"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

"Regularly hammered PED users in the states"??? Sure, he won a bunch in the states but he could never really make a mark in the world tour....ever think that was because he wasn't doped?? What makes you think that American racing scene was doped to the gills? More likely it wasn't and that's precisely why we are under-represented in the WT.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

PED use in the US peloton (at least at the top end) has not been "clean." Different types of PED, many would say just short of the Euro extreme level, but use of drugs was/is normal. The financial issue helped keep it at a lower level.
The vast difference in racing style, i.e. crits vs road racing, has a lot to do with guys being able to make the jump.
So doping has little to nothing to do with US representation in a sport that the US in general doesnt care about.
On a proper note, I hope Gearne release the USA version of the Chrono that Horner wears. Just dont call it the Horner edition!
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

airwise wrote:
petepeterson wrote:So any exceptional performance warrants suspicion and innuendo of PED use... oh right unless they ride for a Brit team.

Not at all but the facts here are the guy is 42 years old, he's from a nation that hasn't produced a clean GT contender in thirty years, and he regularly hammered PED abusers in the States for years during the height of the doping era. Therefore, logic is used to make my sad conclusions. Nibali's comments post stage yesterday seemed to suggest he was thinking along similar lines.
At least if you are going to state facts, make them correct, rather than exaggerated, rounded 'caricatures'. Horner is 41 years old, even if almost 42. As for who was the most recent clean U.S. GT contender, I'm not sure who you are counting. Lemond winning a GT in 1990, 23 years ago, and contending to some extent (7th in TdF) in 1991. Hampsten winning a GT in 1988, 25 years ago, and contending (4th place in TdF in 1992), 21 years ago. Or is Lemond out as not clean? Was Hampsten doping with anti-freeze on the Gavia in 1988 Giro?

Also by your logic, Wiggo couldn't have been clean, since GB had most recently produced a TdF winner, NEVER. And then the same would have to apply to Froome, as Wiggo wouldn't count, as he wasn't clean per above logic, As for your logic, Mr. Spock you're not. That doesn't mean that Horner is clean, but merely the illogic of your logic in determining him to not be.
Last edited by HammerTime2 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

btompkins0112 wrote:What makes you think that American racing scene was doped to the gills? More likely it wasn't and that's precisely why we are under-represented in the WT.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

A bit late in the game for a new contract?

15:54:23 CEST

The American still hasn't signalled his plans for 2014, and came into the Vuelta without a contract. Cyclingnews were told by one agent that his money demands were part of the problem, but also there aren't any teams on the look out for much needed UCI points this year. Horner may feel like his value will increase if he wins the Vuelta. That's that always the case. Casero was in a similar position, and Jonathan Vaughters wrote about that over a decade ago in Cycle Sport magazine - how many teams have finalised budgets already and places are thin on the ground.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Liggero

by Liggero

Amazing how much knowledge there is here about US racing, when the sport is almost entirely european. US competition level must be on par with Kazajistan, for instance. I bet French female cycling has a higher level than US pro racing...
Last edited by Liggero on Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

pastronef wrote:
Liggero wrote:Now back to interesting stuff, i was wondering how is new tech evolving in racing;

- Are now most riders in 25mm tires now for real? all movistar and euskaltel are still in 23mm.
- What about oval rings? are they disappearing? it's perhaps an sponsor thing?
- What about bont shoes? seems like sidi is still king, with the latest s-works coming strong too.
- Any rider/team still in non electronic groupset for regular stages (not time trials), apart from sram teams?

Cheers!! no more doping talk, there's no point I guess.

some Caja Rural riders, Millar, Froomey and other are using oval rings
S-Works shoes are coming very strong. Talansky, Santaromita, other BMC riders, some FDJ guys and others are using undranded S-works shoes
Nibali and Fuglsang are using mechanical groups, Net-App use mechanical Dura ace, IAM too

Thanks mate. Froome uses oval just in TT right? not in regular stages, AFAIK. Seems like netapp and iam use mechanical due to lower budget, perhaps... Interesting Nibali uses mechanical, although EPS sucks a tiny bit, apparently.
Happy Trails !!!

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Guess not many are excited to take a punt on 'rider 15'

On the flipside, Wurf is drinking the coolaid so who knows?
http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/09/cam-w ... the-bunch/

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

pastronef wrote:some Caja Rural riders, Millar, Froomey and other are using oval rings
S-Works shoes are coming very strong. Talansky, Santaromita, other BMC riders, some FDJ guys and others are using undranded S-works shoes
Nibali and Fuglsang are using mechanical groups, Net-App use mechanical Dura ace, IAM too

I think a lot of the S-works are custom jobs.

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

PURITO! wins stage 19

Horner gapped the leader

Ho, ho.

He will take the jersey

Oh, Nibali does not look like a happy camper.

So Horner started the day in second by three seconds and he now leads by three seconds. Tight, tight, tight.

by cpelkey 2 minutes ago (moderator)
Last edited by stella-azzurra on Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

ryker

by ryker

The one might not be decided until Madrid!

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I doubt that. The Angliru climb should make the selection.

Biff

by Biff

airwise wrote:
petepeterson wrote:So any exceptional performance warrants suspicion and innuendo of PED use... oh right unless they ride for a Brit team.

Not at all but the facts here are the guy is 42 years old, he's from a nation that hasn't produced a clean GT contender in thirty years, and he regularly hammered PED abusers in the States for years during the height of the doping era. Therefore, logic is used to make my sad conclusions. Nibali's comments post stage yesterday seemed to suggest he was thinking along similar lines.

What did Nibali say??.Got a link?

ryker

by ryker

stella-azzurra wrote:The Angliru climb should make the selection.

The only certainty is we'll all be watching. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

As Maxwell Smart would say: Would you believe 40 is the new 30? :lol: