"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KB

by KB

Antoine wrote:this promising kid is the grandson of R.Poulidor

And if he's as durable as Pou-pou he'll have a very long career as well. Just hope he has more luck.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

As a Brit I was disgusted by the GB team, it rains and they bin it off. Yet the boys from the 'warmer' climes get the bit between their teeth and labour on. Gutted for Purito. There were some good odds on Costa prior to the race, should have had a punt.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

I think DJ might be closer to accepting he was a little rough on Gerrans :lol:

I admit the thought occurred to me. :)

Perhaps there was an ever-so-small bias in favor of it haven been Cancellara as opposed to Nibali.... Perhaps.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

maquisard wrote:It is a lot, lot easier to ( accurately ) estimate climbing power with some high-school physics equations...

Only if your equations include all the variables.

...and you don't assume constants for things you're plucking out of your a55

...and you're not talkin' fuggin' nonsense.

:evil:
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

maquisard

by maquisard

It is very easy to come up with a model that does. If there are other sources of error like a rough road surface or wind then the model will have larger associated error, in general the model mostly under estimating the power. But to dismiss it completely is pure blinkered ignorance.

Furthermore anyone with a power meter, a climb and their training data can easily investigate the validity of a model.

Can you do the same for blood doping and bio-passport validation? Nope.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Yes, I'm more than aware of the equations. The problem is their application, not their validity.

The key one, as you touched on, is understanding where your sources of error are, how this affects your results. and even more importantly, how you report this in your conclusions.

I was passing no comment on the analysis of the bio-passport data.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

petepeterson

by petepeterson

KW - What is it that was convincing about the armchair blood analysis? Is horner dumb enough to put it up if some guy with no expertise can legitimately interpret suspect values?

I'd say there's a bit more smoke coming from JTL at the moment when you start connecting the dots. Gives new meaning for 'training by feel'!

KWalker

by KWalker

I never said anything was convincing about it. I posted it as a topic of discussion really. I'm waiting for the experts to chime in, but I think initially looking at it it seems very, very suspicious.

My guess is the JTL thing comes and goes. They conclude there is not enough data before he joined Sky to prove anything. That's my guess at least.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

jmilliron

by jmilliron

nathanong87 wrote:i'll make uran's tonight

2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

pastronef

by pastronef

what are the odds to see Bretagne-Schuller invited to the Tour de France 2014?

with 17 WT team, there are 5 wild cards

IAM
Cofidis
Europcar

Net-App?
Qhubeka?
Bretagne-Schuller?

_SJ_

by _SJ_

ultyguy wrote:Froome definitely ain't no knight.

I know, I was talking of the other Chris - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Boardman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . He said while commenting on BBC that conditions did not favour Team GB or similar [nonsense]. Won't be long for Froomie to be knighted after this year's Tour. And he's Kenyan anyway :)

I'm well chuffed for our Andrei Grivko, finishing 5th in the Worlds race in these conditions is a very good result. Just for the record, he's from Simferopol in Crimea, the weather there for 10 months in a year is dry and sunny :)

Antoine

by Antoine

pastronef wrote:what are the odds to see Bretagne-Schuller invited to the Tour de France 2014?

with 17 WT team, there are 5 wild cards

IAM
Cofidis
Europcar

Net-App?
Qhubeka?
Bretagne-Schuller?

Why not if they recrute several good riders left by Sojasun or others teams and have good results early 2014 ?

Qhubeka has a good chance too if they get decent results , first african team riding the TDF would get much attention from the press.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

SJ- ah missed that :-) yeah, nice little result from Grivko!

KB

by KB

_SJ_ wrote:Chris Boardman - He said while commenting on BBC that conditions did not favour Team GB or similar [nonsense].

Ah, the irony. When Tom Simpson won the Worlds in San Sebastian in 1965, it poured down with rain all day. What a feeble excuse.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Yeah, but amphetamines warm the core more than EPO does...