Once again back to the all important subject of race numbers. Strictly speaking Alex Dowsett should be disqualified from Elite Men's Time Trial in the British Empire Sports Day 2014 ( oops, I mean Commonweath Games ) as he cut/defaced his race number! I'm sure a UCI commissaire will do the right thing...

mjduct

by mjduct

Enough fashion talk... Anybody get in on the crowd funding for the soon to be former specialized-lulu lemon women's team?
http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/07/ ... ign_339151

I think this deserves 10 times the money some of these other goofy crowd sources iphone integrated commuter bikes we've seen recently...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ave

by ave

Most of the dossards are self adhesive, I think. Even I had sticky backed race numbers in a few races. But they do not hold the numbers well enough by themselves.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com