"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I like time bonuses in a GT. I think it means smaller riders can creep up the GC - Betancur - and can make all the difference if they are fighting it out for minor placings at the finish.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

What's the climb like, micky?

Looks like 5.3km at ~7%. Seems like it could be enough to blow the peloton to bits again.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

i'm just thinking, when was the last time we've been generously treated with fireworks, let alone some decent attacks. rewinding recent stage races in my memory i go as far as the 'Armstrong Era', like Pantani vs. Armstrong on Ventoux. that was helluva piece of racing. not some second tier stage winner wannabes, but the very favourites showing they mean bussiness. since then, there were as litttle as incidental episodes of cyclists going all in. or evident dopers, like Ricco, who wouldn't and possibly couldn't just sit back, having too much extra power on their disposal burning holes in their pockets. but aside from them, the big races are rather lost than won. we're watching same race over and over again: bunch of favourites riding like glued together, some of them getting dropped, and nothing usually happens till the last kilometer or so when there's no more than few secons to gain. and this giro is not much different, exept for Uran's attack and Santambrogio's stage win. my bet is, hopefully a wrong one, that through out the last stages and with an uphill time trial like that, nothing will happen except some guys loosing time
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Ghost234

by Ghost234

What if time bonuses were worth a lot more. For instance, the 2x D'Huez stage at the tour the winner gets a 1 minute GC time bonus. That would REALLY spark some intense attacking to try and get that.

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

tymon did you watch the 2012 vuelta? There were certainly some fireworks there! Heres my favorite highlights video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70o9NtAXn2I great to watch before a big race or ride :)

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

2012 Vuelta, 2011 Tour de France, 2010 Giro - those had plenty of 'fireworks'

I don't think 'action' and 'fireworks' necessarily correlate to the era of doping. It's all about matchups and ultimately teams willing to take risks, bold tactics, etc:. Perhaps we're seeing the era reminiscent of what Sky did in 2012? Maybe teams are now following that method instead of showing some cajones. Slow tactics, measured efforts, methodical, controlled, juggernaut... dull.
:noidea:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

prendrefeu wrote:2012 Vuelta, 2011 Tour de France, 2010 Giro - those had plenty of 'fireworks'

2011 TdF was great for big contenders shaking things up. :D

ichobi

by ichobi

I didn't see Sky protecting Uran as they did Wiggins. He's always isolated. Nibali has Kangert and Scarponi always has someone with him (but stage yesterday Sky had Pate in the break so..) really hope gets full support here.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Easier said than done on a climb like the one to Antrate yesterday. Sky's train is mostly diesels who will churn away on a 5/6% ramp and put the hurt on. When it's 8/9/10%, it's too much (Though Knees did crest the climb on the wheel of Santambrogio). The only Sky rider you might expect to hang in on that climb would be Henao, but I think he tried to get out of the group (or maybe mark a move) earlier on, so was probably burned.
-
Finsbury Park CC

Liggero

by Liggero

I think it's not just the lack of doping, but the radio thing that makes current races more boring. Narrow roads and time bonuses make things more interesting, but perhaps removing the radios would improve things.
Happy Trails !!!

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

I think no race radio's would certainly be interesting, if only to see ho riders go with having to make decisions themselves within a race.

Radio's however didn't seem to help Caruso yesterday appreciate he was the one killing the breakaway.

cazone

by cazone

It´s everything all together I think.
Race radios, less evident doping, power meters.
And more conservative tactics in general.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

And the World Tour points system.

A rider is worth significantly more money if they come with a haul of points. Some teams are being forced to cut all their domestiques at the end of the year and hire riders from the Europe or Asia Tour who have more points. That might not really affect the likes of Sky/BMC, but for AG2R, Euscaltel, it's a big deal. For a rider's market value it's worth a lot more for someone to play it safe and secure a top ten than it would be to throw their cards on the table early and risk being dropped.
-
Finsbury Park CC

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

yup, all that plus a general improvement regarding cyclists' working environment - bigger money, better staff and equipment. i've no concrete data on this, but from what i hear here and there even the 'worst' cyclists at GT squads make good money now. that sure was not the case 15-20 years ago (i believe Armstrong is, among other factors, to "blame" for that, but that's another story..) when cyclists had to literally fight on the road for their status among their teams and peloton in general - hence a greater tendency and willingness to put everything on stake and attack
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

JamieL

by JamieL

My understanding is that for this year it is only the points of the best 15 riders on a team which count towards the team's total points. I think this is getting reduced to 12 for next year - Inrng.com had an article on it i think.

This should mean that domestiques can stop worrying and keep on domestiquing without worrying too much about their job security.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com