"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

guttengeo

by guttengeo

Why is Wiggins aka. Wiggo, Wiggoman not riding his Osymetric chainrings in this years Giro d'italia?

I was just wondering, because i've heard they were very nice and his first choice of chainrings!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

At about 1:50 of the video at http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/22340878
Wiggins "I've come off those silly rings"

euan

by euan

erty65 wrote:
euan wrote:Dowsett did 375W to win today. That is mean not normalised.
Where did you get that info?

Dan Lloyd, straight from Dowsett

ave

by ave

Again on Evans, from I gather, he was the fastest up the last 3km climb.
Evans 6:55
Wiggins 7:00
Nibali 7:03
Scarponi 7:04

Liggero

by Liggero

That's great!! Pity about the other 52Km before, right?
Happy Trails !!!

TiG

by TiG

I don't see how you can think Wiggins is in and Evans out?

Evans only lost half a minute over a tt of 55 km. Still a TT. It was suppose to be a chance for Wiggins to gain serious time on his rivals, probably so he could show us his tremendous bike handling skills in the wet. My guess is there will be probably another descent or two in the wet where Wiggins can target the slowest time. :noidea:

Liggero

by Liggero

To have Evans in, he has to get some time over the other riders in the TT, otherwise, I don0t know how he could win the giro. I´ve never ever seeing evans attacking in the mountains. Ever. And I don't think i will see it, unfortunately. To have evans IN, i think, he should have won todays TT with an advantage of at least one minute over the rest. Just as he did with baby schleck when he won the tour.

Wiggo is in because he had a flat and still only lost 10 seconds over the winner, and won to all of his rivals, in a TT that doesn't suit him at all. Also, wiggo is not a climber at all, but he can resist them quite well. It just depends if nibali is better or not on those stages.

Wiggins had a lot to loose if he fell again yesterday, that is why he had to go slowly. In the next weeks, specially third week, he may have to risk, and so he will, not yesterday though, and that is why he didn't. Wiggins is still quite in, the only problem for him is that nibali is double IN. Hesjedal and cadel are out, cause in the mountains they are worse, and in the TT the probed to be worse too. Pity.
Happy Trails !!!

Ghost234

by Ghost234

I would say Evans is quite in the game. He is a strong rider, and he can attack quite well when he wants to. He didn't win the World Championships by sitting in. Wiggins is in the dangerous position, because his team does not have to work, he only has to drop Nibali and he was able to do that last year quite well. This time, he doesn't need to have his team guard the front as he did at the Tour so his team may be even more potent on the climbs.

I also wouldn't rule out Hesjedal. He may be given some leash on a stage (remember De Ghent last year?) and can take some time back. While not as big a threat as some others, he can still pose quite a bit of danger to the GC. He is strong, and could be motivated to make some desperation moves.

djconnel

by djconnel

Since he won the Worlds, Evans became much more aggressive. I think you forget the 2011 Tour. Climbing speeds dropped around 2010 and I think that gave him a bit more head room.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Liggero- you're stuck in early 2009. Since then I think we've seen some of the best rides in cycling come from Evans.

2009 Worlds
2010 Montalcino Giro stage
2011 Galibier stage single handedly chasing down Andy and winning the Tour

Not to mention he's also an ace descender.

Liggero

by Liggero

I think you are allright, and if Evans keep with this progression you mention, he will get the red dotted jersey in the tour of 2015, at the age of... 40? Yes. Sure. Wake up. We will se it anyway, in a few hours.

Evans attacking in the mountains, sure. 2011 tour was won in the tt, not in galibier, go to youtube please. And remember: anything can happen is not a prediction.
Happy Trails !!!

pastronef

by pastronef

mentok

by mentok

Liggero wrote:Evans attacking in the mountains, sure. 2011 tour was won in the tt, not in galibier, go to youtube please. And remember: anything can happen is not a prediction.

so if evans rides defensively and doesn't attack at all for the rest of the giro he's only really got to cover nibali, wiggins, gesink and scarponi. if he can defend against his chasers, maintains the gap to nibali and then beat nibali in the next TT then he could take pink without attacking once - it would take a lot of work to defend, but ultimately the race could all come down to the TT which is a hill climb so wiggins isn't automatically a shoo-in. Why do you insist he must attack?

it's a long 2 weeks and the race is still very open, but to suggest that evans can be discounted already is going a bit far.

that said, I don't personally think evans will win - you don't decide in march that you'll win the giro and do it, plus i'm sure when it gets heavy in the mountains he'll be carrying the thought of froome's wheel and paris on his mind like an anchor. would love to be wrong though. great racing ahead in the next 2 weeks regardless.

Liggero

by Liggero

my god... Is he pink jersey; NO. Are there any flat TT left: NO. Well, I think he must attack sooner or later, or at least win time in the mountains, which won't happen having nibali, unless of course if nibali has worse days in the mountain than him, which would be more than rare. Is it that difficult to understand? Evans is old, get over it!!!!!
Happy Trails !!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jooo

by jooo

To me Wiggins certainly doesn't look 100% so something like the stomach bug seems very plausible. IMO, as long as Wiggins is fit and healthy, he should still have the 2nd TT sewn up (at least vs the GC riders). He's been very quick on the Col d’Eze and was still faster than Nibali, both overall and on the final climb in Stage 8 despite looking rather 'grey'.

Re: Hansen's shoes - They're very cool, especially so if he's made them himself. I'm kinda surprised some WW's think they're a new idea though - Simmons have been making something similar for quite a while:

Oh and a super impressive stage win :thumbup:

@Liggero - most of the time I can't work out if you're trolling or just stupid :lol: