"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mm1

by mm1

Trying to keep up wrecked Boardman's health. He ended up with osteopeana (precursor to osteoporosis) due to severely depleted hormone levels (especially testosterone), the only treatment for which is hormone replacement therapy. He retired so that he could have this treatment. While one cannot be certain, Boardman is one of very few riders from that era who one can trust as being clean. Essentially he was a UK "tester" (club time trialist) who planned his career and got what he could out his talents extremely well. There is no doubt that he had results stolen from him by others who were better "prepared". Oh, and he's a real bike weenie also.

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

mm1 wrote:Trying to keep up wrecked Boardman's health. He ended up with osteopeana (precursor to osteoporosis) due to severely depleted hormone levels (especially testosterone), the only treatment for which is hormone replacement therapy. He retired so that he could have this treatment. While one cannot be certain, Boardman is one of very few riders from that era who one can trust as being clean. Essentially he was a UK "tester" (club time trialist) who planned his career and got what he could out his talents extremely well. There is no doubt that he had results stolen from him by others who were better "prepared". Oh, and he's a real bike weenie also.

Have heard recently that this isn't true.

He is just a UK club cyclist that all of a sudden world an olympic gold medal and then the Tour prologue!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Well, he was in the senior GB team pursuit squad at the worlds aged 16 (1985), so not quite out of nowhere....

mm1

by mm1

He is just a UK club cyclist that all of a sudden world an olympic gold medal and then the Tour prologue!

I didn't say he wasn't class (and very, very quick against the clock).

The osteopena thing is well documented, there was even an application for a TUE to the UCI that was rejected just before he retired (oh, the irony).

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

I light of the recent news coming out with Armstrong and the testimonies of a bunch of riders does anyone find this to be quite interesting?

http://www.levieffect.com/

Kind of puts that whole movie into a new perspective....
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

53x12

by 53x12

^ The whole, "He raced in the wrong era caused he raced in the Lance Armstrong era. If there hadn't been a Lance Armstrong, or a Tyler Hamilton, or a Floyd Landis, Levi Leipheimer would have been the greatest Tour de France rider from the United States from his era."

Seems like all 4 of those guys had something in common.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

djm

by djm

Also at the Gazet Von Antwerpen Bpost Bank Trofee Ronse cross, men's elite, forum member Kyle Kiser - kiserkm! :-D

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

SolidSnake03 wrote:I light of the recent news coming out with Armstrong and the testimonies of a bunch of riders does anyone find this to be quite interesting?

http://www.levieffect.com/

Kind of puts that whole movie into a new perspective....
Yes, it does seem a bit "odd", but I withhold final judgment until I see exactly what story is told. Let's see if it/he talks about his doping, but the trailer didn't mention or hint at it.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

^ I assume movie was scripted/shot prior to the sh$t hitting the fan so to speak.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

My assumption based on trailer and the way that Levi seems to be viewed through it indicate this was without knowledge of the career of doping. True, we will have to wait until it comes out to actually see the film and know for sure but I have a feeling that doping will not be part of it.

What I'm interested in is if there will be any comments either from Levi or the producers about the film/Levi's Career/Doping if this isn't specifically brought up in the movie. I'm curious to see if Levi's admission and firing will be talked about in any way surrounding the attention of the film or if it will be largely brushed aside and kept mum.

Time will tell I guess but it will be very interesting to say the least
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

djm

by djm

"From the millions in charity work to the reshaping of his hometown, he’s done it all nearly silently. Until now."

What is this bovine sh*t?
I guess now that all this bad PR surfaced there was a need to correct the image and raise the "charity shield" (haha)
The lesson is these guys believe doping is ok as long as you do charitable work?
Do real gentlemen need to create a movie about their charitable work? (No.)

I'm willing to bet it won't directly mention Leipheimer was doping. Living the lie.

Now, at the apex of his career, he finds himself in a place that he’d never considered: that his greatest legacy may not be his racing success on the bike, but rather how he’s carried that success off the bike and captured the hearts of fans around the world. In the end, Levi’s unlikely impact on the lives of those around him; the community he unwittingly created, will eclipse the headlines and the flashbulbs of his racing career. For no single accomplishment will ever hold a candle to the changes we engender in the world around us.

I guess this could be a reference to the community of omertà he contributed to creating, but I think that's a bit of a stretch ;-)

nickmcg1971

by nickmcg1971

even full of drugs i still was not the best American cyclist in my era......but ignore that please spend your hard earned money and watch my movie :noidea:

beardking

by beardking

from http://www.facebook.com/thebreakawaycc
Levi Leipheimer has had his contract terminated by Omega Pharma-Quick-Step

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

worstshotever wrote:Pro:

Just saying.

Here is the alternate version going for a Strava KOM

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

:lol: :lol: :lol: Hilarious!