"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

jsinclair wrote:"rated a mention" just means that the article referred to you. obviously i don't actually mean referring to you personally, but to those that might have excused it by virtue of sagan's age.

Thanks for the explanation, learning something new! :thumbup:

jsinclair wrote:i happen to be the same age as Peter Sagan, so if you are suggesting that i too might behave in that way, or think its ok, they you are mistaken. as you pointed out earlier, he is from a small town of 80,000 or so. i also grew up in a town with roughly the same population, but that doesnt mean i think its ok. to suggest that it is then a product of his upbringing in slovakia does a rather large disservice to those that live there.

his apology seemed half-baked and insincere at best.

To the latter: Are you actually thinking a person is going to suddenly change their upbringing overnight? Really? A 23 year old professional athlete? Really?

To the former: I suggested - and please, go back and read carefully - that there may be several factors that lead to behaviours. Did I suggest that ALL persons from Slovakia are that way? Nope. I guessed at a few things that could have lead him to act the way he does, but neither you nor I know for certain. I did bring up examples of understanding language in regards to his t-shirt from three years ago, but does that mean all people who are not native speakers have the same level of comprehension of another language? Nope.

jsinclair wrote:sportspeople often raise and donate money to charity, and some charities are solely built around this fundraising model, so the real world implications definitely exist.

Hello jsinclair. I happen to spend well over 25 hours per week, for the past 6 years, (and on top of my own career, riding, social life, etc:.) leading a very prevalent and strong not-for-profit advocacy organisation. My position is not paid: I am a volunteer by the vary nature of the nonprofit (I do have paid employees, however). I am fully aware of charities, foundations, and all the lot. I spend countless hours building relationships with foundations and people of prominence, getting funding and working magic to benefit the community at large. I know first hand what athlete foundations actually do. I know firsthand how rare it is that your former classmate and champion athlete would actually make good on their prominence. Did I state, just prior, that it is rare? Yes I did. How do I know it is rare? Because I deal with reality. Every. Single. Day.

Coincidentally, this is a related link that might be of interest to you:
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/ ... -use-money

Are you somehow equating your upbringing with another person's and expecting the exact same result just because you're the same age and grew up in an 80k town? Yes you are. That would be like me comparing my behaviours/values to another person's behaviours/values growing up in another major metropolis of the same age - it's an absolutely ridiculous endeavor. Disappointed that a person would even think that way and not see how diverse the world truly is. But here we are, and look at our diversity: some people take sports really seriously, and others like myself wonder why people take it so seriously.

jsinclair wrote:i think you only need to watch the paralympics to see that sportspeople can be heros, oscar pistorius (allegedly) notwithstanding. i went to school with this guy, he is undoubtedly a hero.

I actually do watch paralympics - mostly streaming or torrents, because they are rarely broadcast here. Since you went to school with that para-athlete, maybe ask him about diversity. He might tell you that people are different and just because you may be the same age as someone does not mean they were raised with the same values as you.

Did I say that all people from Slovakia were that way? No.
Did I say that all 20 year olds were that way? No.
What I did state is that there are a number of reasons that could have lead to a person to act they way they do. I also stated - quite clearly - that increased exposure will help Sagan mature a bit. Did you miss that?

While we're on the subject of heros and disabilities: I spent two years as an assistant for a quadriplegic professor, part time, between undergraduate and graduate studies. Speaking of heroes? No ability to work her arms nor legs, yet a mind powerful enough to shift entire academic departments at one of the most prominent universities in the United States. A voice powerful enough to draw light to discriminatory practices and bring dramatic changes to a world famous athletic department in a country that sometimes prides itself more on College-level athletics than academics.
I also know heros, buddy. First hand. :wink:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lyot

by lyot

erty65 wrote:
ave wrote:It's amazing power Cancellara has got.
What I find quite disturbing is that nobody was even close.
Lack of cooperation in the 20-25 man group?

I think this is why : Last 13.0 km. Fabian Cancellara: 15 min 45 sec = 49.524 Kph

erty65

by erty65

lyot wrote:
erty65 wrote:
ave wrote:It's amazing power Cancellara has got.
What I find quite disturbing is that nobody was even close.
Lack of cooperation in the 20-25 man group?

