"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

Are the Commonwealth Games a way that the Brits pretend that colonialism was a great thing?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

KWalker, indeed they are a way to show the old empire still means something (to those bothered).

wingguy

by wingguy

maquisard wrote:Image

In the interests of sexual equality did the bloke in the blue dress have to give Alex Dowsett a kiss?

AGW

by AGW

I would think the man in the green dress was enough.

#tbt #fashiontalk #biggerquadsthanhoy

Imaking20

by Imaking20

^for the win

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

KWalker wrote:Are the Commonwealth Games a way that the Brits pretend that colonialism was a great thing?

No. They exist now just to fill the gap between Olympic games. I half suspect that the IOC would get all pissy if they were opened up to all-comers.

KB

by KB

KWalker wrote:Are the Commonwealth Games a way that the Brits pretend that colonialism was a great thing?

Depends which social class you're from. If you went to the main private and grammar schools, three's a good chance that these people, especially their forefathers,
would answer in the affirmative because they were the one's that gained from it. The working class were just part of the colonial ethos by the British Establishment, i.e., to be financially raped and pillaged.

So, for the most part, especially with the Scots, they definitely wouldn't in any way think of the former Empire. To most people in the UK it's just a sports celebration.

In fact they used to call it the Empire Games, but their aint no empire left.

mm1

by mm1

Mozambique and Rwanda were never British colonies and asked to join the Commonwealth. I won't pretend that the Empire was benign, but it has left a positive heritage of democracy and common law.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Dowsett fined 30CHF for the cut down number I hear ;)
Overshoes look illegally long too though.

petal666

by petal666

Track rule only isn't it.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Track rule is no overshoes of any sort.

I believe CarlosFerreiro is referring to the height they extended up Dowsett's legs.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I was surprised to see that Cyprus were at the CW games as well. Seemed rather odd to me, but oh well

lippythelion

by lippythelion

^Cyprus is a guest of honour due to the fact that it gave me and my fellow (ex-)servicemen & women the opportunity to drink half pints of brandy sour at 12 pence a time on nights out in Limassol & Ayia Napa.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Well that was nice of you to invite them in then :lol:

mentok

by mentok

mjduct wrote:Enough fashion talk... Anybody get in on the crowd funding for the soon to be former specialized-lulu lemon women's team?
http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/07/ ... ign_339151

I think this deserves 10 times the money some of these other goofy crowd sources iphone integrated commuter bikes we've seen recently...

i'd like to get involved, but $250 for a jersey and "feeling good" is a bit rich for my blood :( i hope this does well though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com