"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

stella-azzurra wrote:Is this statement true? This would be the second time around up Alpe D"huez.

It took Contador 41:52 to climb Alpe d'Huez and he crossed the line two minutes down on Rodriguez and Quintana and a little over a minute behind Froome and Porte.

-cyclingnews

Froome rode just about 40.56, so that doesn't seem far off with Contador losing about a minute on the climb.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Even though they are having fun and getting in the spirit of the day, if I was in the pelaton, there is no way I would take anything off a fan on the side of the road, who knows what the F*ck could be in that bottle/cup? Tacks on the road, piss in a bottle, punch in the guts, what's next? LSD, ecstacy, cocaine, testosterone, PEDs in a bottle - then bang! fail a test or die even. The public are getting more amilicious as time goes on it's just too damn risky!
Last edited by dereksmalls on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djconnel

by djconnel

From Twitter:

Alpe d'Huez (13.8 km, 8.11 %):
Quintana: 39:50
Rodriguez: 39:53
Porte, Froome: 40:56
Valverde: 41:00
Nieve, Fuglsang, Contador: 41:53

Quintana 39:50 Alp d'Huez in #TDF today. VAM 1686 m/h, Dr F ± 6.00 W/kg. That's good for 37th all-time. More later (via @ammattipyoraily)

Alpe d'Huez (13.80 km, 8.11 %):2008 | Chris Froome: 51 min 13 sec. 2013 | Chris Froome: 40 min 56 sec.

Alpe d'Huez (13.80 km, 8.11 %). Chris Froome ["67 kg]: 40:56. DrF: 5.84 W/kg, CPL: 5.87 W/kg. BCR: 5.94 W/kg. rst: 5.96 W/kg.

Alpe d'Huez (13.80 kkm, 8.11 %, 1119 m). Andrew Talansky: 42 min 27 sec, 19.51 Kph, VAM 1582 m/h, 5.63 W/kg [DrF]

etc....

Routier

by Routier

JackL wrote:Quintana's clear sunglasses? Anybody know?

Adidas

djconnel

by djconnel

Top times listed on Wikipedia

"The Look" = 38:01 would have made Quintana look silly.

DanW

by DanW

Funny also that Riis would have beaten everyone in his day too ;)

Clubagreenie

by Clubagreenie

Liggero wrote:Nobody dopes (LOL).

I´m extremely happy to see how TJ Van Garderen loses the stage in the final kilometers. I´m always happy when an american loose. TJ is so overated.

This is a fairly insipid statement, race and culture should be left aside and the only race and culture discussed being the Tour and the culture of France .. which so many happily soak up.
If you choose not to like someone , that is fine , but you dislike that person ....WTF has their country of origin, colour of their skin , accent , got to do with it?
2012 KUOTA KOM Team Edition Campag SR11 .....My mistress
2012 RIDLEY HELIUM being built up ....

Ghost234

by Ghost234

Those are wicked fast times up the climb... those push the records for the fastest "clean" times ever. Looking at the wiki times and the names without any doping convictions:

Iban Mayo - 39:06 - 2003
Jose Azevedo - 39:21 - 2004
Miguel Indurian - 39:28 - 1995
Carlos Sastre - 39:31 - 2008
Giani Bungo 39:44 - 1991
Miguel Indurian - 39:45 - 1991

Was there a tailwind?

milroy

by milroy

dereksmalls wrote:Even though they are having fun and getting in the spirit of the day, if I was in the pelaton, there is no way I would take anything off a fan on the side of the road, who knows what the F*ck could be in that bottle/cup? Tacks on the road, piss in a bottle, punch in the guts, what's next? LSD, ecstacy, cocaine, testosterone, PEDs in a bottle - then bang! fail a test or die even. The public are getting more amilicious as time goes on it's just too damn risky!

They should have copped a fine and 20 sec penalty for an illegal feed.

kbbpll

by kbbpll

Just watching the replay, and on the first Alpe d'Huez climb, at 61.6km to go, Voigt looks down, reaches over, and pulls a plastic bag or some other crap out of Riblon's rear brake. The aero and weight difference insured the victory. Plus, pretty classy.

(Experts - how can I capture this from the video as one of these animated picture thingies?)

elviento

by elviento

Instead Postal paid 7-figure...

KWalker wrote: ... Postal didn't pay domestiques 6 figure salaries...
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

kbbpll

by kbbpll

The 20 second feeding penalty reminds me of the UK bank money laundering penalties. Surely Froome gained more than 20 seconds from being saved from calorie crash? If the rule is supposed to serve a purpose, the penalty shouldn't be set at a level that encourages strategizing. Froome is on the radio discussing it beforehand, I think. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth, as we say.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Theoretically, if he did Bonk (which, it looked like he was really close to bonking at the time), he would have lost several minutes. It's rare that a pro rider would bonk in a race, but it has happened in the past. This isn't the only instance in which Froome needed nutrition towards the end of a race/stage, which makes me wonder: does he just forget to eat, all drawn up in the heat of the battle? Or maybe his metabolism is super high and he has an exceptional rate of conversion to ridiculously high power outputs, so he needs to fuel more often? Or does he have poor on-the-bike nutritional habits regardless?

(No, you super passionate Froome supporters: the above statement was not intended in any way to dismiss Froome's capabilities. Relax.)

But, anyway, he did not bonk, he did fuel, he did get penalized, he probably will stand on the top podium spot in Paris, he probably will be the most dominant cyclist the world has ever seen (depending on who you ask), his performance abilities should never be questioned - it is sanctimonious!! (depending on who you ask), and the world continues to rotate on axis as it orbits our local star. The sun will continue to rise from the Easterly direction and set towards the West, today will soon be history.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

Well, Team Sky is all about marginal gains. I have a hard time believing that he actually was close to bonking. If they are as professional as they seem, they instruct their riders to eat and drink all the time, in a certain time scheduele. Contador had cracked, Quintana and Rodriquez were of no threat to Froome. He could easily pretend to bonk, get a 20 second penalty, and seem more human. Even Rodriquez said after the stage that it looked like Froome was human.

I call PR stunt.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

ayrej2

by ayrej2

I think I recall in one of the interviews afterwards either Froome or Porte saying they'd had a problem with one of their team cars, so hadn't been able to get supplies earlier. Whether that's true or not I don't know, but if it was I can imagine you'd try and get through the stage on what you had until it became obvious a hunger flat was on the way.

However, I think inrng.com summed it up best with:

"...Sure it’s illegal but for all those railing against Sky’s tactics, all the other teams do it:

if you’ve seen a mechanic leaning out of the window to fix a rider’s bike on the move, that’s illegal
if you’ve seen riders being paced back to the bunch by a team car, that’s illegal
if you’ve seen a rider getting a “sticky bottle”, that’s illegal"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com