I think this is why : Last 13.0 km. Fabian Cancellara: 15 min 45 sec = 49.524 Kph
But 25 pros cooperating shouldn't have a problem with that.

roselend
Shop Wrench

by roselend

Can we stop making 800 words posts about this please? It's getting old real fast.

However, I can't stop noticing that in Belgium almost everyone had a good laugh about this, e.g, the infamous photo has been liked, commented and even shared thousands of times on belgian FB pages. While most of the criticism comes from one particular jacked up country on the other side of the pond. But that's nothing new of course, moral values often differ between countries and continents. Maybe I'm generalising way to much here, but you get my drift.

Squeezing a women's behind? It must be a euro thing..

Anyway, I'm training all season on 25's now. Not that 23's are not good enough anymore, but 25 is definitely the way to go and also on smooth roads. Now racing old style DA C50's so 25 does not suit this wheelset very well but can't wait to race them on some nice and wide Zipp 303's for instance.
Looking forward on the specs of the new addict!

erty65

by erty65

roselend wrote:Anyway, I'm training all season on 25's now. Not that 23's are not good enough anymore, but 25 is definitely the way to go and also on smooth roads. Now racing old style DA C50's so 25 does not suit this wheelset very well but can't wait to race them on some nice and wide Zipp 303's for instance.
Looking forward on the specs of the new addict!
Why?

roselend
Shop Wrench

by roselend

Better rolling resistance.
Superior traction in the corners, more confident.
More suspension due to larger volume.

All of this at a very small aero and weight penalty.

But we already knew this off course.
For me, in real world racing conditions it's the way to go.
Last edited by roselend on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

roselend wrote:Can we stop making 800 words posts about this please? It's getting old real fast.

However, I can't stop noticing that in Belgium almost everyone had a good laugh about this, e.g, the infamous photo has been liked, commented and even shared thousands of times on belgian FB pages. While most of the criticism comes from one particular jacked up country on the other side of the pond. But that's nothing new of course, moral values often differ between countries and continents. Maybe I'm generalising way to much here, but you get my drift.

:exactly: Even my wife think it's good fun. Why have (some of) the world gone so politically correct?...

Permon

by Permon

roselend wrote:Can we stop making 800 words posts about this please? It's getting old real fast.

+1

de zwarten

by de zwarten

Ignoring the discussion if 25mm is the way to go, even on good roads, the pros have been riding 25mm for years in the spring classics, and lots of amateurs. And there is absolutely no relation between the crisis and the condition of the roads. It has always been like that, and this winter was especially very hard making the roads deteriorate to a level that, even here, is quite bad (lots of snow, freezing, salt, so lots of holes and degraded asphalt, concrete etc. As you may know, the cobblestones are simply protected).

erty65

by erty65

roselend wrote:Better rolling resistance.
Provided the pressure is the same.
roselend wrote:Superior traction in the corners, more confident.
More suspension due to larger volume.
Only necessary if the roads are bad?
roselend wrote:All of this at a very small aero and weight penalty.

But we already knew this off course.
So why hasn't/isn't 25 mm used more?
roselend wrote:For me, in real world racing conditions it's the way to go.
Because you race on bad roads?

djconnel

by djconnel

Right: squeezing a woman's behind here, he's a misogynistic sexist pig. Obviously exploiting power asymmetry.
Making a gun symbol with hands and pulling trigger at someone's head: no problem.

roselend
Shop Wrench

by roselend

Yes, same pressure.
Only necessary on bad roads? Rider preference, I guess.
Tradition. http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/05/ ... ire_218011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No, I race on roads that are in pretty good condition actually.

Real world racing conditions to me is: wet and slippery roads when it rains, sketchy corners at high speed, the occasional bad patch of road on high speed descents, skidding tires in the peleton, unplanned manoeuvres etc.

KWalker

by KWalker

Fabian's attack was also very well timed. He didn't do much work, attacked and got the gap, utilized those he bridged up to for a minute or so and then later let Sagan take a hard pull through and attacked him right after he pulled. He made Sagan work against himself by having him pull where he did- there was no way Sagan was going to be able to do that AND hold pace up the climb. The gap grew, but then halted so it wasn't like he won by minutes.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Talk about inappropriate! Boonen's never going to hear the end of this. Sagan must have cold fingers...

Happy April 1st!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Like this one that I caught on twitter yesterday:

2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon