"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

pastronef

by pastronef

someone asked about a bottle Wiggo was holding at the Giro

here it is
https://twitter.com/DarioCataldo/status ... 96/photo/1

KWalker

by KWalker

Jeukendrup and Gatorade have apparently designed a series of custom drink mixes depending on temperature, concentration, etc. Pretty ridiculous considering that many teams are lucky to get frames that actually fit right.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Thanks pastronef!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

SalsaLover wrote:
ave wrote:I liked the Mapei cubes as well, but I can't recall them by year date.
Which was the 2002 version? Mapei-? any pic links?

this one :thumbup:

Classic Cuddles!
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Slight change of gears here; do any pros use the Zipp Vuka Sprint bars?
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

LouisN

by LouisN

Was this discussed earlier ... :noidea: ?

http://m.cyclingnews.com/news/mpcc-temp ... r#previous

Louis :)

russianbear

by russianbear

SalsaLover wrote:
this one :thumbup:

I'd just like to point out these CORRECT length bibs, why are they all so long nowadays jeez.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

To cover up needle tracks...

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

breaking news: Bradley Wiggins admits...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins ... tour-again

... 8) for THAT confession we have to wait just a lil bit more

as for his current situation - fans say he's got nothing to prove at this point. others point out his remarkable 2012 season (compared to previous and present year), and some gossip he's afraid to dope any longer hence his 'lack of motivation', 'misunderstanings within SKY' and 'health issues'. as there's no solid evidence supporting any of those claims, i guess we've no other option but to put Wiggo in the 'one timers' bracket, along Landis (dope), Evans, Sastre (although those two had been some solid contenders for a few years), Pereiro (currently a retired ...football player) and Schleck (who clearly lost his...uhm..brother). the only cyclist capable of repeating his triumph is Contador (dope). i feel i lack too much knowledge here in order to draw any conclusions, but i wonder - what the heck happened to the cyclists' career/performance cycle - aren't they supposed to peak for a bit longer than one-two seasons?
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

It sounds like he is preparing himself, and the world, for an early retirement. Which might be a smart thing. Go out while still on top. But don't come back. Every athlete who tries a comeback seems to fail spectacularly... Michael Jordan and Lance Armstrong come to mind.

wingguy

by wingguy

tymon_tm wrote:i feel i lack too much knowledge here in order to draw any conclusions, but i wonder - what the heck happened to the cyclists' career/performance cycle - aren't they supposed to peak for a bit longer than one-two seasons?

Wiggins won his first world title (of 6) in 2003 when he was 23, and won the TDF and 4th Olympic gold (medalling at 4 consecutive Olympics) in 2012 when he was 32.

How many peak years do you want?

KB

by KB

It's no surprise to me. Seeing him bottle it on that descent in the Giro spoke volumes to me about where his head was. I don't think he's got it anymore. This is not a criticism of him, it just suggests the reality. And last year was like winning the lottery. He couldn't have chosen a better set of circumstances.

wingguy

by wingguy

xnavalav8r wrote: Every athlete who tries a comeback seems to fail spectacularly... Michael Jordan and Lance Armstrong come to mind.

On the other hand, some sporting combacks turn out brilliantly. Michael Jordan comes to mind :wink:

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

really glad greg lemond gets recognized for this comeback
http://archive.mensjournal.com/comebacks/10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

KWalker wrote:
ultyguy wrote:Purito's Tour problem? No time bonus.

He picked up valuable time in both the Giro and Vuelta with those. Also, as mentioned, he's not a long climb guy. Ryder actually out rode him in the Giro on the long ones, even the long steep ones.

Which long ones did he outride him in? I don't recall that happening on the Stelvio, but I can't seem to find a comprehensive list of stage finishes for the key stages so I could be forgetting something.

Stage 14- Cervinia
Stage 19- Alpe di Pampeago

But yes, you're right on Stelvio.