"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

Kids should spend less time emulating the positions of pros and more time focusing on either the joys of riding, or becoming as fast as possible. This whole romantic emulation of bike riders is weird and every time I've met someone that does so they are completely losing out on some aspect of riding in attempt to be seen as some sort of weird ideal they've constructed that often doesn't matter.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Imaking20

by Imaking20

@kwalker: realistically, I agree with you. However, I always say if I can't be fast then dammit I'm going to look fast!

@petepeterson: on the contrary, sometimes I find it entertaining to mimic famous riders' styles (minus the speed, of course). As an example, on my solo 3 hr Z2 ride on Saturday I would occasionally bobble like Froome and try to wag like Bertie out of the saddle. It breaks things up :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

KWalker wrote:Kids should spend less time emulating the positions of pros and more time focusing on either the joys of riding, or becoming as fast as possible. This whole romantic emulation of bike riders is weird and every time I've met someone that does so they are completely losing out on some aspect of riding in attempt to be seen as some sort of weird ideal they've constructed that often doesn't matter.

but imitating and emulating idols is the FUN for kids. untill i've read your post i was sure everyone feels this way :noidea: and i mean: everyone

heck, even now when i wear my plain white nalini jersey and hit some hills, i'm being Bertie (i know he's more about yellow these days, but i always picture him in white..). it's not just fun - i swear i can climb a lot faster that way. and i can almost feel people staring from the side of the road thinking "who's that guy.. man, he's good" :lol: :lol: :lol:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

KWalker

by KWalker

Hey I won't deny that I am not guilty of pretending I'm in the midst of dominating a race when I'm daydreaming on a training ride, just tired of hearing shit like "Well the pros rode their bars higher back in the day, therefore, all modern pros have their bars too low" type stuff you see on Velocipede or Paceline.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Donkey

by Donkey

Froome eats bushmeat and enjoys it too.

ave

by ave

When I was a kid I was playing tennis, and yep, I was alternating between me being Ivan Lendl and John McEnroe while playing with the wall. :)

And to be honest, I do emulate pros from time to time on the bike too, even beyond 40! It's fuN!

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Imaking20 wrote:However, I always say if I can't be fast then dammit I'm going to look fast!

you get it :beerchug:

G O A L S

and im 6 posts away from my post count reading 1337..... after 6 posts, im never posting again.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

everytime I look at my garmin slogging up a hill, I think of Froome and have to raise my head.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

KWalker

by KWalker

nathanong87 wrote:
Imaking20 wrote:However, I always say if I can't be fast then dammit I'm going to look fast!

you get it :beerchug:

G O A L S

and im 6 posts away from my post count reading 1337..... after 6 posts, im never posting again.

Then why do you race?
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

rma

by rma

Let the man ride his own way... If that is what it takes to produce, maintain and suffer those 400+W, then let it be.

Zitter

by Zitter

seems Movistar took some inspiration from Astana for the worst Italian national champ kits

http://www.steephill.tv/2014/vuelta-a-e ... Malori.jpg

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Anyone know who makes their shoe covers?

KWalker

by KWalker

I know its an ages old debate, but having the WC be just 1 race makes no sense. They should bring back the World Cup and make that the world champion.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

nickl

by nickl

Donkey wrote:One thing I don't understand, Froome isn't trying to be in contention for the Vuelta but is using it as training for nexr year's Tour.

I never heard Froome claim it was training? That's crazy - there's a whole off-season between now and then.

micky

by micky

Tinea Pedis wrote:Anyone know who makes their shoe covers?

Probably Nalini.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com