"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

That horrible painted section that matched the ribs in the fork is gone. Odd the band around the fork is on the right, and not the left. I think they should have mixed matte and gloss sections, given it's predominantly black.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

well clearly there is demand for it, you can't even get on the website currently, 6pm GMT

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

As a designer, I'm more and more focusing on Rapha (as a design entity/provider) than Sky.

This is going briefly OT, but it's interesting to note the evolution (or complete lack thereof) of design in what Rapha produces. While it is a good move to establish a distinguishable style, it is also burying themselves in a massive hole that if not already will soon be too deep to dig out of. By establishing such a consistent motif they have abandoned a thread of a design statement, instead relying upon cliché for which they are now known throughout. A design statement would have established their abilities to provide a recognizable "Rapha design or approach" while evolving with each new line/season/year.

For those of you who didn't quite follow, here's an easy comparison:

Prada, Diesel, Givenchy, and so on. With each season line they've provided new and fresh designs while still retaining a distinguished style. You can look at their products and know that "it is a Prada" or so on (without even looking at the marque) yet they have not relied on a cliché in their aesthetic, they have each been driven by a design thesis, motif... the equivalent of an "artist's statement".

Rapha? Same old design, slight adaptation at best, same cliché aesthetic. Design thesis? Lacking, and we may never see it as they continue to rely upon the same designs and dig themselves further into a hole. One day when they decide to put more than 5 minutes into a concept and design something new, will it be too late?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

euan

by euan

I think the reason for the design of the kit is so it could be consistant from the £25 tshirt up to the £140 jersey. It needs to be understated and work in a casual sense.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

... Yeah, I got that, but that's not what I'm referring to.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

I don't think that's fair. These items, for all their irksome marketing are technical garments. There has been apparent evolution in the design of their top-teir items. The materials, cut and construction of items like the new pro jersey, and race cape are removed from the top lines of previous years.

True, the cut of a lot of their garments has not changed since inception and does look tired, but given they've mustered the capital to sponsor Sky of all teams I imagine it's more of a 'it's clearly not broken so let's no worry', than the eternal 'new season, new collection or irrelevancy' of the fashion world.

I don't think Rapha are in a hole, they've found a niche, and so long as it works I can't seem them moving the majority of their lines too far.

PS, if you think most people could spot a Prada item, without looking at the label, I think you've been in LA for too long. :D

pastronef

by pastronef

marco fan

by marco fan

i have put most of them up here on a blog
www.thequenchdiaries.blogspot.com
john

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

From the pictures on the previous page, it looks like Sky equipped some, if not all of its riders, with the new Dura-Ace Di2 9070. Levers look interesting with more pronounced shift buttons.

Geoff

by Geoff

scotty wrote:These publicity shots might be the reason Cav left...

Or maybe this from McLaren...
Attachments
Cav's New Ride 1.jpg
Cav's New Ride 2.jpg
Cav's New Ride 3.jpg

Kasparz

by Kasparz

This is worth pushing pedals for :)

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

hansonator69 wrote:Image

Mitch Docker not using Oakley? Sponsor change?

Greenedge are now using Bolle glasses.

Velofreak

by Velofreak

I don't think i would ever buy anything from a company called Rapha, or Ralph lauren, or Tommy Hilfiger, or burberrys... Rapha sounds already bad, like anticipating such a fake retro style, that can only be fake by definition, as traditional cycling clothing from the past is there, on the past. I think Assos, or gore, or pearl izumi, are more interesting. Technical apparel for a technical stuff. If we start comparing cycling apparel with fashion, I'd rather cycle naked, quite frankly. It's important to understand that style has a limit, and if you go over it, it becomes anti-style, and enter the field of pathetic, poser, hipster, and specially fakeness and makeup. Cipollini would love old this crap.

Adias, should i say nalini, previous kit was already bad (as it was a nalini rebranded to adidas). This one is worse. It's as bad as a pinarello, so i think it's a good kit brand that will match a suspicious sponsor, suspicious frame manufacture, etc... they should wear all fizik shoes and mavic wheels, to close the circle.

duz10s

by duz10s

Velofreak wrote:I don't think i would ever buy anything from a company called Rapha, or Ralph lauren, or Tommy Hilfiger, or burberrys... Rapha sounds already bad, like anticipating such a fake retro style, that can only be fake by definition, as traditional cycling clothing from the past is there, on the past. I think Assos, or gore, or pearl izumi, are more interesting. Technical apparel for a technical stuff. If we start comparing cycling apparel with fashion, I'd rather cycle naked, quite frankly. It's important to understand that style has a limit, and if you go over it, it becomes anti-style, and enter the field of pathetic, poser, hipster, and specially fakeness and makeup. Cipollini would love old this crap.

Adias, should i say nalini, previous kit was already bad (as it was a nalini rebranded to adidas). This one is worse. It's as bad as a pinarello, so i think it's a good kit brand that will match a suspicious sponsor, suspicious frame manufacture, etc... they should wear all fizik shoes and mavic wheels, to close the circle.

What's so suspicious about Mavic?
2015 RCA with Di2

Kasparz

by Kasparz

Interesting startlist for Down Under. I hope Bagdonas will get something out of this first year in big team.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com