"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

Why is it that the Tour has far more stages, on average, in which a summit finish is actually a summit+5km of downhill after? This never made much sense to me.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

I think it's for a couple reasons, to give more towns a stage finish rather than some barren mountaintop and also it's easier to manage the huge circus that is Le Tour logistically that way.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

ultimobici wrote:
stella-azzurra wrote:Yes he was in the middle of a stage and the car wasn't going to get there so he started to change it but did not have to eventually since he got a new wheel.

And it's Chiappucci not Cappuccino! :lol:
Wrong!
It is taken from the rest day. He suffered a rear puncture on the Col de Marie Blanque, resulting in Legeay pulling Duclos-Lassalle & Kvålsvoll over to wait for LeMond.

I though it was during this http://articles.latimes.com/1990-07-19/ ... _flat-tire
And it clearly says in the twitter pic

The day Cappuccino attacked
https://twitter.com/LeMondBikes/status/ ... 92/photo/1

And a video clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guI8WSR5H68

go to 10:30 in the clip
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

This has been done to death. The photo of LeMond ripping a FRONT tub off is from the rest day. The clip you post is of the stage later in the race when he had a REAR puncture.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Then the twitter caption is incorrect. Thank you.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

petepeterson

by petepeterson

ultyguy wrote:So the Big Mig gets celebrated with a honorary Tour stage...yeah, right. Guess the 90s are cool again (see Pantani Giro).

It's strange that they would even touch this but I guess most people don't even know who Conconi is. Pretty much sums up how messed cycling culture is with the Pantani/Giro outrage and this celebration.

Gert Jan Theunisse

by Gert Jan Theunisse

ultimobici wrote:This has been done to death. The photo of LeMond ripping a FRONT tub off is from the rest day. The clip you post is of the stage later in the race when he had a REAR puncture.

Hmmm, climbing a mountain pass on a rest day, sweating profusely (hardly the traditional rest day ride) and compelled to change his own wheel despite being the top rider in the world (wearing the WC jersey no less) and certainly therefore not riding unaccompanied by a team car and/or riders. And a dramatic, Legeay-orchestrated maneuver to top it all off!

Yes, I'm quite sure this happened on a rest day during the Tour :roll:

Not sure you're aware of this, but Erik Breukink spent the better part of that day driving around the region, trying to find a bike shop to stock up on inner tubes for the remaining stages.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

burst out laughing when i saw this (of course not laughing about the stealing part)

planB

by planB

Gert Jan Theunisse wrote:
ultimobici wrote:This has been done to death. The photo of LeMond ripping a FRONT tub off is from the rest day. The clip you post is of the stage later in the race when he had a REAR puncture.

Hmmm, climbing a mountain pass on a rest day, sweating profusely (hardly the traditional rest day ride) and compelled to change his own wheel despite being the top rider in the world (wearing the WC jersey no less) and certainly therefore not riding unaccompanied by a team car and/or riders. And a dramatic, Legeay-orchestrated maneuver to top it all off!

Not sure you're aware of this, but Erik Breukink spent the better part of that day driving around the region, trying to find a bike shop to stock up on inner tubes for the remaining stages.

So you're saying Lemond was riding a mountain stage in the TDF carrying a spare tubular to replace the one he's ripping off in the photo? And that after that they used clinchers (for which the team had driven around frantically looking for inner tubes.) Neither of these scenarios is plausible.

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

planB wrote:

So you're saying Lemond was riding a mountain stage in the TDF carrying a spare tubular to replace the one he's ripping off in the photo? And that after that they used clinchers (for which the team had driven around frantically looking for inner tubes.) Neither of these scenarios is plausible.

He got the spare from a spectator. It was during a stage, Duclos-Lasalle was ahead in a break and turned round and rode back to meet him after his wheel was changed and helped him chase. Those were the days.

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

Horner blood values are suspect according to this article

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-ad ... tml?page=1
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Rodrego Hernandez wrote:
planB wrote:

He got the spare from a spectator. It was during a stage, Duclos-Lasalle was ahead in a break and turned round and rode back to meet him after his wheel was changed and helped him chase. Those were the days.

This is a real Rashomon story, in which none of the different perspectives seem to make sense. If he took the spare tube from a spectator on a stage, why not just borrow the spectators wheel?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

http://velopress.com/books/reading-the-race/ wrote:Reading the Race
Bike Racing from Inside the Peloton
Jamie Smith with Chris Horner

In Reading the Race, race announcer Jamie Smith and veteran road captain Chris Horner team up to deliver a master class in bike racing strategies and tactics. Armed with strategies and tactics learned over thousands of races, cyclists and cycling fans will learn how to read a race—and see how to win it.

Bike racing is called a rolling chess game for a reason. Sure, a high pain threshold and a killer VO2max are helpful. But if you’re in it to win it, you need race smarts, and a little undetectable help. Starting breaks, forming alliances, microdoping, managing a lapped field, setting up a sprint—on every page, Horner and Smith reveal new secrets to faster racing and better results.

Smith and Horner dissect common mistakes, guiding riders with lessons learned from decades of racing experience. Reading the Race reveals the veteran’s eye view on:

Assembling the best possible team
Crafting strategies around the team, course, and rivals
Reacting instantly to common scenarios
Releasing bio passport data without understanding it
Making deals and combines
Breaks, echelons, blocking
Pack protocol and etiquette
Finishing in the prize money or on the podium
Winning the group ride

Whether you’re a new racer, an aspiring pro, a team manager, or even a roadside fan, Reading the Race will elevate your cycling IQ and hemoglobin for better racing.

Paperback with illustrations throughout.
7″ x 9″, 256 pp., $18.95, 9781937715106

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I'll put and end to this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

Thanks Stella for setting this issue straight. Looks like it was from a stage and NOT from a rest day ride.

"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."