"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

djm

by djm

Hehe... apologies! ;-)

"poorer inhabitants of the rural districts...men who work in the field, as a matter of course, generally have their skin stained red and burnt by the sun, and especially is this true of the back of their necks"

He is full of freckles.. I'd imagine he could potentially get a pretty red neck.. that aside 'redneck' may perhaps be a little derogatory, not intended that way by me :-) He enjoys my full respect.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

WOW !

HornerRAG this cannot beeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! :lol:

General classification after stage 10 Result
1 Christopher Horner (USA) RadioShack Leopard 40:29:14
2 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:43
3 Nicolas Roche (Irl) Team Saxo-Tinkoff 0:00:53
4 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Movistar Team 0:01:02
5 Joaquim Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Katusha 0:01:40
6 Daniel Moreno Fernandez (Spa) Katusha 0:02:04
7 Ivan Basso (Ita) Cannondale Pro Cycling 0:02:20
8 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ 0:03:11
9 Rafal Majka (Pol) Team Saxo-Tinkoff 0:03:16
10 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:03:28

lastplacerider1 day ago
It's a good day for senior citizens. :beerchug:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

Where are people getting Horner's power numbers from the Vuelta from?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

jmilliron

by jmilliron

prendrefeu wrote:
That said, Wikipedia lists him at 5'11" (1.80m). :shock:

He struck me as being a lot shorter than that when I saw him at ToC a few years ago.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

Kwalker SRM has been posting them :)

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

prendrefeu wrote:HA!
Horner isn't a redneck, that's for sure. Oregon man, yes. Redneck, no. Not even close.

His nickname is "The Redneck" given to him by Levi and Lance.....

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Christopher Lee "Chris" Horner
Born: October 23, 1971 (age 41), Okinawa Prefecture, Japan
Weight: 141 lbs (64 kg)
Height: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

aaric

by aaric

http://www.usacycling.org/chris-horner.htm profile lists him at 6'. lol. I remember standing next to him at the end of a ToC stage, and there's no way he's 5'10".

ToC podium - pretty sure standing on the ground.

Levi 5'6". Horner in the middle. Tom D at 5'10" ish. (I've stood next to both of them @levi's granfondo, and those heights are within reason)

I'd call Horner 5'9" on a good day.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I like Chris Horner... as both a racer and a person. I don't know him well, but I've had the chance to spend some time with him socially and he impresses me as a really great guy who loves riding his bike.

I can't think of too many successful pros from the last 20 years whose names have not come up in the rumor mill of doping. But, to my knowledge, Horner has never been accused or implicated in any doping scandal. He seems to be the only of the PostalChannelStanaShack guys who wasn't busted (or admitted to) doping.

That said, I understand people being skeptical. But as a 42 year old guy, I am in far better shape than I was half my lifetime ago. I am wiser. I train more intelligently. I eat better. I understand recovery. And I know my body. I get the impression Horner is much the same. He knows what works for him and is in a unique position to follow his own plan.

I'm sure it helps that the dopers of his generation are pretty much gone from the peloton, along with the dopers of the generation that came after. I think his success is more of an indication that the field is riding cleaner than any suggestion that he is riding dirty.

Seriously, I will happily challenge any of you young doubters to a mano-a-mano torture test in the high mountains when I return to the real world. I may not win, but I'm pretty sure I can hold my own against all but the Cat 1s and pros among this audience. Some things get better with age. Horner is a great example. He's nearing the end of his career, with nothing to lose, and doing so with the exuberance of a kid. We should all be applauding him. I am!

As an aside, I am 5'10" or 178cm. Chris is a bit taller, though I was not standing straight in this photo.

DanW

by DanW

For some reason I had assumed Horner was included in the "clean slate for LA investigation information and 6 month off-season ban " saga but it seems there is nothing to suggest Horner has a dodgy past (or present) besides the info in KW's and other's posts. If suspicions are correct then a cynical mind might say he didn't want the off-season ban and negative association with doping like Levi et al as he still wanted to race this season more than some of the other guys...

KWalker

by KWalker

prendrefeu wrote:HA!
Horner isn't a redneck, that's for sure. Oregon man, yes. Redneck, no. Not even close.

Have you been to Bend? Or most of Oregon? Definitely lots of rural, working class, generally lower income people that definitely qualify as "rednecks". Especially when you get into the high desert.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

nfecyle

by nfecyle

I don't think it is hard to find Chris Horner during training. Here in San Diego, if you re doing rides in east counties mountains such as Kitchen Creek, Palomar, Honey Springs, you will have high probability to see a guy riding considerably much faster than anybody else, wearing only cycling hats and no helmet with full rst kit.

KWalker

by KWalker

:wink: XNAVALAV8R- I accept your challenge when you return to the Mid-Atlanic and look forward to handing you a big serving of droppage :wink:

I like that Horner is now ahead because no one can use the "I'm old" excuse anymore.

What I have heard about Horner are just rumors that seemed convoluted, but they did come from a number of former domestic pros, many of whom raced with/against Horner in the 90's and early 2000's. I don't care though and find those kind of uncorroborated stories as dodgy as doping. I would imagine if he had done some shit it would've come out in the reasoned decision somehow somewhere, especially since he rode with Levi for a while.

I think people forget how hard Horner crushed US domestic racing for a decade. He basically won every type of race and was always much better than everyone else. He tried to enter the Pro Tour when it was doped out of its mind and didn't do too well, but seeing how much riders such as Contador or Basso have slowed down in recent years I wonder what it would've been like if they were clean(er) then.

Horner's power on the SRM page is not that nutty. I've seen 10 minute numbers from many riders, including myself, that are just as high of a percentage of their threshold as that.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

petepeterson

by petepeterson

You guys have to upload your power files for it to be legit.

Interesting speculation on Contador & Alonso. The stars seem to be aligning that way but I suppose there are contractual issues with Riis and Specialized to deal with.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Regarding Horner my optimist side shares KW's view that his late blooming could be explained by trends in the Euro peloton over the last few years. He even alluded to it in an interview on CN a few years back WRT speeds.