"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Fiery wrote:I find it ignorant and disrespectful to automatically dismiss something just because one doesn't understand or personally like it.

This isn't about disrespect or dislike. I'm not even criticizing. I simply find it amazing that a guy the exact same size as me, professionally fitted to ride a 56cm frame with a 120mm stem, would "choose" to ride a 50 or 51 necessitating a 130mm (or longer) stem. To each their own.

Geoff

by Geoff

It goes both ways, I guess. I can't believe that someone that size can ride a bike with a 160mm headtube, but there are lots of guys that do...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

roselend
Shop Wrench

by roselend

A low position being 'poor-fitting' or uncomfortable is a myth.

Negative side effects of a too upright position quoted from http://www.bikepro.com.au/bike-fit-myth-debunking
Really, If you have some spare time read this article. It's a very refreshing take on bike fitting and has helped me a lot with fitting clients.

1. It transfers most of your upper body weight from your load bearing arms, to your pelvis-spine complex, which induces lumber spine injuries and saddle soreness.

2. Some weight shifts to your feet, as your pelvis-spine complex seeks extra support. Your feet then applies downforce onto the pedals during the upstroke, an undesirable after effect.

3. Your upper body and arms need to work much harder to counter the extra pedaling up thrust when in high loads.

4. With spinal flexion, the geometry of the psoas causes the front rib cage to compress, as there are vital internal organs, the restriction of the abdomen against the thighs limits the movement of the diaphragm, leaving the persons breathing restricted.

5. The lower back extensor muscles (psoas antogonist) strains to counter the spinal flexion, which eventually induces back pain and injuries.

6. This causes your body to be supported by 1 static point (saddle) and 2 dynamic points (feet) instead of 3 static points. (saddle and two hands). As the points are not static, this causes the upper body to need to make constant adjustments to keep balanced, wasting energy.

7. Without both hands to support the upper body, the spine deals with bending moment, shear stress and torsional stress simultaneously

8. The position which allows your body to remove weight from the handlebars, is the setback position, this creates another 20 unintentional consequences.

munk93

by munk93

xnavalav8r wrote:I simply find it amazing that a guy the exact same size as me, professionally fitted to ride a 56cm frame with a 120mm stem, would "choose" to ride a 50 or 51 necessitating a 130mm (or longer) stem. To each their own.

BMC has some really weird geo's. :wink:

deltree

by deltree

Yep, that 50cm frame that most of their riders use has a 535mm top tube.

KWalker

by KWalker

And you're not the age, fitness level, or flexibility level of a pro either.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Wingnut wrote:
Tapeworm wrote:And as mentioned above, probably not wise to publicly eschew a power meter when your sponsor is marketing their new...wait for it... power meter. Not very professional.

I think you read more into this than what was really in the article...

Martin didn't trash his sponsor or the product so not so big an issue, he just stated he doesn't have the power of fellow racers so has to use his brain & instincts to be efficient, I'm sure he uses his sponsors products at times...it's refreshing to see an opinion that differs from many in the peloton these days, maybe that's why Thomas Voeckler is popular? So you question his intelligence because he can read a race, train well and win without devices?

I'll just wait for the third sigh shall I...

I know precisely how my team management would react if I made comments like Martin's and in the context of my major sponsor just releasing a product that I've gone on to say I have no use for.

Even if he's not a user of it, he could have worded it a lot better. But then the media training these guys have is pretty minimal, so...

KWalker

by KWalker

The smart way to say it: "I don't use a power meter...... but I have one on my bike because its useful for the team doctors and coaches and the new Vector pedals barely weigh anything so I don't even notice its there."
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

gravity

by gravity

Live press conference can be streamed live here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63HAhYAUptA

What's in the boxxx??

AGW

by AGW

Tinkoff-Saxo - "long-term stability"... lol

gravity

by gravity

Oleg looks like he could use a drink or two..

deltree

by deltree

:shock: How often do you replace that? Got a build thread?

Edit: D'oh. Just realised what thread I'm in and the fact it's got a NFTO topcap.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

duel weilding garmin mounts. Stem so long. wyked

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

The stem length thing really seems to have become a proper p!ssing contest
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend