"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

pastronef

by pastronef

California: are UHC and Belkin wearing those different Bell aero helmets, because the ones they wear in Europe are not USA omologated?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

milroy

by milroy

A couple of days late but a nasty perspective of the Garmin Sharp TTT crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyvCMG2qzWM

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Lampre Merida not running the rotor power meter any more. Instead opting for a P2M on a rotor chassis.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

And Cav wins by the narrowest of margins at ToC

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Curious...Adam Hansen still riding 22mm tyres...are the sheep on here going to follow him back from 25mm tyres like they did with narrow handlebars?

ave

by ave

Kittel was soo much faster than the others... That was amazing!

mentok

by mentok

milroy wrote:A couple of days late but a nasty perspective of the Garmin Sharp TTT crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyvCMG2qzWM

i wouldn't have thought it was shorts weather in belfast, even this time of year, but there you go.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Re: Hansen on 22s

Don't forget he's also one of the few still on narrow wheels (Boras are 20-21mm wide) and wheel/tire interface means a lot to aero. A wider tire on that rim would just slow it down even more...

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

And since when has Hansen been a sprinter? :/
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

KWalker

by KWalker

Ultyguy is right- the wheel/tire interface is more important than actual tire width. The lightbulb effect is worse than you'd think. I doubt he chooses his tire width anyways.

Also, most riders are only running 25s on the rear where this matters less due to air turbulence. Wider does not mean more aero nor does it necessarily even mean less crr, but its definitely a bit more comfortable.

As for the narrow bar comment don't knock it until you try it. A lot of pros are still on narrow bars and everyone I know that has sized down has loved it. Some cycling myths need to die a fast death and wide bars providing any sort of advantage is one of them. I'm excited to try 38s.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Geoff

by Geoff

That is a 22 on the front, which will be fine. The depth of the Campagnolo rim bed may also allow a 22 on the rear without the risk of pinch-flats. I still think that the 22 handles better up front.

ave

by ave

As for his Hansen's narrow handlebars - it was clear on a hilltop finish in Turkey(?) that his bike was quite nervy compared to the others'.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

ave wrote:As for his Hansen's narrow handlebars - it was clear on a hilltop finish in Turkey(?) that his bike was quite nervy compared to the others'.

i was just about to add this to the thread. He looked huge on that bike climbing out of saddle on hoods. Pros can do whatever Pros want, but that's all im saying. It looked* like he was riding narrow bars lol.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Sastre used to vary his bar width depending on stage profile.

If you're in the wind most of the time, I can def understand the narrow bars. From a fitting perspective as well, you can get a lower front end with narrower bars as it actually raises your chest a bit. However, I would find it hard to generate much leverage through the bar if it was narrower than my shoulders (still have no ligaments in my right shoulder after seperating it years ago).

KWalker

by KWalker

Tell that to the track sprinters riding 34s and 36s.

Coming from a weightlifting background, wider often reduces leverage. Go do a wide grip row and move your hands in 1cm and do more sets. Narrower group is almost always the strongest.

On a road bike your elbows are not fixed. They can flare in/out to adjust to shoulder torque/pressure. There really is no general reason to run wide bars. I have abysmal rotator cuffs/shoulder issues from years of weightlifting and ride a 40 at 6 feet 2 just fine.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com