"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

boysa

by boysa

KWalker wrote:lots of people have that lovable but horribly stupid friend.

+1
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

petepeterson

by petepeterson

must be off season

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Surely this picture says it all about Riccardo's connections

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

That he wears glasses that are too big for his face?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

spud

by spud

or that he's a terribly lonely guy with no friends, forced to take selfies.

If you're going to take selfies, don't wear the mirrored shades.

53x12

by 53x12

Bio passport expert raises concerns about Horner’s published biological passport values

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15660/Bio-passport-expert-raises-concerns-about-Horners-published-biological-passport-values.aspx#ixzz2i8kpSPzA

"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15656/Horner-appears-to-confirm-that-he-wont-be-part-of-the-new-Trek-team-in-2014.aspx wrote:Still waiting to strike a deal, he wrote a stream of frustrated Tweets last week about the situation, pointing out what he had achieved and why he felt he deserved an offer.
Well, if he can't get a gig as a rider, maybe he can become the first CSMRO* of a ProTour team.

* Chief Social Media Rant Officer

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

That velonation article is definitely a case of sensationalism. I respect that the guy is an "expert" but he sees two numbers that don't follow expected trends. But expected trends based on what? What is the baseline? And how is Horner's (and other elite riders') physiology different from that baseline? I am no expert in doping or blood manipulation but I do know that scientific method requires a comprehensive body of tests and a comparison to some standard population to establish what is "normal" or not. Is it possible that some people's bodies respond differently to stress?

This article seems to point fingers again without any sound scientific evidence other than one guy's "suspicions." I agree that Horner put himself out there by making his blood values public information but, absent the "other tests" this expert would order, I think it is mere speculation on his part that anything may be amiss. And again, if you read what he said, he doesn't come out and accuse Horner of anything. But the headline certainly slants the interview.

But Horner is going to fall into the cycling hell of guilty-until-proven-innocent... where the media headlines act as judge, jury, and executioner. If he has doped or cheated in any other way I will be the first to express my disappointment. But prove it before making the public accusations.

maquisard

by maquisard

In fairness to Sky ( and I am in no way a fan ), this is why they did not release Froome and Wiggins bio passport data to the press.

There are many people out there who think they are experts but aren't. Analysis like this is quite subjective, especially when the data set is limited, and if the merest suspicion is floated to the press then they seize it and run an accusatory headline.

KB

by KB

maquisard wrote: ... There are many people out there who think they are experts but aren't. Analysis like this is quite subjective, especially when the data set is limited, and if the merest suspicion is floated to the press then they seize it and run an accusatory headline.

+100. This is a hatchet job just like Kimmage does: innuendo. Anybody who doesn't allow free access to him is doping. Until WADA do a proper analysis, i'll accept the results. I'll take Froome, Horner, Nibali until someone does a proper analysis of the results that clearly provides serious question marks against the data. Otherwise, I don't see how you can differentiate between the results. It's just subjective opinion (personal prejudice).

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

KWalker wrote:You guys are reading into it too much. Probably has a rep friend or two that kicks him spare demo product. Just cuz he is a *f##k* up doesn't mean he doesn't have friends- lots of people have that lovable but horribly stupid friend.

Bingo.

And you guys should pop on to the Velonation Facebook page to check out more of the credentials for the person you're suggesting is not an expert. The article outlines it, further clarification here.

Otherwise, heard the same attacking of analysis over another certain American. I presently believe (and WANT to believe) Chris is clean, however the analysis of the data that he made publicly available (so struggle to see how commenting on it becomes a 'hatchet job') doesn't make for reassuring reading...

KWalker

by KWalker

From the VN page: To clarify: "Robin Parisotto has had a long career in anti-doping research and athlete monitoring, and was the principal researcher in developing the first ever test for EPO, as used in the Sydney Olympics. He was awarded the Australian Sports Medal for that work. He is a published author on anti doping, writing the book Blood Sports, and has been one of the nine experts on the UCI's biopassport panel since it was set up in 2008. For those criticizing him: what is your level of experience in this field of work?"

Now that its clear no one will take Horner and almost no one is coming out saying they think he's clean I'm just waiting 4-6 months for something to happen. Not that I get anything out of it, but lets be honest plenty of top level teams could get Horner if they really wanted, he was reasonably healthy, and clean. Shit, BMC still has Ballan on retainer and he's done nothing worthwhile in almost 4 years. LL Sanchez is reported to be getting another high dollar contract after getting his current one bought out and those dudes actually have legitimate links to ongoing scandals.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

ichobi

by ichobi

Horner wants Grand Tour winner salary (1m euro plus?). He could be in any team right now if he takes 700k. Europcar wouldnt take him for 750k, time is not on his side, neither his age.

KB

by KB

Tinea Pedis wrote:... The article outlines it, further clarification here.
Otherwise, heard the same attacking of analysis over another certain American. I presently believe (and WANT to believe) Chris is clean, however the analysis of the data that he made publicly available (so struggle to see how commenting on it becomes a 'hatchet job') doesn't make for reassuring reading...

When he does a proper scientific independent analysis (by more than one person) is done i'll take notice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rob81

by Rob81

KWalker wrote: almost no one is coming out saying they think he's clean

Hunter Allen, on Wattage google page, said he's clean, the same HA who said Armstrong was clean just few months ago :wink: